LJ_24 100 series build thread

LJ_24

Adventurer
Next upgrade: Morimoto mini H1 projectors:D

IMG_1866.jpg

LJ_24

Adventurer
So I finally got around to doing the HID conversion to my hella fog lights. I decided that I do not want those funky switches that clutter the interior. I have a plan for the four fog lights to be powered by the two original wires that connect to the oem fog lights. Not sure about ARB, but I know that this upgrade would be good for those who run the slee and BIOR bumper because they scrap the oem fog lights and you can use the oem wiring to power new fog lights. I did not ground the wire that allows the fogs to be run along with the hi beams but I will address that issue later. I finished two fog lights today and I ordered another harness so I can add the other two next week when I do my projector retrofit:D

Parts:
1. 4x Hella 700 ff
2. 35w 6000k HID kit
3. The retrofit source wiring harness...this type of harness will be convenient...more details soon

So on to the tech portion of this thread

Starting with a CLEAN work station. I am using HELLA 700ff's so taking apart the light may be different based on your headlight...

Take apart the housing by unscrewing the screw that is located at the bottom of the housing
IMG_2026.jpg

Pry the housing in between the plastic and glass
IMG_2027.jpg

Take out the H3 bulb and unplug all the wiring and mounting positions, including the locking mechanism
IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

HID vs halogen
IMG_2030.jpg

Check if your HID bulb is too long for the fog light
IMG_2031.jpg

Now place the H3 HID bulb and bend the tabs together so that it can be held in place. Make sure it is flush and seated straight.
IMG_2033.jpg

Seal the bulbs surrounding using clear silicone. People are against this but it is easy to peel silicone if the bulb burns out
IMG_2036.jpg

Using the gasket that came with the H3 HID kit, push it down into the silicone. The silicone will spread but level it on top of the gasket. The gasket pushes the silicone into the seams if the gasket is seated flush. This will not be seen anyways. Make sure gasket is submerged into the silicone after it is pushed down
IMG_2037.jpg

Now on to the rear portion of the housing/outer casing. Drill a hole that is big enough to let the wiring through the back, since the HID bulb's wiring is longer than the halogen. The hole also needs to be big enough to accommodate the rubber boot that came with the HID bulbs.
IMG_2044.jpg

Now the real fun begins. I had an HID kit installed with a relay so I will do a how to when I add the second relay. Remember that I will use the two oem wiring outputs to power the four hella lights. The harness that I am using is the key..more on that later

Plug in the HID kit's ballasts to the original fog light wiring, and plug in the HID bulbs into the ballasts. Now turn on your headlights and oem fog light switch.

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

Only did two today but...

Coming soon: four foglights using OEM fog light wiring. How to wire the relay

This is perfect if you had to leave out your fog light wiring because your new armor could not accomodate the oem fog lights and its wiring. Easy and must do upgrade IMO!

Night time pics to be added

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
looks good, but why didn't you use a HID kit with a re-based D2s that just drops in? It seems like it would be far more simple.

LJ_24

Adventurer
looks good, but why didn't you use a HID kit with a re-based D2s that just drops in? It seems like it would be far more simple.

because the Hella uses H3 bulbs? lol why would D2S be better? I may try it next time haha

moving on with the build....
black wheels courtesy of R3 finishing in Santa Clara and also added 1" spacers! Go to them for your powdercoating needs! It was a 7 hour turnaround! Dropped them off in the morning, picked em up at 5 in the afternoon:ylsmoke:

IMG_2077.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
sorry I misread what your HID kit was, and the use of silicone. I didn't realize that the ff700's had that bulb retention that obviously doesn't work with the kit.

Looks good. Love that color too.

LJ_24

Adventurer
sorry I misread what your HID kit was, and the use of silicone. I didn't realize that the ff700's had that bulb retention that obviously doesn't work with the kit.

Looks good. Love that color too.

Thanks man! I did not know this color was rare but everyone tells me that it is! haha

LJ_24

Adventurer
06 headlight, soon to be quad xenon! This is a retrofit project

going a little luxury here by adding the e46 shroud to the low beam location haha writeup coming soon

attachment.php

LJ_24

Adventurer
IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

I did not want to have this kind of mess...so I spent an hour organizing and running the wires lol
IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

LJ_24

Adventurer
The harness that I used from TRS requires one 9006 input to power two HID kits...therefore I used two harnesses and control 4 HID kits:D

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2324.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1