live in truck - power?

TacoTuesday1

Long story short, kind of need to live in my truck for maybe 2mo
No big deal, lived in a car before for 1mo.

Temporary trip. Good old rent. Not really interested in throwing away thousands+ to a stranger.
Also going to be working out (as opposed to not) so am trying to take this seriously and do it right, in terms of nutrition, ie food storage and cooking

I have a truck, might as well use it. 2nd gen Tacoma 5' with a shell.
Picked up a Dometic CFX3 35

and now, trying to figure out how to power it.
I thought I had my mind made up. Harbor Freight listed "Jackery 500" $250/ea.
The way I see it? Get two. Rotate them in and out for use. Because Jackery advocates against pass-through charging.
Dometic allows pass-through charging with their PLB40, but I hear negative things about their product. It also doesn't have a wall plug on it for a laptop like every other power station.
edit: 400

Except one small problem. Harbor Freight cleverly lied/false advertising in the way the product is titled. It's not a 400. It's a 290.
There goes that idea.

Why a power station? It is versatile, hopefully idiotproof, mobile, and somewhat universal.
I know how to work on cars, and as much as I'd like to screw around with a very possibly still expensive dual/second AGM battery,
a power station sounds smarter. Get it, keep it. Or if you don't need, sell it later.
I don't have the time right now to build a second AGM in terms of ordering all the parts involved, waiting for shipping, etc.
most power stations, odds are you can pick them up quick at a store or Amazon Prime

First off, if you're building a battery box, there's AGM batteries that some people consider to be the bare minimum in quality needed, and those are $300 alone. And if it's 100Ah, you can only use half of that. 50Ah. Really not that different from a Power Station with 40-50Ah lithium that can be used all the way. Like the Jackery 1000 having 46Ah

Seen brands like Bluetti, Jackery, EcoFlow, Goal Zero, and research has told me:
Jackery > EcoFlow or Goal Zero
Not sure about Bluetti
All the prices and capabilities still seem similar at the end of the day

I'm also looking at trying to stick a 100w solar panel somewhere on the roof, maybe Renogy, and hope I can wire it to a power station
so that if the truck is not driving and charging it via DC (would require extension harness to the bed); roof solar would charge it without having to run around a dirt field with briefcase panels

Supposedly this Dometic CFX3 35 can draw 1ah, and up to 60w. Definitely sounds less than the somewhat more expensive (but I guess nicer) bigger 75DZ? Dual Zone which I believe is 3ah
I've heard you can power the 35 with a Jackery 1000 for days, or even up to a week
and supposedly, much smaller size power stations don't work well with the power draw of a fridge kicking on at first

Dometic PLB40 looks cool. Keeps the brands the same. Resale value. You would hope designed properly from the ground up, but from a company likely new to portable power stations compared to others.
As much as I want it to be awesome, unfortunately I've found posts of the thing getting stuck turned off the second a cloud passes over your solar.
I see different prices of the same name, with no way to differentiate if there's been a redesign I believe they promised, that companies often release.
Not having a wall outlet in it to power a laptop, and needing an inverter which adds parts, cost, heat, energy conversion waste
Might not be a dealbreaker, because out of town I may not have internet anyway. So I could just be like everyone else; if I need to work on the laptop, go into a library or coffee shop.

I'll continue to research this but if you know a good power station to recommend, please let me know

ga6a6kv6n9ta1.png

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
I been looking at the ecoflow delta 1260wh, I need a large inverter and it has an 1800 watt pure sine output. The reason I'm considering it is because I see them on ebay for 599 (refurbished) 2 year warranty. I rather pay 599 than 1300 for a brand new one.
1260 watt hour is comparable to about a 100ah lithium battery. Thats enough to power a 12 volt fridge for 5 days (fridge set to 40f).
I currently have over 500ah of DIY lithium/lifepo4 but they are all setup to run low amp devices. It would be a major rewire job to power a large inverter. A large good quality pure sine inverter by itself is in the 300/400 dollar range, not too far from the cost of the refurbish ecoflow. I'm still researching other power stations also but for me it comes down to price. The ecoflow according to the specs can handle up to 400 watts of solar through its built-in mppt controller, thats another plus for it.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
If you are driving most days, just cram your biggest possible battery in the car and run off that. Add a solar panel or two and you’re probably fine. 2 lonths is not long. I’ve run a fridge full time in my Jeep for almost 9 years off the starting battery, eventually adding solar panels when battery failures crept up on me. I’ve spent far less than you would in power stations and it works…. Very rare to have a failure.

rkfoote

100 watt solar panel on the roof, tied into the starter battery (or use a separate battery). This has worked like a charm over the years for my ARB fridge (assuming you live somewhere with relatively sunny weather). I did the same setup on my Tacoma, then a RAM 1500. Add a lithium jump pack just in case you run your battery flat on a cloudy day.

Reactions: WVI

pluton

Adventurer
100 watt solar panel on the roof, tied into the starter battery (or use a separate battery).
I have read that you can join the starting battery with another same-spec (or close) battery via heavyish cables (#2 prob fine) to make the equivalent of one giant starting battery. The second batt can be somewhere else besides the engine compartment. Lots more reserve over relying only on the starting battery. Is this a real thing?

2.ooohhh

I would forgo the battery box entirely.

1. Make sure your starting battery is stout and the largest that will fit in the available space.(if not I generally replace it with the largest agm I can fit)

2. Figure out your solar panels and their mounting. (I stuck 110w of flexible lensun panels (55w x2 in parallel) to my hood)

3.Select a quality MPPT solar controller that will work well for your selected panels. (I used a Victron 75/15 b/c it matched my panels output and gave a little room to add more in the future.)

4.Buy a DC power supply compatible with your laptop. (Will vary based on laptop and age but MUCH more efficient than running an inverter for a device that requires DC)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp