Limited slip

Nice, I am still contemplating on which traction device up front truetrac or e-locker while doing the ball joints, steering upgrades and free hub kit.

csj

Nice, how was the install? I'm about to do a dana 44 this coming week and I'm a bit anxious about the difficulty and need for special tools.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Nice, how was the install? I'm about to do a dana 44 this coming week and I'm a bit anxious about the difficulty and need for special tools.

It wasn't too difficult. No special tools were needed.Took me about 8 hours total. I didn't change the pinion bearings, the seal is fine, if it's not broke, don't fix it!

fla_cracker

Observer
He will still have good steering. Limited slips have a clutch pack inside that allow differing wheel speed when on hard serfaces.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers

You'll need a housing spreader to properly do the Dana axle. AAM/GM corporate axles are easy peasy...

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Yeah this AAM with adjustable side shims was a piece of cake! Since I used the same gears and didn't replace the pinion bearings it was even easier. No messing with pinion depth!

1stDeuce

Explorer
You'll notice a little more self-centering tendency of the steering in 4wd with the Trutrac, but nothing severe.

I love the Trutrac in the front of my TJ, and if I was using my GMC more offroad, I'd put one in it too. They work especially well in vehicles with solid axles, where the tires stay in contact with the ground better than on IFS vehicles. Once you start lifting tires, it takes a lot of brake modulation to keep moving well. Better application for a true locker...

I've installed several differentials exactly like the OP did, even in Dana axles. I swap the shims over and toss it in, and I have yet to have to pull it and re-shim to get a good pattern/backlash. Actually, I usually don't even check the pattern, I just make sure backlash matches the diff that came out and I know the pattern will match. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1