"King Leonidas" Build thread!

jnaut

Observer
Little to unnoticeable cracks in the clear coat are showing up but that's it. A little rock rash but you have to look for it. This is also going on about a years worth of wear and tear.

Well that's not bad. I'm worried about them looking like an old barn after one time out off-road, but it doesn't sound like that's a major problem. I fully understand they'll get some nicks on them here or there, but I've seen some really bad painted rims. Probably because the painter didn't to the proper prep work?

michaels

Explorer
Bummer, I wish I could get up there this weekend but I've got a formal. You guys have fun.

Michael,
I burned you a disk of the pix and have it in an envelope I'll drop in the mail tomorrow. Sorry it took so long.

comeon jeff! girl sucks! rovers are cooool!

but seriously, bring her along and forget the formal!

thanks for getting that out to me. you had some really good shots.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Well that's not bad. I'm worried about them looking like an old barn after one time out off-road, but it doesn't sound like that's a major problem. I fully understand they'll get some nicks on them here or there, but I've seen some really bad painted rims. Probably because the painter didn't to the proper prep work?

Generally speaking, the paint works well if you do it right. I mean, the factory paints them... But, I took, the time to sand mine, and sand blasted the parts I couldn't reach. Just to scuff them. Thoroughly cleaned with a pre-cleaner. Then painted. The clearcoat is the key.

The paint doesn't stand a chance against the rocks, but generally, the paint holds up, even when churning through mud, etc.

PNorvel, check out my build thread for a picture of my green truck with bronze rims.

ha ha, if only that were true. You know how everyone says the 22re is bullet proof? I've had two trucks with 22re's and both have grenaded on me. I had to sell the first one, the second one I still have and now it has a rebuilt engine. They have there fair share of problems, it's just easier and cheaper to fix.

Yeah, I seem to have better luck than most. The Zetec in the Focus is supposed to be a weak engine, but I've abused the crap out of mine, and no problems. It's suffered pretty severe detonation while tuning a turbo setup. As well as massive rich and massive lean conditions. 70,000 turbocharged KM with the stock rods and everything. 15-20 trackdays, and several bouts of uncontrolled boost spikes (over 20 psi) when my boost control solenoid house ruptured....

And my D2 has been fine too.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Prep is key if your planning on painting the wheels. I used 320 grit sand paper on everything( If you can get a sandblaster use that hands down). Wipe it down really well to get all the dust particles and crap off. Once that was done i did 10 light coats of color with some sanding in between to make sure there was a rough surface to adhere to. Then i followed with 10 light coats of clear coat.

IMG_7360.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0614.jpg

PC290078.jpg

A lot of people will disagree and say that painting is a waste of time and to powdercoat instead. I'm positive powdercoat holds up better, but you'll scuff up both no matter what. The thing is is that you can touch up the paint with the extra left over, or just run to the store and grab some. Now you can't do that with the powdercoating.

I don't know, maybe some have figured out that paint works fine for touch up on powdercoating, but I'm sure it wouldn't be an exact match.. In the end painting them yourself will be a lot cheaper and relatively look the same.

Paint: cheaper, able to touch up
Powdercoat: Expensive, not able to touch up, looks better if you don't scuff them up!

Peter

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, powdercoat would be a waste of money in my opinion. No surface treatment will hold up when you are removing the material beneath. That's what has happened to me. I'm sure the 245 tires arne't helping. But, I've got deep gouges well into the metal underneath. Not sure anybody will even mount new tires on these rims when the time comes...

jnaut

Observer
Yeah, powdercoat would be a waste of money in my opinion. No surface treatment will hold up when you are removing the material beneath. That's what has happened to me. I'm sure the 245 tires arne't helping. But, I've got deep gouges well into the metal underneath. Not sure anybody will even mount new tires on these rims when the time comes...

Word. x2 on the powder coating. You gouge those rims, they're gouged. No sense in spending money powdercoating. Thanks for the advice. I think I'm definitely going to do this. What kind of clearcoat was used? You said you used a paint for wheels, but I didn't see you specify the type of clearcoat?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I used a basic Duplicolour semi-flat black paint with no clear coat on my trackday car wheels. Those are still nice and satiny black, they've even been through one tire mounting without much marking at all. They are slightly stained from brake dust, but given the use and neglect, I can't complain.

On my Disco wheels, I used Duplicolour Bronze wheel paint, and Duplicolor Wheel Clearcoat. Probably 2-3 coats of each. The clear helps the paint deal with mud and sand. And micro scratches are just in the clear, instead of the colour.

I wouldn't put much more time or money into wheels that get used. It's just a waste. I mean really, it's the same story with the whole truck. Trucks that get used, don't look like show trucks. Something I learned about performance cars too. I spent a small fortune on fancy turbo headers with a mirror polish like you see on the show cars... And they went mottled gold after a few days of driving, and were black and blue after just one trackday. I realized the show cars just NEVER get driven, and the HP claims have to be faked, because they've never been hot.

pnorvell

Adventurer
Word. x2 on the powder coating. You gouge those rims, they're gouged. No sense in spending money powdercoating. Thanks for the advice. I think I'm definitely going to do this. What kind of clearcoat was used? You said you used a paint for wheels, but I didn't see you specify the type of clearcoat?

Yeah it was Duplicolor for both. Got it at Napa. I think the total came to 50ish or so. Worked great for me so far.

NA EP3

Observer
Nice build. I wish I could wheel back in Alabama. North Dakota has nothing to offer for wheeling.

IMG_7359.jpg

By the way is that an S60 Spec R?

~C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1