Lift kit for a Subaru Forester?

So I've looked around the web a bit and have seen several Subaru Forester lift kits available, but from what I've found, it seems like there's not really anyone in the US selling them. I've read about several folks having less than desirable experiences when ordering kits from say, Australia, and I don't really want to end up having a negative experience as well.

Does anyone here know where I might find a mild lift kit for a 2002 Forester here in the US? By mild, I mean approx 2". I have my eyes on some BFG All Terrains, but the smallest size that I can get them in is a 215/75 15, and I'm worried about rubbing at stock height.

If you have some wisdom to share on the matter, please don't hesitate to chime in- this is my first Subie, and I'm looking forward to learning.

KevinNY

Adventurer
Have you honestly asked yourself if you own the wrong vehicle when you are looking to lift a car?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Call Wil at Sierra Expeditions. If they are out there he can probably source it for you. He was able to find an OME lift for a Kia Sorrento. Give him a call or send him an email. He is great to work with.

Crikeymike

Adventurer
OME offers coils front and rear that are 20mm lift height. A mild lift for your vehicle would be about 20mm. A radical lift would be 2".

Superu

Explorer
Don't know that anyone stateside is carrying these kits.

liftkitca1.jpg

The basic kit from hirisesubaru should fit the need you've expressed.

lift-kit_sbs-n.gif

Just four strut top spacers. 20 bolts, an hour or two of work and an alignment afterwards. Install details here.

I'm one of those who had long delays getting a kit from AU, but there were a lot of reasons that I don't think would be typical for most buyers.

Good luck and post up pics of the completed Fozzie. :smiley_drive:

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Talked with a buddy of mine that has a lifted Forester, he sent me this

Your best bet is contacting Jackson Rally for sure, he makes an excellent product and the 1" lift will for sure help.

For tires, take a look at the General Grabber AT2s. They are a bit lighter and much cheaper, and come in smaller sizes. I have a 2003 Forester and am on my second set of 215/65/16s. I think I could fit 70s but that would be tight. I believe the SF Foresters (your model) have a bit more room for larger tires, so you could try the 215/70/16s.

I am running the Australian 2" lift and love the heck out of it. However the Australian company that manufacturers them has new ownership and has gone down the tubes. I would stay away from them.

There is a gentleman on subaruforester.org and offroadsubarus.com that has made his own 2" spacers for his SF, he is a great guy and I'm sure would love to get you the specs. Join either site and send a pm to "frogstar7055." Tell him "Smash81" sent you, that's my handle on both sites and he knows me.

If you haven't already, please invest in skid plates. This company is the place to get them from: http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm. I have the 3/16's front and rear, and have been beating on them for three years now. They are fantastic and worth every penny I paid.

Good luck!

-Ash, aka Smash[81]

www.subaruforester.org
www.offroadsubarus.com

Last edited:
I'll look into all of the ideas shared here. I'm not looking to build some radical Subaru, but just gain a bit of clearance in the wheel wells so that I can fit a bit larger tire in there. Thanks for all of the tips!

And Kevin- you're a crack up! And I did think of that. However, there is a purpose in mind for this car, and a 1-2" lift is the right way to go.

offroadsubie

Observer
:jump: smash is here!!!! just saw your kit on ebay, man do i wish I had the money :drool: glad to see you on EXPO smash, or should I say funrover!

hey, let's start a funrover fanclub!!! :coffeedrink: from your posts, looks like you've been here for a while loll

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1