Long Distance '85 Ranger Build

85_Ranger4x4

Yeah, I have a three burner (Model 426) I mainly bounce between it and my big two burner (Model 413) The three is nice for using a griddle on two burners and then I still have one open for heating water or whatever. The 413 is nice because it has more room per burner and can handle two big skillets easier. It is also more compact than the three burner obviously. Just depends on what I need when. Last year I took my little 400B backpacking stove with deer hunting and had fun cooking lunch on that in the middle of nowhere.

I have thought about sleeping in my topper but never have. Did sleep in the back under the stars once which was neat. A full air mattress fits in the back of the truck between the wheel wells perfectly.

It sleeps four with the camper though. ?

DaJudge

Explorer
Somehow I have missed this thread over the years? Nice Ranger. I miss mine, I don't like the new ones.
I had (in order)
89 Long Bed 4cyl 5 speed
91 Super Cab 4cyl 5 speed
89 4X4 Long Bed Auto V6
2001 XLT Super Cab 4.0 Offroad.
I loved the 2001. Should have never sold it!

utherjorge

Observer
We've been going back and forth on the Grenadier forums, and I never paid attention to exactly what your username means! I picked up a 2006 Ranger for under a grand, and while it needs work, and won't be my primary, I will be building it to work, since it will be hauling stuff to my land I picked up recently as I begin to build.

Love your Ranger.

ThundahBeagle

And then for the trip, I figured I would need something to keep gear dry and maybe slow down it running off while I am en route... enter the $40 20st Century topper from Craigslist. I had to replace the lock and fix the light.

And of course every good offroader has to have a hi-lift... well if I have something that big with me I will never need it so it is good insurance. It is such a natural place for it to be on top the wheel well but it NEVER stays there. I had been thinking about adding the bracket kit for a couple years, now I think I am going to get another bracket kit for my other truck too. It is so nice for it to have a home out of the way and it will be awesome when dealing with farm equipment instead of it wandering wherever it wants in the back of the truck. BTW the jack was my great-grandfather's farm jack and normally lives in my garage.

And it is carburetor and I don't have the budget at the moment for a FiTech so I did some googling on how to make a Edelbrock better offroad. There is a channel that lets fuel from one bowl run to the other bowl so off camber you have one bowl leaning out and the other flooding over. A quick fix for that is to insert a piece of fuel line.

They make spring loaded needles too but they sound like a pain to set and nobody seems that positive if they make much of a difference.

Snagged a $50 refurbished Garmin on Amazon for kind of a HUD if what is going on around me, also has a rudimentary compass and tells me the speed limit. While setting up for a car show I went the wrong way up a one way street (street was closed for the show) and it turned red and was freaking out I was going the wrong way. Kinda neat little thing for cheap.

Car show was featuring vintage campers so I took advantage of my setup with some old camping gear I had:

Ok, this is the 21st century, one 12v cigarette lighter probably won't cut it. So I drilled two holes in this knockout on the firewall and added two usb chargers and another 12v port. They are wired to come on with the key since they light up for as long as they have power. I still have the factory 12v cigarette lighter for constant power if I need to charge something when I am not in the truck. It is kinda neat the GPS comes on now when I start the truck.

Look ma, no wires! This is running off the 2.1a socket

And then I have the 1.0a USB port to charge my older GoPro which doesn't like the newer faster chargers.

Gear loadout so far. Spare tires (only one is pictured) and tool/spare parts tote in the front. Ground tent/ground cloth, air mattress/compressor and bedding in tote across the rear axle. Cooler with ice for drinks on the road/groceries, camp kitchen for once we get there and another tote with camp stuff I don't want running around the truck loose (like the camp stove) I have actually done a little bit of testing as I would much prefer to have the spare and tools at the back for when we are on the road but the truck rides much better with the heavy stuff between the axles. My FIL is going too, I hope he has room for the luggage, if not it can ride on top the totes.

So that is where it is at right now.

Fan of simple camping gear here. Love all the old Coleman stuff but that cube 9 volt EverReady battery powered flashlight is a real theowback!
Just getting into this thread. Nice work

N.Penley

We need @85_Ranger4x4 with this, and @Andrew S and his '80's S15 GMC (I know he's already chimed in here) to pick a point halfway between yas and rendezvous. Then compare & contrast machines and methods, then head out on a good will tour. Sponsored by GMC and Ford. Or AmsOil or something, so you can keep going.

Yep. My two favorite builds/trucks on this site!
They keep me motivated to find a camper for my long bed s10 that is finally on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Well I guess I ought to give an update on the ol' girl since I just noticed I haven't done anything in over a year...

Last winter I rebuilt the cylinder heads (E6 heads if any Ford fans are out there) original to the engine (touched up the valves/seats, new seals and Trick-Flow upgraded springs) and it really helped oil useage. For reasons unknown a couple of the valve seals walked off the guides on the E7 heads. I am kind of an oddity, I like the powerband of the E6's. They are a high swirl design, they choke out at around 4k rpm but down low I think especially with a carb they help keep the fuel suspended better.

I also have the A/C fully functioning which makes a huge difference in fatigue on the road. I don't mind running with the window down and still do a lot but being able to roll the window up and run with climate control is awesome, especially when it is raining.

However... my truck has efans for its main engine cooling... but they also need to run with the a/c on. So I devised a series of relays to enable the efans to come on either with the temp sensor on the engine or if I turn the air on.

I do need to circle back and add a idle stepper to it. It doesn't stall the engine but it does change the idle RPM and the speed at which it returns to idle when shifting which is incredibly annoying. The wiring is there, I just need to drop the $50 on the idle stepper and take time to build a bracket.

85_Ranger4x4

And not sure if I have posted it here but a couple years ago I snagged a Smittybilt 9500lb winch. My plan is to recreate the look of the factory Ford accessory winch mount/grille guard.

but to use a receiver mount because:

a. My truck has a bodylift and the brackets to relocate the front bumper are not the same strength as the factory setup where they bumper bolted directly on the ends of the frame (the winch mount used the same holes)

b. I can move the winch to other things easily like a trailer or anything with a receiver hitch.

c. I can easily drop the weight off the front of the truck when it is not needed or to keep the winch out of weather.

The plan.

Plus I found a NOS set of brush guards for the factory grille guard.

For some reason my son is totally enamored with winches... so last February I think it was I dedicated the whole morning to mounting the winch. We had a blast. I let him run off with tools, pretend to do stuff to it and tell me how it needs to be done.

The all time best part, when we got done he totally on his own proudly announces to his mom, "this is so we can pull the Bronco out"

Then we revert back to cardboard engineering and I tweaked the profile to fit the winch mount slightly better.

Then I slipped it back off and put my old grille guard back on for the time being. For one thing to keep my daylighters from getting hurt and the other I need something solid to hold the template so I can locate things like the mounting bolt holes and the the holes for the brush guards. I kinda got busy and left it there.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

And I noticed I have a buzzing noise at high speed with the front hubs locked in. I so I tore apart the side I thought it was coming from and sure enough the shaft is all buggered up where the spindle bearing runs. I very vaguely remember it when i swapped the axle in but since I didn't have a spare and didn't want to pause the project until I need I just ran with it. Well now I have a spare shaft so I threw a new cross in it and swapped it out.

All ready to go.

I also snagged a NOS driver side seatbelt assembly, mine has been lazy on retracting for as long as I have had the truck. Its been too dang cold put it in though.

And then over the weekend we got a big snow storm, it was really cold, wind chill was like -40. So Saturday I did the right thing and decided to push snow off of our driveway so the dogs had somewhere to go do their business other than my porch. I moved my F-150 and my wife's Bronco behind a shed so they were out of the way so I could push snow. After I was done I backed the '150 back and parked it where I always do, then I got in the Bronco and was going to drive out into my field and turn it around rather than back all the way out. White on white depth perception in the middle of the day got me and I stuck it in a big drift. So I go get the tractor and clear off behind it and pull it out. Get it out of the way and and go to back the car out and it hits the edge of where I cleared and slides down the hill into a drift. Stuck worse than the first time.

Whatever, so I go climb back onto the tractor and it promptly runs out of gas and dies. Cool. So I go back into the house and regroup and thaw out. Decide to try the F-150. It isn't anything special and it was almost stuck itself just sitting there and I could just see it getting stuck trying to pull the Bronco out and then I just doubled the fun. So I backed it back out and woke up the Ranger who had been sleeping in the garage the whole time.

It walked right out there with ease, night and day different than the '150.

And we broke that horse to lead.

So yeah, I was pretty happy I got her car back out, another feather in the Ranger's hat in the perpetual Ranger vs Bronco comparison I have going too lol. It is a lot lighter and has a lot more ground clearance which probably really helped.

Kinda makes me wish I had the winch done though...

Last edited:

Mekcanix

Camper
I love this thing!!! everytime I go into your thread it makes me miss my Bronco II that I did the 302 install on. Your install is much nicer looking then mine was.

Excellent work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk