Lantern or Rope light AKA How do I illuminate the canopy?

4x4junkie

Explorer
how long would a strip run off of some double A batteries?

If you dimmed it way down it probably could last several hours to maybe a couple nights... Though at that point it probably wouldn't be much brighter than many of the other battery-powered options that are available (my tests show a full 5-meter LED strip (undimmed) pulls roughly 2¼ amps (between 25-30 watts) when hooked straight up to a 12 volt source, with a total light output I estimate between 1600-1800 lumens).

I think you're best off just hooking that to a cig-lighter plug with the dimmer wired inline and calling it good.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
For tent or canopy lighting I use a 450 lumen 120 volt LED bulb in a globe (plastic) fixture, suspended from the dome or frame center via a strip of Velcro one wrap.
I power it via a H/F 80 watt inverter and a small (35 AH) deep discharge battery.
Plenty of light for games or socialization (or reading if within a meter or so).
Tent light.jpg
(Sorry I cant seem to find a pic of it installed in a canopy).

Enjoy!

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
LED XMas lights plugged into a 12v cig lighter inverter. Very little draw.

merryXmas_zpsd944ed29.jpg

moodywizard

Adventurer
I was a big believer in coleman lanterns, until I finally switched over to Streamlight lanterns. The battery consumption is very low due to LED and they are very versatile. I use them to BBQ at night as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1