Jeep TJ spits and sputters when started cold?

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
My 2004 TJ 4.0L will spit and sputter when it is started cold, it will run and sound normal when it gets to about 150 degrees. Is this normal or is there something wrong if so what could be the problem?

pookie

Observer
Where in NC are you? I'm assuming we have about the same weather, my 02 TJ 4.0 is parked outside all winter and I haven't had any issues with sputtering or spitting. I have had what sounds like a air/vaccum leak on some really really cold days, but after just a few seconds that goes away too.

Is it missing and continuing to run or does it cut out and die? Are you giving it any gas when this happens or just letting it idle on its own? How is your gas level when this happens? Has it been wet and watery when this happens?

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Sounds like it is lean. Any CEL codes? First check should be vacuum lines. My '05 has one that was loose from new right below the throttle body on the side of the manifold. I zip tied it.

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
I live about a hour from raleigh, i let it idle on its own it will spit and sputter and sound like its about to cut off but then i will start to idle normal but still sounds bad till it gets warmed up, and i just let it idle on its own i dont give it any gas, but sometimes when iturn key it will spit and sputter then cut off but crank back up fine this has only happend a few times. I havent been able to find a pattern of when it happens.

GFA

Adventurer
Hate to butt in but I recently bought an 04 LJ for my son that had issues this AM also. It would not idle on its own without me giving it throttle to keep it running. Otherwise it would shut off instantly. It was fine after me babying it for 45-60 seconds though. I've also been having occasional low idle issues, like 350-400 rpm in gear (auto) but not stalling. Live in raleigh, temp was 18° this am when I tried to make a biscuit run..

Low idle makes me think IAC but I'm not sure what the deal was this AM

Rubicon4URE

Adventurer
I was planning on changing the spark plugs before i goto Uwharrie soon so hopefully that will help. Thanks for the help!

Doctor W

Adventurer
My 2004 TJ 4.0L will spit and sputter when it is started cold, it will run and sound normal when it gets to about 150 degrees. Is this normal or is there something wrong if so what could be the problem?

Sounds like it could be running real lean due to a cracked exhaust manifold (which these are very prone to) which seals up as it heats up and expands up and seals up at least partially.

wADVr

Adventurer
Could be way off but at least do yourself the favor of checking the battery voltage before and after starting... My XJ did this and I kept thinking all these different things ignoring the battery because well it cranked just fine. A weak battery and/or alternator (cold weather amplified) will cause poor idle and even make you have to keep your foot on it to keep running. Like I said could be completely wrong but it's easy to check if you have a voltmeter and was totally worth it in my case.

Tmacphee

Could be way off but at least do yourself the favor of checking the battery voltage before and after starting... My XJ did this and I kept thinking all these different things ignoring the battery because well it cranked just fine. A weak battery and/or alternator (cold weather amplified) will cause poor idle and even make you have to keep your foot on it to keep running. Like I said could be completely wrong but it's easy to check if you have a voltmeter and was totally worth it in my case.

I had the same experience the beginning of this winter with my XJ 4.0. It would start but would run very rough unless I kept on the gas a little. It was the battery which after a couple weeks of this couldn't start it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1