leer cap question

bac0701

Observer
i was looking into getting a double cab because i cant stand haveing no room in my single cab taco. I need room to carry people snowboards and surfboards.... i was looking on leer's website and they have an optioon for a boot and a removable window. do any of you guys have that option, can you chime in..the boot removes both windows?

GlennA

Adventurer
I don't have a Leer, but I had an A.R.E. several years back. The boot was an accordion style that fit with both windows removed. The pluses: heat and cool in the bed area, music in the bed area, access to the bed without getting out of the truck. The only real minus that I recall, is the increased road noise.

dnellans

Adventurer
I've got a boot on whatever brand cap i've got - can't even remember... and i'm mostly satisfied with it. it definitely doesn't seal 100% so in the carwash or torrential rain you'll get water down the back of the cab, but not in the bed so its not a big deal.

the boot also lets in some dust (its right around the top light that it doesn't seal 100%) but not enough that i've bothered doing anything about it in 5 years of dusty santa fe, NM or utah. other than that though i can't say there is any real issue with the boot, but on the
other hand it isn't particularly "handy" in any way. i've probably reached into the bed from the cab once in the whole time i've owned it.

if i were buying again i'd probably just go with whichever option is cheaper...

now wind-doors on the sides of the cab deserve MUCH more consideration!!

deadbeat son

Explorer
I bought a Leer cap and just went with the sliding front window as my DC has a sliding rear window. Although I can't pass particularly large items between the cab and the bed, it's handy enough.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I ordered my Leer with the removable window thinking that it would be nice to remove it and clean the rear window of the truck. But I never have removed it, I just spray a hose around in between the truck and the cap and that does a good enough job. I can hardly see out the back anyway.

The removable window does rattle and that bothers me, so if I had to do it over I would order a sliding window but not a removable window.

bac0701

Observer
thanks for the input everyone.. main concern is security for my surfboards might have to go with 4runner

bac0701

Observer
sorry im brining this back up, does anyone have any pictures of there cap with a boot...is it permentn? can you take off the cap and put the rear glass back in if you need the bed?

7wt

Expedition Leader
Boots were made for walking. I have a solid window on mine and I wouldn't have it any other way. I wanted a folding window so I could clean the truck's back window but the Leer guy said it wasn't worth it. He said it would be stronger having a fixed window, it would flex less offroad. I reluctantly agreed but I am glad I did. So far I have never felt the need to clean between the glass, it just doesn't get that dirty and since the light doesn't shine on it, you couldn't really tell anyway.

For your needs, I wouldn't carry a surfboard through the rear window anyway. That could make quite a mess of your noggin if you get in a wreck. Just hang in off the tailgate.

GlennA

Adventurer
sorry im brining this back up, does anyone have any pictures of there cap with a boot...is it permentn? can you take off the cap and put the rear glass back in if you need the bed?

The boot was glued to the cab and to the cap in mine. I am sure it could have been removed, but getting it resealed would have been a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1