LT 230 - replace bearings or the whole thing

chirigringo

Adventurer
The t-case in my DI has about 155k on it. The output bearings are loose and the seals are shot. I've looked into replacing the bearings but found some suggestions that I might be better off just replacing the whole t-case with a lower mileage unit. This is a daily driver on 235's that does see a fair amount of off-road use. From a long term reliability standpoint, what does everyone think about the options?
-Michael

SeaRubi

Explorer
I'd buy a used case, have it sent to your local rover shop for rebuild, then swap the two and keep the old one, having it rebuilt as well for your next rover project :sombrero:

I was in a similar situation with mine a few years ago.

I looked at the space on my workbench and the "free time" on my calendar.....and had "Roadside Rob" send me a rebuilt one.

Sent mine back to him and TaDaa, no more whiney-leakey.

Rob Dassler
Southwest Rovers
ABQ, NM

evilfij

Explorer
Output bearings can be changed in situ. I would just do that and the seals and call it good. If you keep oil in them and don't abuse them (wheeling in open diff mode with lots of wheel spin or driving on the street with the diff locked) LT230s are near indestructable.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you get it rebuilt try to put the 1.4 ratio gear set in there.

Just to clarify this for the original poster. The 1.4 will correct the high range for big tires, but will leave the low range as-is. Sticking with the stock 1.2 and re-gearing the diffs corrects both the low and high range gear ratios for use with bigger tires.

Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design