Looking for a new to me Tacoma

dlargo

Observer
Evening all,

I am in the market for a 1st Gen Tacoma (01-04) Double Cab 4x4. I prefer the V6 with a manual but I may have to compromise to an auto. Any advice or suggestions on what to look for. I have a couple of leads on what I want with about 150K miles. is this too much or is it just getting broken in? I currently have a 01 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l, AW4, 231...runs great just want to make the move.

Thanks
Danny

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Bad news on the Manual Trans, they never made the 01-04 double cabs with a 5spd, only the auto. So if that is a true deal breaker, you're looking at either a Nissan Frontier from that era, or an 05 and newer tacoma. 150k is just broken in as long as the scheduled work has been done and the owner has cared for it. You can kill a toyota but it takes quite a bit ha ha ha. I have 119,000 on my 01 and with the brand new frame I just got, I consider the truck basically brand new . Wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. In fact I'm headed to NC from NJ on Wed for the holiday weekend. I'm sure you'll get more feedback but that's my 2cents. Great little trucks, fun to drive and mod.

Oh on Edit: you can find people that have done Auto to Manual swaps on these trucks. It is not "that" involved and you end up with a very special truck. So, I have seen them for sale but it's not all that common to come across one.

-jorge

Last edited:

dlargo

Observer
No big deal on the manual. What kind of issues should I be looking for? I will be out this week to look around (have a lead on two) and may bite the bullet.

Thanks
Danny

Bad news on the Manual Trans, they never made the 01-04 double cabs with a 5spd, only the auto. So if that is a true deal breaker, you're looking at either a Nissan Frontier from that era, or an 05 and newer tacoma. 150k is just broken in as long as the scheduled work has been done and the owner has cared for it. You can kill a toyota but it takes quite a bit ha ha ha. I have 119,000 on my 01 and with the brand new frame I just got, I consider the truck basically brand new . Wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere. In fact I'm headed to NC from NJ on Wed for the holiday weekend. I'm sure you'll get more feedback but that's my 2cents. Great little trucks, fun to drive and mod.

Oh on Edit: you can find people that have done Auto to Manual swaps on these trucks. It is not "that" involved and you end up with a very special truck. So, I have seen them for sale but it's not all that common to come across one.

-jorge

juicebox

Adventurer
I can't think of any issues that are common on the 1st gen tacoma. Steering rack maybe? But that will be obvious if it's all sloppy when you drive it. Just do a general check of everything, fluids, check underside for leaks, check cv boots, etc.

bkg

Explorer
I can't think of any issues that are common on the 1st gen tacoma. Steering rack maybe? But that will be obvious if it's all sloppy when you drive it. Just do a general check of everything, fluids, check underside for leaks, check cv boots, etc.

Rusty frames has been a huge issue in the rust belt, and in some cases, coastal areas. I purchased my last truck in Houston, and it as clean as a whistle.

austintaco

Explorer
My advice would be to do a wide area search, and don't be afraid to drive a few hours or even fly up and drive back for the right truck. You can have vehicles inspected by third parties ahead of time.
Buy a carfax or Autocheck membership that's good for 30 days and always run a vin check first. It's a starting point.
My brother lives in Beaumont and he just made me aware of http://www.southeasttexas.com/classifieds/. Apparently, craigslist is not as popular in the area?

These trucks are almost bulletproof with the proper care. I have had my 03 DC since new, and with 104K, it still feels like it's my new truck. No quirky issues to speak of (knock on wood)

Check on TTORA.com. There is a very active group of Toyota enthusiasts from the Houston area. You might get a lead on a nice truck from them.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Things to check:
Timing Belt done at ~90k - I did mine at 130k and it all looked new, but make sure all belts, hoses, water pump and idler were replaced too. It is a $600-900 job depending on dealership. But a non-interference motor, so nothing is ruined if it breaks while driving except forward momentum.
Frame rust. Hit it inside the frame near the rear springs. Tink tink thud is bad. See if the bushings were replaced under the recall. Check the rear axle seals... mine have leaked twice in 200k. Like other's have said, great trucks and reliable. I have 205k or so and would drive it anywhere tomorrow.

dlargo

Observer
Thanks everyone. I will try to make it out this week sometime. @austintaco...the DC is actually Beaumont about 1 hour from me.

Danny

Revco

Adventurer
Mines an '01 reg cab 4cyl, but I love it. Bulletproof and reliable. Capable of some pretty good offroading in stock form too. If you plan to use 4x4 often, opt for the TRD package with the elocker rear.

Rusty frames and weak rear leads are a couple of the more common issues, but Toyota will replace those if they are bad, if they havent already. Mine was from New Mexico, so its dry as a bone.

5spd swap is easy if you're handy with basic tools. I have 175k on my 3RZFE 4cyl and it runs great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1