Jeeps could get diesel engines

Bodo

Adventurer
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...1/04/jeeps-will-get-diesel-engines/1?csp=cars

CEO Michael Manley said Jeep would start with diesels on the Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee in the U.S. and Canada within two or three years, reports Brent Snavely of the Detroit Free Press. Diesel engines could help Jeep improve its fuel economy and would give customers another option against high gas prices.

"Diesel in some of our models makes absolute sense," Manley told the Free Press in Auburn Hills, Mich., as he revealed six specialized Jeeps that will participate later this month at a the annual Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah, like the one shown in the photo above. "But I still have to make sure there is a sufficient marketplace here to make it make sense from a business perspective."

We don't want to hear 'could'. We want to hear 'WILL'....

Still pretty exciting!

3Deserts

Observer
More info, with pics, of some intriguing Jeeps, including a Cherokee seemingly tailor-made for this crowd. With a diesel. Maddeningly, this 2011 model is for export only.

From the site:

"Done up to look like a zebra, this “Cherokee”—known as the Liberty here in the U.S.—is a built-for-export 2011 model equipped with the 2.8-liter turbo-diesel four-cylinder. This Cherokee is equipped with rock rails, skidplates, a compact refrigerator inside, and a roof rack complete with awning. Sporting a three-inch suspension lift, 32-inch tires, and an air locker in the rear differential, this truck shouldn’t have much trouble with rough terrain, but even if it does, at least you’ll have cold beer while help is on the way."

http://blog.caranddriver.com/jeep-b...t-vehicles-to-annual-moab-easter-jeep-safari/

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Im not going to get excited till I see them hit the show room floor! Been hearing such things for years!

Same here. I work in computers and technology, and we have a phrase for whenever someone eludes to some new and amazing technology that never happens and it is "vaporware".

catfish

I would love that new Cherokee, :wings::drool:
But I know that two things will kill it.
1. Its a diesel and domestic market likes Diesel trucks, not cars,
2. It wouldn't appeal to the target market, Soccer Moms.

uzj100

Adventurer
Turbo diesel 4 door unlimited Rubicon is only thing that will get me out of my 2000 - 100 Series Land Cruiser with 176k miles. Are you listening Jeep? Get with the program and get the diesels in the states. There are many people like me ready to car shop again. Come on Jeep, you can do it.

:rally_guys:

Last edited:

chrismc

Adventurer
Turbo diesel 4 door unlimited Rubicon is only thing that will get me out of my 2000 - 100 Series Land Cruiser with 176k miles. Are you listening Jeep? Get with the program and get the diesels in the states. There are many people like me ready to car shop again. Come on Jeep, you can do it.

Turbo diesel 4 door unlimited Rubicon is only thing that will get me out of my 2006 turbo diesel Liberty. :D

uzj100

Adventurer
There are at least 7 people at my company that represent many different age groups and financial status that want a td wrangler. I have many friends outside of work that want one as well. Very strange. I think Jeep is underestimating on this one.

:rally_guys:

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Turbo diesel 4 door unlimited Rubicon is only thing that will get me out of my 2006 turbo diesel Liberty. :D

Heck it wouldn't even have to be a Rubicon for me to be interested. If Jeep offered a four door Wrangler with a TD my wife would have one parked in the driveway. If Jeep offered a Wrangler pickup with a TD I would have one for my work truck. Wonder if Jeep is listening.
I know at least one soccer mom (I am married to her) who would love to drive a diesel Jeep. She keeps looking at Volkswagens TDI's right now, she loves the MPG they get.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Soccer moms....

I would love that new Cherokee, :wings::drool:
But I know that two things will kill it.
1. Its a diesel and domestic market likes Diesel trucks, not cars,
2. It wouldn't appeal to the target market, Soccer Moms.

The thing I don't get is, I see lots of soccer moms driving TDI VWs, so why do the manufacturers think they would buy trucks with a TDI?

3Deserts

Observer

Turbo diesel 4 door unlimited Rubicon is the only thing that would get me to ever buy a vehicle brand new off a dealer lot again.

...I think.

uzj100

Adventurer
That is even a better statement. I would go order one and I did not think that would ever happen again since driving used Land Cruisers.

RedDog

Explorer
I love my TJ but as long as diesels are available in things like VW Touregs, I won't buy another Jeep without one. They DO sell them elsewhere and they themselves equip nearly every RAM truck sold locally with such a choice. No more excuses. The option is there next time or I move on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1