Mac Maintenance

TJDIV

Adventurer
The MacBook Pro can get uncomfortably hot. You might consider running a program like Temperature Monitor to check the temp, then look online for reports from other MacBook Pro users to see if your temps are unusually high

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/temperature_monitor_4.6_gives_warm_fuzzies/

Have you noticed that the battery life is not as long as it used to be? That's the easiest way to tell if the battery is headed for the last roundup.

Yeah, this bugger gets toasty, depending on tasks.

Battery life is dwindling, not catastrophic, but I'm a bit OCD on this stuff.
I'd say 65% of the original (guessifying)

Thanks,
Tom

gabepari

Explorer
OH MY!!!! I just upgraded my 24" iMac Intel (the white one) from 1gig to 4gig (I know it only sees 3, but two 2gig chips were cheaper than a 1 and 2) and WOW is it faster. I've never seen that much green on the Activity Monitor memory pie graph :Wow1:

$100 very well spent. Plus iPhoto doesn't take 5 minutes to open anymore, hopefully will increase HD life with less paging.

Gabe

racingjason

Adventurer
I usually open up the Mac disk utility every couple of months or so and select "repair disk permissions", it can prevent a few irritations. I agree with the previous poster about hard drive space, I ran my G3 Powerbook out of HD once; the computer was very grumpy.

The iStat Pro dashboard widget is free and very handy as well.

Good luck with the Mac, though they are not infallible a Mac should make your life easier.

greg mgm

Explorer
Thanks again for all the info guys.

I've been using the Imac every day since I made the original post. Not one hiccup or problem at all. It automatically recognized my printer and camera. I'm trying to not load the hard drive with tons of pics and plan to use an external HD for storage, and backup to DVD's. So far so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp