Jeep xj lift tire combo?

alexrex20

Explorer
Wow, thread of misinformation here :)

The 8.8 in my TJ was roughly $400 installed, counting the new no mile 8.8 (thought I doubt any of those are still available). At the time I couldn't find any D44s in that price range and a 9" under about $1500 really wasn't an option either.

for $400 you could've put a 9in under your truck. if you couldn't find one, then you weren't looking hard enough.

8.8 'disappointing' over a D35? really?

yes, really.

alosix

Expedition Leader
for $400 you could've put a 9in under your truck. if you couldn't find one, then you weren't looking hard enough.

yes, really.

Please give an example of a vehicle with a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, with disc brakes, that has roughly the same width that a Jeep XJ/TJ/YJ needs..

And for that matter, I guess the J8's rear D60 is a terrible axle as well isn't it.

alexrex20

Explorer
Those are quite the hold grail junkyard find for these. But in my exp they are quite rare.

Was more referring to you fabled 9"

to each his own...

if i were to swap axles, i would not be content with only swapping the rear. the D30 is a great axle, especially with the Super 30 kit, but i like to do it right the first time. in that case, you can easily find a D44/9in combo for a few hundred bucks, albeit with the cast wedges for front radius arms. so you're right that there's no all-conquering 9in that would match well with the stock front axle on an XJ.

it would almost be cheaper to swap in a D44 front and 9in rear, than it would be to get a custom 9in to match whatever factory axle you have on the front.

i still maintain that i would "do it right the first time." this off road thing is a contagious bug that spreads like a wild fire. there are so many things i would do differently, if i knew then what i know now. swapping an 8.8 onto the rear of an XJ out of convenience would be one of those things i regret.

i've seen sets of complete TJ/JK D44s go on ebay/craigslist/forums for relatively cheap. just sayin...

alosix

Expedition Leader
Or why not some Rockwells out of an army deuce and a half? :ylsmoke:

I think Rocks are c-clip.. so I guess they would be an epic fail as well :coffeedrink:

Having done a bunch of work to a buggy on rockwells I really never want to see a set of those again. Cheap axles that become $$ to make work the way you'd want them to.

alexrex20

Explorer
Having done a bunch of work to a buggy on rockwells I really never want to see a set of those again. Cheap axles that become $$ to make work the way you'd want them to.

D60 and 14b are the axles to beat these days, if only because you can easily get replacement parts for trail-side repairs, even when you're in BFE Texas. :D

alosix

Expedition Leader
D60 and 14b are the axles to beat these days, if only because you can easily get replacement parts for trail-side repairs, even when you're in BFE Texas. :D

Indeed.. my other boxy jeep is a D44/14bolt.. only a D44 'cause the D60 dodge 2nd gen front end uses the same shafts as the 8 Lug D44 and I'm not in the mood to change it till it becomes a maint issue.

Though, to the OP.. NO 14 bolt :) I don't think that 31s will even get the center section off the ground it hangs soo low :)

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies. Well, I guess a question would be then, since I have the 8.8, should I go with 33s? Or just stay with the planned 31s?

To answer your question... you'll be fine with 31s.

I done the swap both ways several times... 8.25 to either 8.8 or D44. Both are significant upgrades, even if you only consider the options/upgrades available compared to the 8.25

I have preferred the D44 because you have virtually unlimited upgrade capability and a bit more clearance. But both are great upgrades.

For a proper setup, you will need 4.10 gears to go with the 31s and if you go to lockers, use either a TruTrac or a selectable like an OX, Elocker or ARB
You can get any of those for the 8.8

And as a side note, there is a TON of bad or inaccurate info in this thread. Anything over an 8.8 or D44 is WAY overkill on and XJ destined for 31s or 33s

Good luck with your mods.

Xjaddiction

Observer
What Jeep guy said. Remember, you have a unibody. No need to sling a bunch of weight under there. The 8.8 is a perfect fit with the HP 30 IMOP. I think the 8.25 29 spline under many of those Cherokees aren't bad either. I ran a Chromoed, Warn Hubed 30, lok-rite locked, 4:56 geared, with an 8.25 29 splined rear with no-slip, 4:56 geared on.... oh my goodness, say it isn't so.... 35" SS Trxus's MT's, on a 15x10" rim. I wheeled the heck out tof the Jeep, and daily drove it... Never, ever a problem in five years of driving!

With an auto, and some driving sense (read, "oh, I can make it", pedal to the floor style drivers get some 60's, reinforce the unibody, build an interior cage etc., etc...) your 8.8, or better yet, sell that sucker and get yourself a bolt in 29 spline 8.25, will do just fine up to a 35's.

I did rock crawl mine, but I'm not a pedal to the metal style driver. I also cleaned and maintained the XJ on a regular basis. I've seen non c-clipped turdy fives hold up to 38's with a good driver, on some rediculous terrain.

People spend too much time and money worrying about the "what if" titans of the keyboard (web-wheelers). If your worried about getting back out of the woods, then your not prepared. You should always carry spare shafts (the 8.25 has the same length shafts, so you need only carry one), and know how to work on your Jeep. Changing axle shafts is easy work for most Jeepers. AND, I'll bet that spare shaft will sit back there taking up space and collecting dust.

Quit worrying about that rear axle, go get a bolt in 8.25, throw your 31's on there, and go wheeling. Truely the best money spent, is on; Lockers, especially manual ones like the ARB for the front, a winch, tools, and some spare shafts and u-joints. A pic of my old girl... miss her!

635256179205_0_ALB.jpg

709845507105_0_ALB.jpg

P.S. I hate to see some of the replies on here that talk about 14 bolts, and deuce axles, even joking like that is so much like the JU boards of web-wheelin USA.This board is much better than that!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1