M416 new axle with brakes?

rubicon789

Observer
Well i can't find exactly the answers i am looking for so here we go. I have a m416 that I would like to build out this spring/summer. I know the springs are shot and I want to replace the axle to match the 5 on 4.5 pattern I have. So here are my questions.
  • Is a 3500 lbs axle overkill?
  • should I get brakes for the axle, or again is this overkill? This will be towed behind a Jeep Wrangler.
  • are there other options for springs other the NOS or AT's kit? I am having a hard time finding replacements since the stock ones are so long. (other then NOS "New Old Stock")
  • I have looked at Redneck Trailers and a local place for axles. Any other sites for guy's out east to check into?

1leg

Explorer
3500 should be fine.
Yes i would get brakes, your state might mandate it. over a 1000lbs, or something like that. I think in California it's 1200lbs,

Find a local shop that can make a new set of leaf springs for you. Might be cheaper then you think. When you go in and ask let them know you are a tight budget. And your not restoring just want something that works good. When you say your restoring they double the price sometime.

I found a website, I don't know them just shows they are out there. http://www.leafspring.com/PARTS/LEAF_SPRINGS/leaf_springs.html

If you have the money call AT and get the kit. that would be sweet....

Last edited:

rubicon789

Observer
If you have the money call AT and get the kit. that would be sweet....

Yes I know.. but hey at that point after suspension, blasting, paint new axle, I should just order a new AT :)

Thanks I will look into that site. One thing someone told me today, was to cut of the original spring hangers and weld on new ones for some new springs. Anyone agree?

socaljeeper

Adventurer
It is a good idea to get the 3500# axle for the larger bearing size is what I was told. I got mine from redneck trailers and the price difference to add brakes was not that much additional. As far as springs, your best options are the NOS or try to find and older CJ springs. I would not make the springs any shorter than what is on the original M-416.

rubicon789

Observer
Thanks Socal... I did call Redneck... the only issue is that it's $100 for shipping an axle with brakes... I am going to check out a few local places too. Did you get brakes? If so are you glad you did, or do you wish you did?

socaljeeper

Adventurer
With all the mods I did to my trailer brakes was a must. If you plan on doing much off roading with it I would highly recommend you get some brakes.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
With all the mods I did to my trailer brakes was a must. If you plan on doing much off roading with it I would highly recommend you get some brakes.

That's been my thought as well. I would use the Tekonsha Prodigy I have in my F250 in the Jeep to control the trailer brakes, and can see the manual lever coming in handy quite often given the difficult of terrain I would be taking the trailer on.

rubicon789

Observer
Thanks for all the links guy's. I will call Franklin tomorrow. And check out ABC as well. So the vote is definatly go with brakes. So I will price a few out and get some NOS springs. Thanks to all. I love these forums.

rubicon789

Observer
One more questions guy's.

What length axle did you all replace yours with?

Is it 60'' hub to hub? or do i want smaller then that? When I called Franklin the guy only stocks a 62'' axle. I think that will be too big. I am just looking for other ideas.

Also what is the size of the original axle on the M416. I have not been able to measure it because I keep forgetting to do so :oops:. I would like to try and order a new one within the next few days.

Thanks Guy's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1