Land Rover ideas for Jeeps

jgaz

Adventurer
Expanding dash switch/gauge space

Both of the factory radios in my 2006's are starting to fail - the rotary encoders (a.k.a. volume controls) have developed glitchy contacts so they no longer work reliably. They're sealed parts, so I can't disassembleb them and clean the contacts to make them work properly.

I don't need many radio features and probably will consider a single DIN retro-styled radio (I refuse to get a radio that has annoying animated graphics every time you turn it on).

But I don't like the look of the single DIN installation kits - making a smaller opening out of the larger factory rounded corner opening just looks like a hack to me.

I came across these in the Land Rover magazines:

IronGoatDash.jpg

RaptorConsole.jpg

They're an add-on consoles for a Land Rover Defender dash that provides extra space for gauges and switches. What if something like that could be made for a TJ?

A few concept drawings... first, a straight-ahead view:

SingleDinDash1s.jpg

It would be a console that overlays the factory center stack and protrudes a bit. This quarter side view illustrates that; I've drawn this one with an aluminum panel:

SingleDinDash2.jpg

Here's how it would work - the factory plastic gets cut out at the red dashed line and the new panel goes over the hole.

SingleDinDash2a.jpg

Another straight-ahead view. Might be able to fit two single DIN devices in there, this concept shows a radio, a CB and some switches.

SingleDinDashCB.jpg

It could also be a way to install a double DIN device along with some switches.

The panel could be cut out for any combinations of things - a single DIN radio, or maybe multiple gauges or lots of switches, or a single double DIN or whatever combination needed that could fit in the available space.

The panel could be aluminum as shown, or it could be painted metal or it could be plastic, it really doesn't matter since it's just a flat piece of material. The housing would need to be form-fitted to the factory shape so it looks like it belongs there.

I'm thinking about making a mold for the housing so housings could be made in fiberglass. Once finished and painted a matching color, it should look like it belongs there.

Dumb idea or good idea?
Jeff, You are probably aware of this option for a replacement radio but just in case I’ll list it below.

When my stock radio needed replacement I bought one of these for my LJ to keep the factory look but also to gain the aux. feature so I can use my iPod with it.
Old tech I know. It works for me.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Would this be called an RTGT? (Roof Top Ground Tent?)

The article gives no details, but it looks like this may be a ground tent on a rack platform:

RTGT2.jpg

Or maybe it's a custom/homemade RTT, the article gives no details.

RTGT1.jpg

RTGT3.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen an RTGT on a Jeep in the U.S. Doesn't seem like a bad idea if someone has a rack and can't afford (or doesn't want to spend on) a regular RTT.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
If you are doing an RTGT, a rack cover might be helpful:

RackCover.jpg

This looks like just a tarp:

RackCover2.jpg

I don't think most people load their racks with gear such that a rack cover like these would be a popular product here, but they're often seen on expedition Land Rovers.

Or how about a huge bag for stuff on the rack? Or maybe it's a tarp, can't tell from the photo.

RackBag.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a Land Rover idea I experimented with a bit on my LJ - swing-up hardtop sides. I've posted a bunch of times in this thread about what the British call "Gullwings" (a.k.a. swing-up cargo windows), but here's a full swing-up side:

SwingUpSides(1).jpg

Because of the curves of Jeep hardtops and because Jeep hardtops are one solid piece it would be a little more complicated to implement this for a Wrangler hardtop, but it would be possible to mod the sides of a JK/JKU factory hardtop to swing up.

I experimented with the idea on my LJ Safari Cab some years ago; I didn't implement it but I posed some photos showing how it might work.

SwingUp2.jpg

SwingUp4.jpg

SwingUp7.jpg

If I were to do this I would use lift-off hinges at the top of the panel similar to the Jeep's door hinges that allowed the panel to be removed completely.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
About a week ago I posted a couple of small items about storage on the visors: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-44#post-2901876

I've been thinking about the idea and drew this JK concept image as a discussion starter:

VisorConcept1.jpg

It's got elastic loops for long things like a tactical flashlight, pens and a tire pressure gauge and some shorter elastic loops for smaller things. It's also got a pocket with a flap for things that might not work well if held in place by elastic.

Put on your designer hats and with the image above as a discussion starter - what would be useful on a visor? (or maybe it's a dumb idea to begin with?).

Let's hear your ideas - if an idea sounds good I'll do a concept drawing and if enough people like the concept maybe I'll sew some for testing.

pith helmet

Great
About a week ago I posted a couple of small items about storage on the visors: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/land-rover-ideas-for-jeeps.218029/page-44#post-2901876

I've been thinking about the idea and drew this JK concept image as a discussion starter:

VisorConcept1.jpg

It's got elastic loops for long things like a tactical flashlight, pens and a tire pressure gauge and some shorter elastic loops for smaller things. It's also got a pocket with a flap for things that might not work well if held in place by elastic.

Put on your designer hats and with the image above as a discussion starter - what would be useful on a visor? (or maybe it's a dumb idea to begin with?).

Let's hear your ideas - if an idea sounds good I'll do a concept drawing and if enough people like the concept maybe I'll sew some for testing.
Great idea, especially for someone like me who leaves the visor down most of the time. That gum and lighter are gonna fall, though. Maybe the pocket could be good for paper work, insurance, registration etc. I like to not have to reach to glove box in a situation where the are needed.

What if it was more like the old Velcro wallet than the nice leather and canvas pockets you have done on your other projects? That way it would be flat enough to fold up and also secure enough not to dump any contents regardless of the position. Could also use a magnetic strip under the fabric as a closure.
Assuming tight closure: Maybe even if it was side-opening to the right it would be position neutral and easy to open and access with one hand.

I definitely think the flashlight and pen holders are something I’d use.

Last edited:

84-4runner

VisorConcept1.jpg

I actually like the mount for your garmin much better. Would you give us the details of which mount you used and where you ran the power?

jgaz

Adventurer
Maybe the pocket....

At times when volunteering in GCNP I use a binder clip to hold my parking pass when it’s not on the windshield.
I also keep a laminated card clipped there that has various gate codes that I usually can’t remember.

Neither are keep there permanently. Everything else lives in the console

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I actually like the mount for your garmin much better. Would you give us the details of which mount you used and where you ran the power?
It isn't really applicable to a factory hardtop, it's specific to the Safari Cab hardtop. The mount bolts to the loop that the factory Freedom Panels secure to, so it would be in the way of the Freedom Panels. The power is from a USB outlet in the overhead console.

GarminMount1.jpg

GarminMount2.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Great

Great idea, especially for someone like me who leaves the visor down most of the time. That gum and lighter are gonna fall, though. Maybe the pocket could be good for paper work, insurance, registration etc. I like to not have to reach to glove box in a situation where the are needed.

What if it was more like the old Velcro wallet than the nice leather and canvas pockets you have done on your other projects? That way it would be flat enough to fold up and also secure enough not to dump any contents regardless of the position. Could also use a magnetic strip under the fabric as a closure.
Assuming tight closure: Maybe even if it was side-opening to the right it would be position neutral and easy to open and access with one hand.

I definitely think the flashlight and pen holders are something I’d use.
Maybe the pocket....

At times when volunteering in GCNP I use a binder clip to hold my parking pass when it’s not on the windshield.
I also keep a laminated card clipped there that has various gate codes that I usually can’t remember.

Neither are keep there permanently. Everything else lives in the console
Thanks for the input.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
From Exmoor, bags attached to the bar behind the front seats of a Series Land Rover:

ExmoorBags.jpg

From Quadratec, bags attached to the back of the seats:

AsFeaturedIn.jpg

That's the Quadratec 30th Anniversary "YJL" Jeep build, intended to pay tribute to the YJ Sahara owned by the founder of Quadratec 30 years ago.

The YJ Sahara seats had map pockets on the back, and Quadratec wanted to do a modern version of those. They asked me to design the bags specifically for their YJL build, and asked Overland Outfitters to make them, so I did my part, Overland Outfitters did their part, and that is the result.

The same bags in my JKU:

JKUZipAndGo1024.jpg

And in my LJ:

LJZipAndGo1024.jpg

The JL/JK/Gladiator version is now in the Quadratec catalog: https://www.quadratec.com/p/overland-outfitters/zip-go-storage-bag-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt

Overland Outfitters will also be releasing the seat attachment for the LJ seats; they sent be a preproduction sample two weeks ago (I sewed the prototype seat attachments in the LJ photo above and then turned the design over to them).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Do you think a charcoal or wood stove is practical for overlanding? I can see how the wood version might be useful if you're camping somewhere there's readily available firewood, but carrying charcoal seems like it might be more trouble than carrying propane for the propane stoves most of us use?

CharcoalStove.jpg

Sam Watson's opinion of using something other than propane stoves:

SamCharcoalStove.jpg

Of course you'd need a nice way to carry the charcoal...

CharcoalBag.jpg

A link to the charcoal bag: https://www.campcover.co.za/product/charcoal-bag-ripstop/

Or maybe a slow cooker?

SlowCooker.jpg

Or how about this solar cooker from the Spring issue of LRO?

SolarCooker.jpg

What do you think of these non-propane options?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp