JKU Lift/Wheel/Tire combo Sanity Check

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
Some good info here. Trying to decided what lift in the 2.5" range will stand up to a RTT for four months out of the year plus the rear full to the max of gear. Was told the AEV rides well but will sag over time so I'm looking for that balance of road manners and longevity.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Not to mention, the weight per tire penalty at each corner going 315/35 versus 285 is about 12 pounds on average. That's a 12 pound penalty in a larger rolling mass. That affects both acceleration and braking efficiency in a significant manner.

exactly. thats 12 lbs each corner. it all adds up. plus the change in ratio going to the larger tire, etc. 33/285 are the sweet spot for jk if you don't really want to mess with gearing.

kojackJKU

Some good info here. Trying to decided what lift in the 2.5" range will stand up to a RTT for four months out of the year plus the rear full to the max of gear. Was told the AEV rides well but will sag over time so I'm looking for that balance of road manners and longevity.

I am going to get shot with bucketfuls here. I use stock springs, with teraflex spacers (any would do), with air bags in the rear. Mine rides 2" high in front and close to that with the bags in. I load mine with a pop up camper, full of gear etc. I am sitting the same with the trailer on and gear in as it sit empty. My ride stays the same loaded or un loaded with weight. I have 195,000 on my rig now and my springs are not sagged as I thought they were. I am going to goto 19/60 springs (just because), but I am completely satisfied with my setup on and off road. My rig does EVERYTHING we want it to. And then some. I am running monroe reflex monotubes with my setup as well. The ride is awesome on and off road with much more "composure" over every terrain. On road ride is miles better, and off road ride is miles better. The last thing i did was install Teraflex lower control arms and steering stabilizer. The lower control arms do what the brackets do. I have driven both setups and there is no difference in running either. It may be better on higher lifted rigs to use the drop brackets, but on the low lift, the control arms are better since I don't loose valuable ground clearance. I spent alot of time trying to figure out what I wanted under my rig. This setup is cost effective, a proven performer and long lasting. Just remember to keep a few psi in your bags.

Last edited:

Outside somewhere

Overland certified public figure brand ambassador
I am going to get shot with bucketfuls here. I use stock springs, with teraflex spacers (any would do), with air bags in the rear. Mine rides 2" high in front and close to that with the bags in. I load mine with a pop up camper, full of gear etc. I am sitting the same with the trailer on and gear in as it sit empty. My ride stays the same loaded or un loaded with weight. I have 195,000 on my rig now and my springs are not sagged as I thought they were. I am going to goto 19/60 springs (just because), but I am completely satisfied with my setup on and off road. My rig does EVERYTHING we want it to. And then some. I am running monroe reflex monotubes with my setup as well. The ride is awesome on and off road with much more "composure" over every terrain. On road ride is miles better, and off road ride is miles better. The last thing i did was install Teraflex lower control arms and steering stabilizer. The lower control arms do what the brackets do. I have driven both setups and there is no difference in running either. It may be better on higher lifted rigs to use the drop brackets, but on the low lift, the control arms are better since I don't loose valuable ground clearance. I spent alot of time trying to figure out what I wanted under my rig. This setup is cost effective, a proven performer and long lasting. Just remember to keep a few psi in your bags.

Thanks for the info. This jeep will never have more than 3" of lift and 33's, the only reason I want to lift at all is because of the weight the jeep will carry and I think I can get that done with 2.5" or less. Just want to make sure I'm not wasting money on springs that will sag with minimal use and so on. Will have to take a look into airbags. I've read mix reviews in the past with people swearing by them or swearing at them because they failed lol.

kojackJKU

The way I look at the airbags, mine has a lifetime no questions asked warranty, if one fails, I will get home. Replace it free of charge. I am on 2 years now with them and no issues. I think most issues come with people flexing the bejesus out of their jeeps with them.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer

My recommendation, after starting with the Teraflex 2.5" lift, is to go Old Man Emu with the 300lb front/600lb rear overload springs, which is what makes up my suspension now.

kojackJKU

I will post a picture of my rig with about 400lbs of stuff in the back for my new business. I have less than 10 lbs of air in the bags. the same amount that I use when empty. impressive it does not squat even with the minimal amount of air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad