JK/JL Jeep Camper Concept

Mules

The last two weeks have been a bit of a blur in the shop with a ton of progress. Long story short: the Jeep camper is done! The last two big things that I finished were the water system and the new lightweight carbon fiber bed platform. The interior has a really nice feel with a “daytime mode" couch arrangement that converts into a nice bed that is way more comfortable than before (with backpacking air pads under the Hest mattress).

In other big news, Yvonne and I put the camper on the scales yesterday before going on our first test trip with the finished camper. The new curb weight with a full tank of fuel and everything finished is 570 lb under the gross weight rating, so I’m pretty happy with the current vehicle weight. With Yvonne and I both in it, that should give us about 250 lb of capacity for all of our provisions. We’ll do an all up weigh-in with us and our provisions in it as we head out on our next trip.

Our test trip last night went really well. It was really comfortable and nice to finally have all the creature comforts working. Note in the interior photo the little red light on the oven means that our tacos were being cooked.

View attachment 834498

View attachment 834500

View attachment 834501
Amazing build and thanks for sharing progress with us. You should be proud, as this is one of the best DIY builds there is.

Now it's time to stop working so hard and enjoy it!

Old Stout

Quote from the comments in the Expo West 'Top Rigs' article:

"geez, they could sell a ton of those Jeep Wabi Sabi things"

:cool::D;)
No commentary yet in expo Cruiser forums, but there was an Enduro box on a Land Cruiser at West that was similar in build/details, aimed at maybe a Maltec alternate? If Enduro could put on a cruiser, would probably be able to do a Jeep adaptation. Gear Junkie said it was $215K, $90K+ for the Land Cruiser and $125K to $140K for the camper and vehicle upgrades, benchmarks to an estimate a Wabi Sabi special for $125K as a ball park?

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Amazing build and thanks for sharing progress with us. You should be proud, as this is one of the best DIY builds there is.

Now it's time to stop working so hard and enjoy it!
Thanks. It was nice to hit the road for the last week and just enjoy it. It was really comfortable for Yvonne and I, and everything worked quite well. It's a nice setup for us.

DSC_2367.jpg

Last edited:

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Quote from the comments in the Expo West 'Top Rigs' article:

"geez, they could sell a ton of those Jeep Wabi Sabi things"

:cool::D;)
Ha, that's funny :)

I have had a ton of email requests lately asking if I will make more of these, and a bunch of people at Expo West asked if I would consider starting a business making them. In a way it would be fun to make more, but my head spins just thinking about the logistics of doing it right and doing due engineering diligence on a product like this. It would be a big undertaking.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Looking good!! What is the blue stuff on the floor?

View attachment 835846
It’s a soft type of foam gym mat (the stuff that fits together like a puzzle). Yvonne and I thought that the blue color might brighten up the otherwise black/gray/white interior a little. It’s really comfortable, lightweight, and it makes the habitat feel quiet and warm. We might need to replace it every few years if it gets scuffed up, but we like it so far, and it’s really easy and inexpensive to replace if needed. Right now, it comes out in one section, so you can pull it out, clean, and reinstall it in just a few minutes. Also, you can’t see it in the photo, but the flooring right by the entry door is a grated rubber mat that helps remove sand and stuff from your feet when you come in. I did the same thing on our old Unimog, and it worked well, so I did it again on this vehicle. It seems to really help keep the habitat clean.

P.s. As you can see in the photo (Stephan Edwards took that photo at the show), there is a lot of standing height in the back, and it seats four people on the couches during the day. It’s a nice volume. Also, the camper almost looks staged in that photo with the fruit on the counter and such, but that’s just genuinely how it was when Stephan came by to talk.

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
No commentary yet in expo Cruiser forums, but there was an Enduro box on a Land Cruiser at West that was similar in build/details, aimed at maybe a Maltec alternate? If Enduro could put on a cruiser, would probably be able to do a Jeep adaptation. Gear Junkie said it was $215K, $90K+ for the Land Cruiser and $125K to $140K for the camper and vehicle upgrades, benchmarks to an estimate a Wabi Sabi special for $125K as a ball park?
I’ve chatted with Enduro periodically over the last few years, and Yvonne and I got to take a really good look at the Enduro box on the Land Cruiser at Expo West. It’s a super nice camper, and I think it is worth that price to the right traveler. They did a great job on that camper for sure and they are nice people. I like their approach and attention to detail.

I talked with Bryon Dorr (Gear Junkie) at the show, and I think those numbers are about right.

Johnboyy

Congrats on finishing the build, it's a great design and between this thread and Dan's videos it's given a great insight into the design process.

I've a question on the roof. Did ye consider a euro style pop top?

1716587470912.png

With elevating/parallel hinges which gives a bit of raise even on the low side. I'm guessing maybe the weather resistance wasn't sufficient?

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Long story short: the Jeep camper is done!
Awesome build. And it is great to see it done. I'm sure it will give you many happy miles and experiences like your other great rigs have.
You know your rigs are a hit, when long after you have parted with them, they are still associated with you.
Porsche 911RSR
Ferrari Daytona
Lamborghini Countach
Wabi-sabi Unimog

05/27/2024
wsu.png

LostInTheWorld

Builder/Traveler
Congrats on finishing the build, it's a great design and between this thread and Dan's videos it's given a great insight into the design process.

I've a question on the roof. Did ye consider a euro style pop top?

View attachment 835926

With elevating/parallel hinges which gives a bit of raise even on the low side. I'm guessing maybe the weather resistance wasn't sufficient?
Yup, I totally considered a euro style pop top. I think they can be really nice. I also considered a side hinged setup, a flip top, and a full vertical lift configuration. I think they all would be good on this camper in their own way, but in the end, the front hinged wedge was very lightweight, simple, strong, and made the solar wiring easy. I’m quite happy with the living space of the wedge right now. It’s a lot of room in the back of the habitat, and the lower height up front seems fine for such a small camper. When we are hanging out in the habitat, it’s easy to forget that we are in the back of a jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad

Members online