Lockers for my suburban

blaz

Adventurer
More info is needed. What are you going to be using it for and what axles do you have? Is it a daily driver, rock crawler or expo cruiser?

BigCountry77

It is my daily driver, but I will be using it for over the road trips and off road adventures(camping and hunting). To the best of my knowledge they are the factor axles. it has a Dana frontend.

zukrider

Explorer
your area gets ice. ice and full time lockers is bad juju if you dont be careful. i would reccomend arb's. pricey, but good.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
please remove this thread, as I am trying to leave my '83 2500 stock(killing me!!) and this just gets me thinking about 4" lift and 35's on those H2 rims I already have, lockers, crossover steering.... pls remove quickly :wings:

bftank

Explorer
if it is factory it will have a corp 10 bolt front and a semifloater corp 14 rear with 9.5" ring gear.

i would second the arb, but before putting it in the rear i would find a full floater 10.5" corp 14 to put back there, with some disc brakes.

Cody1771

Explorer
i would say for an overland type of build an selectable locker is the way to go. ARB makes a very nice air locker while the Detroit E-locker ispretty tried and tested as well. OX makes a good cable actuated one if you want to go that route but if the cable gets ripped out its considerably more difficult to repair on the trail than an air or e locker. Yukon makes a ratchet type locker called the grizzly that is guaranteed for life and cheaper than the detroit. imo i wouldnt lock the 10 bolt front at all unless you have upgraded to chromo axles.

Cody1771

Explorer
if it is factory it will have a corp 10 bolt front and a semifloater corp 14 rear with 9.5" ring gear.

i would second the arb, but before putting it in the rear i would find a full floater 10.5" corp 14 to put back there, with some disc brakes.

the SF 14B is a very strong axle and not to be underrated, i wouldnt worry to much about the rear axle, not knowing the year of the burb i dont know if it is SFA or IFS. if it is an older with SFA and it does have the 8 bolt pattern (most came with 6 bolt patterns) it might be worth looking at 1 ton diffs like the 14B FF and a D60 front. but it all depends on what he plans on useing it for. those heavy axles are a bit overrated in most cases. check out this build

bftank

Explorer
i was assuming it was the 1989 2500 burb in his signature.

it's just my opinion. suburbans have a ton of weight in the back empty, let alone full of gear. i remember reading a 4x4 mag article where the 10 bolt rear was upgraded to a sf 14 rear, and after that blew it went to a ff14 rear all with 35's on a mild rig. ff's are cheap, easy to get parts for and set up. easily shaved for clearance and much stronger.

however if the sf is working for you then by all means keep it.

BigCountry77

Thanks for all the input guys. I will check the axles tomorrow to see for sure what they are. I got my tranny back from the shop today ,and I'm going to put it in this week end. I checked on the ARB's a little pricy for my budget right now. I might have to put that on the back burner for now. What is the chance of limited slip diff's in them. I haven't really had it off road or in the mud to see how the axles react when the tires spin. It goes good in the snow though.

BigCountry77

coreys88burban,

I will probably go with the ARB's. I'll just have to be Patient. I hope to have pics up this weekend that way everyone can see what I'm working with!!

blakeape

Adventurer
On a vehicle as long as a Suburban I wouldn't be afraid of a Detroit Locker out back. Upgrade to a full-float 14 bolt and a brand new detroit is about $425. You can get a 4.10 geared 14 bolt for $75-150. I have one in my tacoma and they came factory in the military CCUV 1 ton trucks. You will know its back there but they are not bad at all. A little chirping on corners and an occasional ratcheting sound. Don't worry about what you here about the jeep guys who run them. A long wheelbase really makes a huge difference with a fulltime locker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1