Light Truck (LT) tires on your Gen 3

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Who's running 'em?

If so, what kind, what load range, and how do you like 'em?

I need some new tires, and thinking about doing some 265 75 16's in a lower load range, like C or D - so that I can retain some of the nice ride comfort that I'm enjoying right now on P-grade AT tires.

Going to be in Colorado doing light to moderate off road, snow, highway, etc.

Definitely appreciate any comments!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
There are numerous rigs on here running 235/85 and 255/85 on 16 in wheels, a quick search will pull up a bunch of threads.

montero98ls

Observer
I've have that size in a p metric on a sport and my load range c on my full size. Can't really accurately compare the two because different vehicles and tire brands and size (265/75/16. Vs 33x12.5x15) but the 32s make it a bit bouncy and my 33s are pretty stiff, then again my 33s are old and hard since the PO let the vehicle sit for a good while. I've done some Rocky stuff with the 32s and haven't had a problem.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I run p on my Sport. 265/75r16 Cooper ATP (see discount tire, slightly more aggressive than AT3). Works great offroad even on really rock trails. I subscribe to a light and simple is better philosophy and have never had a flat.........even when using a ford focus for two years of work running wooded and rocky forest roads (only vehicle left in the fleet haha).

I ran my Sport on a few trails in CO, MT, and WY that are really rocky. I pick tire placement properly, keep my speed sane, keep tire spin down and don't air down in order to protect the sidewall. Has always worked great.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Thanks guys. I will do either Toyo AT2's or Yokohama Geolandar ATS's --- I think they will be suitable snow and light-to-moderate duty off-road tires. I was considering running a P-tire but I think I will do LT's for a little extra peace of mind since I'll have family in the truck with me and don't want to be sitting next to a trail wishing I'd bought a tougher tire.

johnnycakes

I run the Yokohama Geolandar ATS's in 265/75/16 on my 2001. Love them so far with about 10000 on them. They are load range D and ride great. Never have liked P rated tires on anything I take off road.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
I run the Yokohama Geolandar ATS's in 265/75/16 on my 2001. Love them so far with about 10000 on them. They are load range D and ride great. Never have liked P rated tires on anything I take off road.

Awesome! Did you find much of a decrease in acceleration, or gas mileage?

I actually run the same tires on a different truck, and love 'em.

dieseltechJay

Observer
Personally I've had great luck with my Hankook Dynapro A/T's on my Suburban. Super quiet on the road and gas mileage was maintained even going up in size a bit. Looking at getting some for my Monty when the new heads go on.

johnnycakes

As far as gas mileage goes I haven't noticed much of a difference. Of course the monty doesn't get great mileage anyway. With acceleration it improved slightly but that is because I went from an E rated Hankook Dynapro to the D rated Yokohama. Glad you have had luck with the Hankook's DieseltechJay but I didn't like them at all on the monty as they wore horrible and were super loud as a result. I also had one lose the center tread all the way to the cords for no real reason. I got rid of them with only 25000 miles on them. Have loved the Yokohama's so far.

I also have the yoko's on my tacoma and they have been stellar.

dieseltechJay

Observer
As far as gas mileage goes I haven't noticed much of a difference. Of course the monty doesn't get great mileage anyway. With acceleration it improved slightly but that is because I went from an E rated Hankook Dynapro to the D rated Yokohama. Glad you have had luck with the Hankook's DieseltechJay but I didn't like them at all on the monty as they wore horrible and were super loud as a result. I also had one lose the center tread all the way to the cords for no real reason. I got rid of them with only 25000 miles on them. Have loved the Yokohama's so far.

I also have the yoko's on my tacoma and they have been stellar.

Wow, that sucks. I have heard of that happening with tires in general, but it's pretty rare. Granted my Sub is only 2WD, and the offroad use my Hankooks see is limited to the rutted dirt trails to my mountain property, but it sounded comparable to what the OP was looking for. I do have to say Yoks are a great tire for the price and their usage/testing from offroad racing gives them credentials that are hard to ignore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1