Looking for Tents

Furaites

Heya Folks,

Been lurking around here for awhile, and have a sort of different question off my normal. Looking to buy my kiddo (22yo) a tent, as he is looking to go out "Adventuring" more.
I have not bought a tent in a good 10 years....and unfortunately alot of reviews on the internet are from people who set it up in their back yard and sprayed water over it once.
So, I am looking for something that is Quicker to setup (So it is not a chore for him), Durable (So it does not need to be patched/fixxed everytime the wind blows), and preferably something that is 3 season compatible. Anyone's recommendations on brands, or specific tents would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dave in AZ

Heya Folks,

Been lurking around here for awhile, and have a sort of different question off my normal. Looking to buy my kiddo (22yo) a tent, as he is looking to go out "Adventuring" more.
I have not bought a tent in a good 10 years....and unfortunately alot of reviews on the internet are from people who set it up in their back yard and sprayed water over it once.
So, I am looking for something that is Quicker to setup (So it is not a chore for him), Durable (So it does not need to be patched/fixxed everytime the wind blows), and preferably something that is 3 season compatible. Anyone's recommendations on brands, or specific tents would be appreciated.

Thanks
How will he use it? Car camping , or backpacking? Bed of pickup or on ground?

If carrying in car, the Gazelle is super popular now, almost instant setup. But pretty heavy and long, not a backpack setup.

chet6.7

Explorer
I have this tent, I bought it back when it was being pushed on various sites as the best thing since sliced bread. I have not used it, so no personal opinion.

llamalander

Lighter is always better, but after a certain point, that gets expensive.
Tents have probably improved in a lot of little ways in the last 10 years, but what you knew then still applies.
2-pole, 2-person dome-type tents with a rain-fly and a footprint, or fitted tarp to go underneath, are reliable, quick to set-up, durable and easy to pack or backpack.
Good screens to keep out bugs and stay cool on warm nights are excellent, ease of set-up is always appreciated.
I have a 20 year old tent that does all that, but is a little heavier than it needs to be... but I probably am too!

Nemo has a good line of tents (bought the Nemo Hornet) and I believe REI is having a July 4th sale that will include most tent brands.

Unless weight is a factor, my philosophy is buy one size bigger… for one person, buy a two person tent. Have had good luck with North Face and Sierra Designs tents in the past, but can’t speak to current quality since it’s been decades since I purchased them. The Sierra is still in good shape, but it’s not free standing, hence the new Nemo

XJLI

Adventurer
I'm in the market as well for a 6p car-camping tent (something that fits two cots with extra room). My tops are:

MSR Habiscape
Coleman Skydome
(lots of good experience with Colemans over the years) but make sure it has the FULL COVERAGE FLY. Many don't.
Marmot Limestone
I'm also entertaining picking up an Oztent, but its a lot more $$.

For me, I'd prefer two doors, need LOTS of ventilation and a full coverage fly that can be guy'd out well. In the northeast, its lots of humidity and sudden big storms. I don't care what a manufacturer says about waterproof material, you need a full coverage fly.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
REI Base Camp 4.
Fantastic tent. I actually have the 4 and the 6, depending on how many family members travel with me. Super durable, fantastic in a storm, easy to set up by yourself (the 4 is, the 6 benefits from another pair of hands). I’ve been using these tents for 15 years, and still going strong, averaging about 20 nights a year.

Alternatively, NEMO has a new tent that looks really good and has peaked my interest. It’s called the Aurora High Rise, comes in 4 or 6 man sizes.

WanderingBison

I was a big fan of the MSR Hubba Hubba but they aren't what they use to be and their customer service is disappointing.

I have not purchased a Nemo tent but I have a lot of other Nemo kit (chairs, shower) and their customer service and life-time warranty is stellar!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Capitan 4+ Outfitter 4 Person Tent from Eureka, I have a old ridge line that's not available, its 15 years old and is used for many weeks every year.
Good things: Very strong 3 season tent, all screens have inside covers, {keeps the blow sand out}, fast set up and take down, it heats up when it's cold because it low, packs up pretty small.
Cons: Can't stand up in it, in heave winds it needs extra support for the down polls on the wind side.
The El Capitan is a very good tent and I will replace my ridge line with it in a few years.
You might go with him and let him decide what fits his needs and purchase it for him.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
If it’s part of the 4th Sale at REI, you might want to check out the Big Agnes (maybe the Tiger) as it seems to uniformly get good reviews from people who actually use it for its intended purpose 🤔

In general, a tent one can stand up in is nicer the many for sale that are only @ 48” high. And the advice above about getting “one size larger” is good advice.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Both my tents are at least 40 years old so naming brands wouldn't be helpful. But with 60 years of tenting experience here is what I would look for:

All tents:
- stable in wind; worrying if your tent is going to blow away isn't conducive to good sleep or a day hike.
- Taut; flapping in wind doesn't help sleep either.
- Uncomplicated set-up.
- Bug protection in buggy seasons.
- Bathtub floor; eventually you will pitch your tent where water wants to flow.

Backpacking:
- Weight; the lighter your pack the more enjoyable the trip.
- Quick, simple set-up; you will eventually set it up in a storm.

Car camping:
- Roomy; enough for all + their gear.
- Ventilation; be able to catch a breeze on hot summer nights. Bonus if you can look at stars on clear nights.
- Tall enough to stand if that is important to you.

I've probably forgotten something.

I always carry an 8X8 tarp (light weight visqueen when backpacking) to pitch over the tent or as an upwind deflector when conditions warrant.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
As far as lightweight backpacking tents, they have made massive strives in just the past decade in fabrics alone. Tubs, walls, even screens… they are tougher, lighter, and tighter packing.

Getting older, I really appreciate the HV (high volume) versions of tents BigAgnes is producing. The HV provides for more vertical walls that really helps for much more head space.

Our go-to for backpacking with two doggos is the HV Copper Spur by big agnes. 👍

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk