Magna flow on an 07 LR3

krick3tt

Adventurer
Considering installing a Magnaflow exhaust system on my 07 LR. Any words of wisdom of things to beware of before I order this system?
I have a random backfire and I cannot diagnose the problem. It may be one of the cats, not sure.
Thinking a flow thru system may eliminate the issue but don't want to influence the emission test that may eventually come up.

hurstjd

Adventurer
I had a 2006 LR3 and did a Magna-Flow Cat Back exhaust. Absolutely loved it. It sounded super sweet. It was not too loud but had a really nice sound. I even had people mention it to me at stop lights, etc. Further, It increased the acceleration. I was very impressed by the additional power.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
My 07 is throwing cat codes and I'm thinking about the Magnaflow OEM quality cats, well less than LR genuine.

I think the magnaflow kit looks pretty good. If anything in my exhaust fails I will be going with that as the replacement. Just make sure you use the tucked exhaust tips! The quad output option that hangs below the bumper looks stupid.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I think the magnaflow kit looks pretty good. If anything in my exhaust fails I will be going with that as the replacement. Just make sure you use the tucked exhaust tips! The quad output option that hangs below the bumper looks stupid.

You're not quite telling the whole story there. The quad tips are irrelevant. It's the fact that the quad tips are part of the last section which has small mufflers. The turn-down version is a strait pipe....

This kit is designed for use with stock vehicles that still have a factory bumper.... not designed at all to work with Kaymar which I have, and I'm sure it's also trouble with any aftermarket bumper using a frame support similar to Kaymar. The issue is about mid-way the rear mufflers and the routing height. They designed it to sit below the factory bumper line so you can see the tips. Based on how it sounds with the mufflers, I'd say nobody will want to ride with you very far hearing the roar of the straight pipes.

I had mine custom routed by means of much cutting/welding to recreate a final section using the mufflers and then new turn down that is flush/higher than the bumper lower edges while also running through the intended center of the bumper wing structural side support. (I'll post photos later if desired)

Then, the system was still too loud so I had them splice in a cool "x" pipe / muffler in front of the main muffler into the spot where the X pipe was cut out. This occurs just behind the mid frame cross section below the transmission. I have the down-pipes/cats though too which most certainly affects the overall loudness. Thus the need/desire to quiet it down a bit. So, after buying the whole kit, I also spent about $600 having it put in and customized. The X/muffler is also high grade stainless Magnaflow. Very nice little piece.

Anyone in the PNW is welcome to come for a sound ride ;)

ColoDisco

Explorer
As you know Morris I have the entire magnaflow system (cats and cat back) but with stock bumper. Not sure where the tactical rover rear bumper ends as for figment. We may want to do a side by side comparison.

morrisdl

Adventurer
I would be surprised is a failing CAT would cause back fires. Another option: I cut my pipes in front of the rear axle and bolted on turndown tips. I can always reinstall the resonators if needed (for inspection) but never have. The sound is 5% better :)

ZVofxvNo3nKUgkZCzUgVE1RGr5egpZx-CspsubZoRYwPtmQXDS8ig85Rg5wbflzUSop-xWRrM8NHOR4kOwRFYd8jRQGXSFD6ZE9ItHAsueDQIQkZM0qpXneZEZuwej7nmTNFKXWi7nowrD4Gs8S53rtmRtaDynU3isDSvA-lg2qx3UCO9gtFpG_o6EPZTKHNGDrT7bmy1aK-p3yksE8rXd3eQ5rJvCMFmksh5fp1YHvsJPOla5_VcGD0zuElw9RQzd4GuPPgJ593cqCUPSEf02t5IGs2MsBpdto1_akWE6sYPZv1qm6j9anDkCnIhIgwOVz9uh_FFhrYJx4azRKXmClzSOIvhcc0ruhMs-lANVEU3lm7rvVCCCIDWv-SICP0p4VcoxnZDoDJ_M3LRRCMqUlptadofHw-BKpXdXUTWo1tMiPFBHRJoJhoz2EQCTaGykPUfxV3MaLieMMkZNLKp9ozLXAFENw0ollS6XMPwfHrppiuzJtN-WGZhYFIqQsnW7m_AGGZhK5OH-1JrP7v4BA20XsX5uvyUGKZvgFfRLMCundKwmF4aChnLXGPdZmPpkn-eVwGH2UoEw98E9qLbvfdLAuGWyKVMVn158g2k5IIcf9scAPc3rhgfYoGWgcSJrZDZuCcjxomJwRteOA-iJ5F0iIo7PgF9dp-qiNB3ks=s1152-no-tmp.jpg

Nu_U9Rv65peuIokS6KPxMasbscEBJ6fsQcGl-MUPaSexlah75AliKWCLrYwy3qv6rBGCCgzOhaGquU8-jOTa2pywDbFnp7QZm_7eswlVDQuXT4AGDxTqu3cO4Cp8V8QYsx6OJvkp_niTPtLoQBRtifeekgcCoAObLaP0AKn--Oo4vAr1ezw-wkLhEGR-h_-QTFjFdLS5WEANQK6fYKzaE8TSSQjjo3MC4DwJGOTcxR5x5g2wKkoqf70ZJeaWqdwuLSfzKq3bykgMNt3BlAMMLD0lTqAGTViu8cdgnQxyLzgscCegchnzo_HXDtmjNszhl0b45RxBaewpl81wQFga5QaBhGpGTDXM9kvBklVtN38721XwjdRkpmrRZgI--jW7PvQD-TE30FzOghWDr0o5gjwziT_2etHIddbcDRGy4NI7Vk_ehCyFSNmo8RAa_I7FXrg1sJ2KRVXmtTX-R3VY2P_rYLWmzSxtXCWsHwxXVJXMJvdjOz-s0fHKTb-cHzci-CTB40_bar-B-bmRuL-t-EZbjyFKnmhmyvq5gZ_gjIuT3T-NFOgRCPvQHyQG02gi0Vu0Wn5W7bKUgH0q5L3-afUufivA2kXhVY9dJUTdK1lf16gK_ep9QOjcikPOtbOdl7mG1cF80qeuCfb5dr9kNAL2e7BVBUz1XVo3aa6Fbc8=w512-h384-no-tmp.jpg

Jwestpro

Explorer
I would be surprised is a failing CAT would cause back fires. Another option: I cut my pipes in front of the rear axle and bolted on turndown tips. I can always reinstall the resonators if needed (for inspection) but never have. The sound is 5% better.

LOL that would be unbearably loud as hell on the magnaflow.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Looks like your directing exhaust at the frame of the truck. Also creating a way for exhaust to pool under the body which in turn is exposing your electronic parking brake module, Evap system components, wiring harnesses etc to heat. There is a reason exhaust is always routed away from the vehicle.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Thanks for your concern for my parking brake, but its been setup this way for years and 35K+ miles...no problem with heat or CO. The original PB still works great, which is rare on 2006 LR3. More importantly, the pipes that run under the rear diff no longer get smashed on rocks. Better yet, my spare tire is no longer getting baked on 3 sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp