Mammoth, CA Laurel Lakes-Trip Report

1leg

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Laurel_lakes_road_jpg.jpg

On my list now. Map

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
One of my favorites as well, even though I haven't camped up there yet.... I'm heading to Mammoth 2maro, so thanks for getting me even more excited!! No wheelin this trip, we're takin the Focus for the MPG's, and bringing the mtn bikes.

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
Thanks Redline! Your advice and 24HRS really helped.

bat said:
cellularsteve2
It looks pretty tight in the picture, my problem is I am almost 4 feet longer and 3 feet longer wheelbase. If I do not make the switch back can my Donahoe suspension handle the ride down the hill.:smiley_drive:
View attachment 21747

Wow, 4' longer than a Ford e-350 RB van?

I was pretty close to the edge as it was. My wife said on my downhill approach I had about 3-4'. On the way up I took a different line and had about 1 1/2 feet.

I think Redline or 24HRS towed a trailer and made it. Maybe they can weigh in.

steve

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I have an old '96 F350 that has gone & goes lots of places. Stock suspension w/ 255/85R16s, worn limited slip rear diff, and I would take it up there. There will be some multi point turns in a couple spots, but nothing crazy or difficult in my opinion if your know your rig and consider yourself 'a driver'. On the last tight switchback you could make a multi point turn, but I would consider backing down it like I did with the trailer. On the way back up and out you have to decide if you want to back uphill or make a multipoint turn. The road is wide enough, with good towing mirrors, I would rather reverse a crew-cab long-bed than my 4Runner and trailer, particularly uphill.

Look at Steve's picture above of that switchback, there is a lot of extra runout room at that tight switchback.

bat said:
cellularsteve2
It looks pretty tight in the picture, my problem is I am almost 4 feet longer and 3 feet longer wheelbase. If I do not make the switch back can my Donahoe suspension handle the ride down the hill.:smiley_drive:
View attachment 21747

VikingVince

Explorer
Steve,

Nice report...Laurel Lakes is on my short list...no excuse for not getting there being in SoCA!

Is that a porta-bote on top of your SMB? If so, what size? How has it worked out for you? Set-up, stability, ease of use, etc. I've looked at them for a number of years and have considered buying one but have never gotten first-hand feedback. Thanks. (great lookin' rig, BTW)

bat

Explorer
Thanks for the info on the trail it is a great looking place. I think by looking at you on the trail and knowing my truck I would have a hard time making that turn. I would not have a problem backing down and up to to camp in a spot like that.

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
VikingVince said:
Steve,
Is that a porta-bote on top of your SMB? If so, what size? How has it worked out for you? Set-up, stability, ease of use, etc. I've looked at them for a number of years and have considered buying one but have never gotten first-hand feedback. Thanks. (great lookin' rig, BTW)

Vince,
Yes it is a 12' PortaBote. This was only the 3rd time I used it and I really like it. First off, as you see it folds up and stows right on the roof. Alternatively they make a carrier that you can bolt on the side of your truck so it is easier to load. I estimate it to be 60 lbs empty so I just tilt it up on the roof and then push. 2 people is easier. I have a Nissan 5HP motor 4stroke that came with it. Surprisingly it works well. Nearly as stable as an aluminum boat except it has a bit weird feeling since you can feel the water beneath your feet (has a rolling effect). It is fine for 2 people and I use it to fish. For a smaller lake it is just fine. Even with some chop it felt stable enough.

I bought it used on Craigslist for a good price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and if you can find one used you could always buy it and resell it if you don't like it. I am fairly certain I could get what I paid.

steve

Overland Hadley

on a journey
cellularsteve2 said:

Great photos, thanks for posting the trip report.

What is the folded thing on your roof? Is it a folding kayak? I think I saw something like it on a sailboat in the harbor today, but nobody was on board, so I was not able to ask them.
Thanks.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Overland Hadley said:
Great photos, thanks for posting the trip report.

What is the folded thing on your roof? Is it a folding kayak? I think I saw something like it on a sailboat in the harbor today, but nobody was on board, so I was not able to ask them.
Thanks.

See post #24

It's a Portaboat.

BoxCar

I went to Laurel Lake last weekend. It was as great as everyone said it would be. I planned to cruise around the lake in my inflatable kayak but it was 43 degrees and windy at three o'clock in the afternoon. There is still some snow above the lake. The day before it was in the mid 80's.

TJDIV

Adventurer
I love Mammoth. Would be cool to do this trip.
I'm lucky just to get out there to snowboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1