Liquid fuel stoves - alternatives to coleman?

AndrewP

Explorer
And besides: one less liquid fuel stove, one picnic table spared.

Rob

What do you mean by this?

Coleman back in the day made this super useful stove stand-to hold the stove or a cooler. Still can be had on ebay for around $20 depending on the seller. They made a similar one out of steel that is really stout.

Utah2014020640x480_zps360008a6.jpg

jonnyquest

Adventurer
AndrewP, looks like a Snowpeak cook set and cast iron. That's on my list of upgrades. Older Coleman stoves and lanterns are the best. I have 2 stoves and a lantern from the 90's. Work ok, but thinner metal and less stout hinges than 60's stuff.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
I think a person would be better off finding 60's or earlier stoves and lanterns. coleman.com has parts to completely rebuild them. It might be a little more money than buying new Coleman, but quality and "coolness" factor is higher.

AndrewP

Explorer
AndrewP, looks like a Snowpeak cook set and cast iron. That's on my list of upgrades. Older Coleman stoves and lanterns are the best. I have 2 stoves and a lantern from the 90's. Work ok, but thinner metal and less stout hinges than 60's stuff.

That's my friends set up-the stove is early 1980s. I got him the stove and stand while wandering on Craig's for $10! I've actually been using De Buyer pans, and a Magma nesting set.

Here is my go to stove, circa 1961-used everyday on adventures, this one was a 14 day trip through southern Utah in May:

And, you can really cook on them too. Here are filets, bearnaise sauce and new potatoes crisped in duck fat. This was practice for doing it in the wild, which I did at the base of the Bear's Ears in Utah.

Here is the "wild" version:

image-jpg.900291

It's interesting but for extended travel there is nothing better than a Coleman stove. They are cheap, ultra reliable, fuel is everywhere, and plenty hot for real cooking. No bulky propane tank to lug around and try and keep filled. Most other camp stoves are good for 1 thing, and that's boiling water. Most people here on EP seem afraid of the white gas, which while is older technology, is actually superior technology in this little niche of the travelling universe.

Last edited:

swduncan

Observer
You did well. Replace the cap gasket, oil the pump leather (motor oil is ok, neetsfoot is the best) and I'll bet it takes right off. Which lantern did you get with it?

Yep, the stove works fine.

I started out using simple green to take the layers of grease off, but I may have to switch to complicated green ;-).

The lantern, model 220F, seems to need a check valve. After pumping the pump handle feels spring loaded and no pressure seems to make into the tank.

I will probably see what parts I can get and order spares for both.

AndrewP

Explorer
Yep, the stove works fine.

I started out using simple green to take the layers of grease off, but I may have to switch to complicated green ;-).

The lantern, model 220F, seems to need a check valve. After pumping the pump handle feels spring loaded and no pressure seems to make into the tank.

I will probably see what parts I can get and order spares for both.

PM coming with how to clear a stuck check valve. They are a pain to replace without the proper tool, though I have the tool and will pull it out if you want to send it.

swduncan

Observer
PM coming with how to clear a stuck check valve. They are a pain to replace without the proper tool, though I have the tool and will pull it out if you want to send it.

Check valve fixed, but there's still something blocked somewhere. I will take it apart at some point.

On my propane stove I decided to oil the valves to see if that improved their action. The problem was that they were springy, and getting them adjusted down to a simmer was almost impossible. The oil did the trick!

The liquid fuel stove seemed to get quite low, but I haven't cooked over it yet.

jerdog53

Explorer
I have rebuilt all three of my fuel burners at one point in time and all will drop down to a nice low simmer.

precision powder

Backwoods Explorer
I personally carry an msr dragonfly (runs white gas, regular gas, diesel, k1, and jet fuel. With a minor adjustment you can run denatured alcohol). I also carry a whisperlite international which burns white gas, regular gas, k1, and diesel. The Dragonfly is a better stove with full flame control but the whisperlite is an excellent backup for me. I use these since they take up so little room its crazy, they are very light, fully serviceable in the field (few parts and can be stripped/cleaned/rebuilt in around 10 minutes), they burn near anything, and it takes nothing to toss them in my bag for overnight trips. No matter where you go in the world you are going to find a fuel that will run in these stoves, you are not limited like larger stoves.

A big plus is you do not have any 1lb cylinders to throw away at the end of the trip.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
OK, I have a technical question, and this seems like a thread filled with well-informed folks... sorry for the hijack.

I have three Coleman stoves, a 2-burner and two 3-burners.

I have an adaptor so I can run them on the little green propane bottles as well as on the traditional gas. It works great, easy to light, great flame control, and convenient. BUT, when I try to run three burners on the little green propane bottles the pressure is very low, so each of the flames is quite low.

The only time I run all three burners at the same time is when I have my giant cast-iron griddle on the stove.

So my question is, if I get an adaptor for a bigger (5 or 10 lb) propane bottle will I get enough pressure for all three burners to have a decent flame at the same time, or does the propane regulator have the same pressure for the small bottles as the big bottles?

Cheers

Ray

It's not the pressure that's the problem, it's the volume - with 3 burners going, you aren't getting enough volume to fully supply all three. I could of course be wrong, but I doubt that going to a bigger tank is going to force more volume past the regulator in the converter doohickey.

If it didn't, then you might be able to hack the regulator off the converter doohickey (or buy another one to sacrifice) and then run a bigger bottle with a regulator at the bottle.

Something like this:

But even if you did, it might not be the regulator on the converter that is the problem, but the converter itself just can't flow enough volume. I bet the hack would work though.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I've always managed a weekend on a single canister. That'd be 2x dinners, and 2x (coffee and breakfast). Lunches are usually "cold". I always start with a new canister, though. Typically, I then switch the used ones to "home" duty until they're empty, since I frequently use a 2nd catering burner when I'm cooking outside. (My grill doesn't have a side burner, so on the rare occasions when I need to have a pot of something going while I'm grilling, or if it's too hot to cook inside, I use the butane). Two butane canisters probably weighs about the same as a single 1lb propane tank, and doesn't take up much more room. (Slightly taller, but they're smaller diameter)

I'm packing right now for 5 days on the beach, I will bring two canisters and the propane adapter. (Bringing 5lb tank for the portable grill anyhow.) I'll report back how I do on fuel there.

Back from beach trip. 7 out of 11 meals were done on butane, though that's more like 11 "sessions" since I had to boil 2x kettles of water for each morning's coffee, and a couple of the meals were extended cook times (browning potatoes, etc.) I started with one slightly-used caninster and finished it off, and used the second canister for the last day's coffee. I'd say ~10 short cook sessions per canister is a reasonable starting assumption. I will keep logging info.

41cri6T8HqL.jpg

186-500-new-stove_1.jpg

Ovis Canis

Observer
Prunus sells a two burner that will anything from jet fuel to canola oil. It comes with the jest and instructions. I have the light weight backpacking model. I burn alcohol mostly.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
so I switched from white gas to propane in the late 80's. for no other reason than the price. I found that for the same amount of dollars I could run the propane 2 -3 times longer. I do use a bulk tank. as far as butane forget it, no good in cold temps, not available in bulk, and have you ever tried to find those canisters in the sticks, unavailable where I go. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp