KLR 650 Question (Engine Life)

TravelinLight

Observer
With maintenance how many miles should you expect from a KLR 650?

The meat of the question for an older bike on the secondary market. How many miles is too many miles for one of these rigs?

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Hey Sean,
This is a pretty loaded question with so many variables. If it was me I'd be looking for something with low miles, something that appears to be well taken care of (like parked inside or mature owner) records of maintenance, ect..

If you're planning on taking it on long trips I would stick to a lower mileage bike like under 15k miles.

I have a bit over 38k on my 2000 KLR right now and other than some oil consumption it's running a great as ever. I got it at 11k and it was using oil then too. It was not well maintained by the previous owners, but with the low miles I just went and baselined all the maintenance. I've been solid with replacing oil and other fluids regularly or as recommended by the owners manual. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a long trip right now. I even rode Baja last year with 37K on it and did over 1K miles with 800 being off-pavement. I flogged the heck out of it and it just kept purring..

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Mine is a daily driven 2000 KLR650. Purchased with 17k miles on the odometer for $1600 cash. Oxidized plastics. Cleaned it up and well maintained it is currently at 48k miles. Dun the doo-hickey, adjusted valves, oil changes, front/rear brake pads, sprockets and chains. Second set of tires. Clutch seems to be getting as little weaker. I suspect it will need attention maybe next year?
Pretty normal maintenance.
I have a back up plan in the garage. 2006 KLR650 with just over 3k miles :)

TravelinLight

Observer
Thanks guys, that is what I thought. I saw a very well kitted out bike for a reasonable price but it had very high miles. I'll keep looking for a better option with lower miles.

iluv83vettes

Adventurer
There are a few that I know of that have more than 100k. Do the doo and make sure the valves are in adjustment and they just keep going ... as long as you keep oil in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1