JKU FrontRunner Roof Rack

FR-Steve

Can someone explain to me why you need the Tent Mount kit for the FR Rack? Couldn't you just mount the tent directly to the slats of the rack?

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...-RUNNER-SLIMLINE-RACK-TENT-MOUNT-KIT-p95.html

Our RTT has an aluminum extrusion that you slide a bolt through to mount it, our racks also have the same bolting system. This makes it impossible to get a wrench in to secure the RTT to a flat slat. The extra riser makes it easier to install/remove and lets it sit evenly over the side of the rack. Thanks!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Steve and Tina: Thanks for the input.
From what I can tell on the website, this also allows for easy removal of the freedom panels with the roof rack mounted and also allows you to run without the top at all ... correct?
Now if you could determine a way for the soft top users to mount this without their top leaking, I think it would be a perfect rack! Much stronger than the Gobi I looked at (from an overall strength stand point).
D

voodoojk

Adventurer
For eveyone loving the Gobi..Never thought of this until it was pointed out to me last year but the Gobi mounts to the body up front and then to the actual frame in the rear. Thats 2 seperate "twistings" going on there. Frame twists oppsite of the body sometimes right? hmm...problem? maybe..maybe not.

love the frt runner. looks great

gwayms

Observer
JKU Front Runner rack

Figured I would throw in my 2cents. I had pretty much the exact rack on my 01 XJ, the thing was pretty awesome. It was really strong. I had an Eezi-Awn RTT on it, I use to walk all over that rack and never felt it flex at all. It was really easy to mount the RTT with the hardware that came with it. We also had the rack loaded down with RTT, wood, bag and 3 people sleeping in the tent, no problem. I would recommend them to anyone based on what i know. The only thing i dont like about this one is removing the top, but I think you get that problem with any rack.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I know this rack and the AEV rack are light at 68ish LB for comparison dose anyone have the dry weight of the Gobi???

FR-Steve

Steve and Tina: Thanks for the input.
From what I can tell on the website, this also allows for easy removal of the freedom panels with the roof rack mounted and also allows you to run without the top at all ... correct?
Now if you could determine a way for the soft top users to mount this without their top leaking, I think it would be a perfect rack! Much stronger than the Gobi I looked at (from an overall strength stand point).
D

Thanks Dendy! Yes, the rack sits high enough from the freedom panels to allow for easy removal. You can run it without a roof at all because the mounting passes through the hard top to the roll bar. Of course you will have to remove the rack before removing the top though.

We have been talking about a soft top solution, but we do have our hands full with the release of this already!

pilosopo

Adventurer
For eveyone loving the Gobi..Never thought of this until it was pointed out to me last year but the Gobi mounts to the body up front and then to the actual frame in the rear. Thats 2 seperate "twistings" going on there. Frame twists oppsite of the body sometimes right? hmm...problem? maybe..maybe not.

love the frt runner. looks great

Yes and No.

The lowermost bracket that the rack pivots on clamps to the lip of the tub. From there another bracket ties that bracket to the frame using the two bolt holes the are used for the stock bumper.

It has not proved to be an issue in use for me, even with my roof tent and fuel up there.

Aren't some rocksliders attached to both the body/tub and frame bolts? I think it would be more of a problem there.

The one thing I do know is my Gobi is rock solid and quiet. It seems the Front Runner rack will be similar. If its as good as their roof tent (which I have) it'll be great

dp7197

Adventurer
Would love to know if a Maxtraxx would slide under the rack - between the rack and the hardtop-like the table. Would be a nice place to carry them.

Get the JK SLIMLINE II EXTREME Roof Rack for 10% OFF through Cyber Monday!!

Through Cyber Monday, take 10% off all Front Runner brand products using coupon code giveme10 at checkout. If you're in the market for roof racks, rack accessories, tents, water tanks, chairs, tables, and other Front Runner brand camping gear... visit frontrunneroutfitters.com or your favorite Front Runner dealer before the sale ends! (don't forget, Slimline II roof racks always ship free!)

View attachment 132202

dp7197

Adventurer
Any more pictures FR? I understand the height described above the hardotp, but would love to see some pics of Maxtrax slid under the rack - i.e. slide into a track mounted on the underside of the rack like the table.

:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1