Max coupler

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
The standard testing for couplers is to test it to three times it rating or to destruction. A coupler rated to 3500lb would have been tested to 10500 lbs.

Quality manufacturers will have the coupler re tested every time major modifications are made to the coupler.

The new Max Coupler tested to 33K.

The SAE J684 standard is required for all couplers used on road. We choose to stick with this standard. I'm just informing everyone of the regulation so they can make wise decisions.

Martyn

Most won't even know what to look for, especially if it didn't fail. There is nothing in the CA vehicle code or penal code in regards to trailer couplers, so I don't know what they would write you up under. On the other hand, there are probably a dozen things that any one of us could be cited for if the cop wanted to be a jerk (in CA, cops can cite you for being low on windshield wiper fluid!)

Good luck,
Billy

The standard used here is a Federal standard not a State standard. The Feds set regulations on many components including couplers, lights, brakes, etc. Federal regulation can not be over ruled by State or local regulations or compliance.

That doesn't mean that States are very good at enforcing either there own State regulations or Federal regulations, in fact some States are very lax.

rdsk8ter

Observer
I built my own coupling it is serviceable theres not a main bearing but greased shaft in a tube it has no play at all it seems to be good for me. it is a video so click on the link.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
This is one that the Pittsburgh Police pulled a driver over for.
No pintle for the lunette, safety chains not connected and no electric hook up.
I can't see anything wrong can you?

Attachments

• 20070531ds__parkway_hitch_0530_450.jpg
    20070531ds__parkway_hitch_0530_450.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 125

JeepFreak21

Observer
The standard used here is a Federal standard not a State standard. The Feds set regulations on many components including couplers, lights, brakes, etc. Federal regulation can not be over ruled by State or local regulations or compliance.

That doesn't mean that States are very good at enforcing either there own State regulations or Federal regulations, in fact some States are very lax.

Good points.
Billy

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
Ok I have another question. Witch one do people think is better and y, max coupler or lock n roll? Martyn, i would assume u like yours better but y? And Martyn what does it take to get a coupler tested and certified? I would bet it take a lot of money and multiple couplers for testing. Thanks

Martyn

The lock-n-roll is a good coupler, it has issues with binding especially if you reverse and jackknife the trailer. Our biggest issue was that we couldn't always get couplers from the manufacturer as they got buried in military contracts for gun turrets.

The Max coupler doesn't have the binding issues and the new version is serviceable. I like the zerk fitting for greasing the coupler. No issue getting product. Constant product improvement.

There are only a couple of test facilities that test couplers in North America. Testing costs time and money. You usually supply two couplers for testing.

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
By rebuildable, do u mean inside the square tube? That's the version I could get now? Is that the one on the sight for $250? Thanks for all the good info/help.

TacoDell

Adventurer
By rebuildable, do u mean inside the square tube? That's the version I could get now? Is that the one on the sight for $250? Thanks for all the good info/help.
if yer referring to the Max C...
I don't believe the primary shaft can be removed...
short of a cut off wheel or torch.

If it were a take apart design...
I doubt it would recieve the same ratings that it currently holds.

I purchased a Max C.... and even tho' I'm confident in my abilities to reproduce or copy current product... if I chose to...

I had plenty of other things to do on muh trailer.... that needed repair and required my time and skills

so basically I bought the Max coupler... to save me the time and work involved.

curious... has anyone had the recently re-designed Max C.
in need of a primary shaft rebuild ?

Bet if that were the case... Chris Ulloa would like to know more.
He's somewhat prideful of his Max C.

Or if you just have questions...
Chris is great at communicating with customers

Chris Ulloa
Cuamco-CUoffroad Products
(760)985-5502 Phone
(760)513-9857 Fax

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
if yer referring to the Max C...
I don't believe the primary shaft can be removed...
short of a cut off wheel or torch.

If it were a take apart design...
I doubt it would recieve the same ratings that it currently holds.

I purchased a Max C.... and even tho' I'm confident in my abilities to reproduce or copy current product... if I chose to...

I had plenty of other things to do on muh trailer.... that needed repair and required my time and skills

so basically I bought the Max coupler... to save me the time and work involved.

curious... has anyone had the recently re-designed Max C.
in need of a primary shaft rebuild ?

Bet if that were the case... Chris Ulloa would like to know more.
He's somewhat prideful of his Max C.

Or if you just have questions...
Chris is great at communicating with customers

Chris Ulloa
Cuamco-CUoffroad Products
(760)985-5502 Phone
(760)513-9857 Fax

good point and yes Chris with Cuamco is the designer and manufacture of the Max-Coupler. It is one TOP OF THE LINE product!! $225.00 btw...on our trailer web site..

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
good point and yes Chris with Cuamco is the designer and manufacture of the Max-Coupler. It is one TOP OF THE LINE product!! $225.00 btw...

Which, with all things considered it is a bargain..

Includes:

- Product Research and Design

- Testing

- Manufacturing and Distrubution

At the end of the day, I know I can't produce that product, at that price, and honestly, if you consider your time and materials involved to construct it, I doubt very few can.

The price really is moot considering what you get....thanks Chris..:ylsmoke:

Here's the SWAG build. You can see how it was built starting on post #30, it uses a bushing and I believe the MAX does as well.

This is a terrible design. Don't copy this one. Any rolling motion of the trailer results in the bolt thread turning in that welded nut. I expect it will wear out fairly quickly. Bolt threads are not designed for constant movement like that. I believe the Max Coupler has a bearing in there, as evidenced by the zerk fitting.

Not to mention that welded nut is... <shudder>

I believe SAE J684 is only intended for trailer manufacturers, not home-builders. That being said, if you have a problem with a stupid design, expect to get sued. Buying a coupler from a manufacturer allows you a large degree of protection, plausible deniability.

For SWAG off-road to build that coupler and SELL it to a customer is opening them up to a world of legal problems.

There's a big difference between what home builders can legally do, and what manufacturers/vendors can do.

dumprat

Adventurer
Besides the fact that welding to a grade 8 bolt head under tension is a very bad idea. Grade 8 bolts are hard enough materia that they will snap off when welded in this manner without pre-heat post-heat and testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1