Land Rover 2.0

SeaRubi

Explorer
kellymoe said:
Whats the thinking behind a roller with synth line instead of the hawse? Friction?

I think it's pure *BLING* :bike_rider:

one argument in favor of the synthetic rollers is that abrasion on the steel rollers will slowly eat into the synth. line, while abrasion on the synthetic rollers is more forgiving. there's probably other subtle improvements in there. but mostly I still think it's just cool bling :bike_rider:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Ike, he was asking what the differences are between a roller fairlead with the plastic rollers versus a hawse fairlead. I didn't know about the plastic rollers at the time I switched to a synthetic rope and just bought a aluminum hawse.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Mike_rupp said:
Ike, he was asking what the differences are between a roller fairlead with the plastic rollers versus a hawse fairlead. I didn't know about the plastic rollers at the time I switched to a synthetic rope and just bought a aluminum hawse.

I had a roller with synth line for a short time. The synth was so smooth that it had the tendency to slide on the roller, the roller just stood still essentially acting like a hawse. When I had steel cable it created friction on the roller to actually roll it.

Wondering what others experiences are. I like the idea of the hawse mainly for simplicity, no moving parts, plus it is a tad lighter than a roller lead which really is nominal.
So why the roller with synth when the trend is hawse with synth? Just wondering.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
There's two sides of the fence...

One side says the only thing the Hawse buys you is clearance and weight reduction. Any friction you can take out of a system the less ware and tare on the equipment and more power you can put to the load. Rolling friction is much less then sliding, thus the argument for rollers.

The other side says that you do need to be careful to keep your synthetic winch line away from the steel roller housing. If your vehicle is at extreme angles while side winching it is possible to cut the winchline on the sharp steel housing.

Whether you use a roller fairlead or a hawse fairlead you always need to careful that your line does not come in contact with sharp edges on your bumper. Looking at the bumper, due to the front recovery points, I would think that an argument for the rollers would be in the event of side pull winching situation the rollers may give the clearance needed for the recovery.

Ultimately IMO, it boils down to the personal preference of the owner and their specific set up and considerations to the weight recovery angles, approach angles, etc for their use.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
2886426284_cacfde9555_o.jpg

2.0 performed flawlessly on my recent trip to the Land Rover National Rally. I ended up throwing new springs in the front and rear just before I left which helped the ride quite a bit.

The Superwinch was put to the test with a massive recovery out of Bobby's Hole, in which we pulled a dead Range Rover out of there.

clalor

Observer
Excellent photos, as always.

You mentioned on page 3 of your Best Land Rover Mod... Ever thread that the writeup of the rear door table on your Disco was going to show up in an upcoming issue of Overland Journal. Do you know if that's been published yet? I was looking through the listing of back issues, but didn't an see an article listed for a Discovery table. I only found a listing for a Jeep table in the 2009 gear guide issue (which is on it's way to me already).

jham

Adventurer
that is the prettiest land rover I have ever seen, hands down. Dang, nice find.

I agree with you, a white 99 sd is THE holy grail of rovers. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Adventurer
Having :::nervous tick::: Land Rover :::eye and neck twitch::: WITHDRAWALS!!!

:drool:

I need to get me a Rover QUICK!!!! I haven't been out and about in wayyy too long!

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Excellent photos, as always.

You mentioned on page 3 of your Best Land Rover Mod... Ever thread that the writeup of the rear door table on your Disco was going to show up in an upcoming issue of Overland Journal. Do you know if that's been published yet? I was looking through the listing of back issues, but didn't an see an article listed for a Discovery table. I only found a listing for a Jeep table in the 2009 gear guide issue (which is on it's way to me already).

Sorry...

Life has gotten in the way of the write up for the designer/builder... He's been fully restoring a 1960's Sunbeam.

It's really very simple, just time consuming and tedious...

My only gripe about the Roxtar Fab rear door panels is that they are fastened with plastic pins that are prone to snapping. My door and Rob's door is is held on by 1/4 20 machine screws. This is part of the tedious bit, drilling out all the previous holes and installing rivnuts.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
I agree on the rear door table... Marc sent me a materials list a few years back and it's one of the best mods on the truck. It turns a dirty rear bumper lunch to a fun (and clean) lunch break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1