Matt Scott's article "5 Things We'd Love To See In The Next Wrangler"

HRPINDC

Adventurer
So much speculation on the NextGen Wrangler. It's almost pointless to write these articles and just guess what's going to happen. But, I guess it keeps people busy. I really didn't see anything different in the second rendering. Except that the antenna is missing.

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Nope. that's is true. Might as well run a carb and a points ignition too. easier to service in the field. Hell, lets go back to horse and buggy. less to break down, great gas milage, and lots of cargo space!

:26_16_2:

Thing is, today's vehicles are so much more dependable with all of the electronics and gadgetry than they were in the 70's and 80's. I think some people forget that. I mean today's vehicles can go 100k miles before even needing a tune-up. Tolerances are closer. It's just that you need an electrical engineering degree to work on your vehicle nowadays. That I'm not so happy about.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Thing is, today's vehicles are so much more dependable with all of the electronics and gadgetry than they were in the 70's and 80's. I think some people forget that. I mean today's vehicles can go 100k miles before even needing a tune-up. Tolerances are closer. It's just that you need an electrical engineering degree to work on your vehicle nowadays. That I'm not so happy about.

X2

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I have 125k on my 2011 JK unlimited, and its been pretty well flawless besides wear items. Ball joint/tie rods/shocks/brakes. stuff you wear out during its life. Nothing major mechanically happened, and regular maintenece nothing will. I am confident that I can get in my JK, go ANYWHERE and not worry. I am anal over my rides, I replaced my shocks as I felt one corner getting a little soft. Nothing major but I could feel it. I do have a minor clunk in the front that I will fix when I return from Florida in mid april, but Its nothing major just annoying. I know that I will get in my rig everyday, and turn the key it will fire and go. something that could not be said for many vehicles from the 80s and early 90s.

Justincredible

Adventurer
********!!! That's why I was calling for a MUCH MUCH more extensively stripped package! (one excluding many systems that CAN leave one stranded!)

And that sounds great, but you have to remember Jeep is a business. It doesn't make a lot of sense to offer a vehicle that doesn't meet today's regulations and is therefore not street legal.
The government mandates traction control, TPMS, certain fuel economy, and pedestrian impact safety that makes it so a grill and hood have to be a certain distance from the engine. Really the only thing Jeep can leave off of the base Sport is carpet, which they have made easily removable.
I think Jeep has done a spectacular job of offering a stripper model that holds true to the core spirit. Look at what the Land Cruiser or even cars like the Civic have become compared to how they started.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
And that sounds great, but you have to remember Jeep is a business. It doesn't make a lot of sense to offer a vehicle that doesn't meet today's regulations and is therefore not street legal.
The government mandates traction control, TPMS, certain fuel economy, and pedestrian impact safety that makes it so a grill and hood have to be a certain distance from the engine. Really the only thing Jeep can leave off of the base Sport is carpet, which they have made easily removable.
I think Jeep has done a spectacular job of offering a stripper model that holds true to the core spirit. Look at what the Land Cruiser or even cars like the Civic have become compared to how they started.

I actually very much agree with this. Practically everything is an option in the sport.

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer

Dodge is a business as well (same overarching company) and they make a vehicle that doesn't meet federal standards- the white body Challenger so, it is not without corporate precedent.

Toyota does make a Land Cruiser that is more true to its roots, just not for the US.

Edit: I should say more specifically- the "Drag Race Package" Challenger, not the white body Challenger. (As the white body is just as described- a white body) I've seen a drag race Challenger before, they come ready to race with a Viper V-10 and two speed drag racing transmission. The Jeep idea I posted would be VERY similar. Just perhaps a bit less complete (or maybe merely different paperwork???) that way it could have the potential to be registered as a kit vehicle. (The drag race Challengers were specified as not street legal, I think that was likely based on the fact that the white bodies don't have VINs (IIRC)) Beyond purely paperwork agreements though, I can't see the lack of a VIN preventing street legal status though, as the DMV can assign a VIN to a scratch made vehicle so, I would imagine it would not be impossible for Jeep to do what I proposed- sure wish they would!!!! (Also- wish they would before the upcoming redesign which is sounding more and more disappointing the more rumors I hear)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1