Lexus GX550 Overtrail vs. Grenadier or new Toyota Land Cruiser?

nickw

Adventurer
Lexus GX model spec and feature comparisons

View attachment 815815

It looks like the Lexus GX550 Overtrail and Ineos Grenadier are essentially the same price, or at least close enough as configured to not be a significant discriminator. At retail, the new 2024/2025 Toyota Land Cruiser is suggested to start at the mid-$50K price point which is ~$15,000 cheaper than the other two.

The Toyota Land Cruiser will have the 2.4L Four cylinder light hybrid which will be a deal killer for some people. What it means in terms of MPG and additional maintenance is TBD. The GX550 with its Turbo V-6 and Grenadier with its BMW 3.0L turbo straight 6 are both going to be better for anyone pulling a trailer.

The new Land Cruiser and GX-550 seem to be similar in terms of other specifications with both apparently having a locking center differential and a rear locker versus the Grenadier which is triple locked with the "rough pack".

So, is the GX550 going to be a better option in terms of aftermarket support and utility? Service issues I think will be less as well since a Toyota dealer could probably fix most things needed to get home if some sort of failure in the field put it into "limp mode". The Grenadier to me is a little suspect with its BMW powertrain if I were to have an issue away from home though, a BMW dealer or mechanic may be able to patch things up for a get home capability though, I'm not sure that is allowed in terms of the support tools that would need to connect to it. I should note, my "home" dealer is both a BMW and Grenadier dealership.

So, assuming you want to add a front mounted winch and brush guard (cow catcher) along with a roof rack, drawer system in back, and sleep platform, Grenadier or GX-550 or, save ~$15,000 and go with a 2024/2025 Land Cruiser and possibly a little better MPG?

What do the RKI around here think when comparing these three? What have I missed or overlooked? What is your choice and why?

TIA,
Sid
I wouldn't be too sure about towing:
1) Toyota; 278 hp / 317 tq (326 hp / 465 tq combined w/electric)
2) Lexus; 349 hp / 479 tq
3) IG; 286 hp / 332 tq

The Toyota and IG are very close and not in the same league as the Lexus depending on how much emphasis you wanna put on the electric / hybrid part.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We voted with our $$'s and decided on a GX550 - proven track record, fairly robust platform and we have a local Toyota dealer and I'm not worried about the drivetrain in the Lexus.
Congrats! Is this to replace your Ram or an addition to the fleet?
What model did you go with?

nickw

Adventurer
Congrats! Is this to replace your Ram or an addition to the fleet?
What model did you go with?
I'll stick with Ram for towing but it's to replace the misses 2018 X5....it's on "Order" aka we told the gal we wanted one and told her our preferences but I think they get what they get. We decided on the std. Overtrail, with a few color preferences....should be cool! We need to kick the tires and sit in it and make sure she likes it but we passed on the LX600 they had sitting at the lot for us and she liked that so I'm guessing she'll like the GX similarly.

Umbrarian

Observer
Sewell Ineos in Plano, Texas says current lead times are 8~9months so, we are essentially talking about 2025 at this point for most people traveling somewhere other than a snow ski destination. I still tend to think that it will be long after that before the new Land Cruisers arrive in the USA and don't have huge mark-ups with dealer adds and outright "market rate adjustments."

Regarding the GX-550, I am seriously hoping Sewell Lexus in Dallas gets a demo vehicle in the next few months. That could be the tipping point I need to not wait for an LC or Grenadier late this year or next year.

They had a pre-production model in early December. Since then I have seen 4 different one around US75, Sam Rayburn Frisco/Plano area.

eddy_c

Where would you guys slate in the 2024 Sequoia TRD? I think it has similar engine and 10 spd transmission as the GX550. I am not sure if the third row can be removed and the 2023 has the batteries for the hybrid system in the rear so there is a bit of a raised surface.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Where would you guys slate in the 2024 Sequoia TRD? I think it has similar engine and 10 spd transmission as the GX550. I am not sure if the third row can be removed and the 2023 has the batteries for the hybrid system in the rear so there is a bit of a raised surface.
It just comes down to dimensions- the Sequoia is wider and longer, no front locker or swaybar disconnect I don’t think

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
:love: Scored a UNICORN Toyota Tacoma that is well prepped! :love:

Hope to get it early next week as opposed to NEXT YEAR!

Now, do I continue my pursuit of a nice gently used CPO BMW 540 sedan or hold out for a Lexus GX-550 for a Mall Crawler and grocer getter?
A 2024 Tacoma?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
:love: Scored a UNICORN Toyota Tacoma that is well prepped! :love:

Hope to get it early next week as opposed to NEXT YEAR!

Now, do I continue my pursuit of a nice gently used CPO BMW 540 sedan or hold out for a Lexus GX-550 for a Mall Crawler and grocer getter?
E39 540i 6 Speed or E39 M5... Not that I'm biased, lol

Probably one of the most fun cars I've driven:

1936755_1186192182526_4211366_n.jpg
1936755_1186192342530_8360916_n.jpg
1936755_1186192222527_7836690_n.jpg
1936755_1186192262528_7454157_n.jpg

Umbrarian

Observer

This was my first choice and was hoping to upgrade from my 21 Sequoia.

But the lack of cargo space and the unneeded battery system made it a non-starter. Fortunately the GX550 is what I was hoping the TRD/PRO would be.

Last edited:

Sid Post

Observer
E39 540i 6 Speed or E39 M5... Not that I'm biased, lol

Probably one of the most fun cars I've driven:

View attachment 816938
View attachment 816939
View attachment 816940
View attachment 816941

I would love one of those but, right now a 2020 CPO car is a great value for a daily driver.

I'm not really a M5 guy but, a 540I with a manual would get my attention if I found one in good shape. My Honda Accord Sedan with its 6-speed manual was rear ended by a Hispanic/Latino man in a Camaro Convertible. 😭 Hope his sandwich was worth it.

That Honda was one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever owned. Simply put a smile on my face even going to the grocery store!

beef tits

Ineos seems like a fringe, cringe? brand. Going for land rover looks, and hopefully better-than land rover reliability. Good luck finding parts. I wouldn't go anywhere near one compared to a reputable model line like the Toyota Land Cruiser.

As for GX vs LC? Same vehicle. The GX550 is just a bloated, tricked-out Toyota.... like every other Lexus. I say that as a Lexus owner. How many fancy features do you want?

Based on the reputation associated with the looks alone, the Grenadier seems more comparable to a literal grenade when stacked against a couple Toyotas. No thanks. Not even close.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal