Maxxis Bighorn MT-762 tires

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Cool! Let us know how the purchase and delivery goes. I have looked at them as their prices are pretty good.

juicebox

Adventurer
Got my tires yesterday, I'm excited to get these on!

38320100-CA85-4602-8E7D-174AF2044882_zpsapujmmpm.jpg

Last edited:

Shocker

VanDOOM!
Well you can't beat that. I had read some anecdotal evidence that some of their tires were 3-5 years old "new". Glad to hear it all worked out well. Now, time for pics!! :)

juicebox

Adventurer
Got them mounted up. Kept flip-flopping on what suspension to go with so I just mounted my spare up to test fit...

Looked like the only place it would rub was the mudflap, so I took it off.

Then I got the rest mounted up, low and behold... No rubbing whatsoever. Granted, I was only driving around some land I just got, but some spots were flexed all the way to the bump stops.

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
I bought a set of 255/85-16's about 1 1/2 yrs ago online from DiscountTire, and my date codes were 2yrs old... :(

Also, after having run these on my 1st Gen Tundie for half the winter, sad to say, I'm pretty disappointed with them on-road in the snow and slush...Even with 400lbs of sand in the back, I was easily spinning the rears from dead stops, even being easy on the skinny pedal....Also, had a couple close calls of almost sliding off the road on slight curves in 3" of snow, doing 35-45 MPH...(PSI wasn't even very high @ 30 front/27 rear).. :(

Unfortunately, I didnt get to play off-road in the snow with them...

These are a far cry from the original Gateway Buckshots the Bighorns, and the Maxxis Buckshots, are modelled after...I had a set of those in 33x9.5-15s that handled WAY better on my 99 Taco...a MUCH lighter truck, and even with more sidewall to flex...

I dont think i would have liked the weight gain or the look, but I'm thinking 285 or 305s would have been better for the '00 Tundie...

SingleCabGuy

Tested em out this weekend !
Very happy with em. Aired down to 14psi with open/open diffs while following a group of tacos locked f/r and made it everywhere they did
8uvuzanu.jpg
ydehymun.jpg

mike the welder

Adventurer
I just bought a Suburban that has near new 31" Bighorns. I have never had a truck with this aggressive of a tire and I find they are very loud. I have only done some light trails with them so far and they are great off road, but I'm not sure if I can get over the noise since I drive it 80% on the road. Other drivers next to me seem to move away because it's so loud. Anybody else have an opinion about the Noise. I don't like the wheels that came on the truck so I may buy new wheels and tires for the street that are less aggressive and put these in the shop for off road camping trips.
00l0l_3qTbrKYFzEV_600x450.jpg00y0y_9H55MtwwVlq_600x450.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
@mikw the welder......a lot of better options out there for you. GY Duratrac, Cooper ST Maxx, BFG, etc etc

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I just bought a Suburban that has near new 31" Bighorns. I have never had a truck with this aggressive of a tire and I find they are very loud. I have only done some light trails with them so far and they are great off road, but I'm not sure if I can get over the noise since I drive it 80% on the road. snip...]

Great tire, I've owned a few sets, but they are loud and will not last long.

There are many tires that are better for mostly pavement or mixed use. I suggested selling the Bighorns while they are good and deep if you can and buy something more practical.

Last edited:

mike the welder

Adventurer
Well, not trying to highjack the tread, but I received my new tires and wheels today. Pro comp ExtremeA/T and some black steel wheels. The Bighorns did very well in what little off road I did with them, but sucked on the street. I haven't decided what to do with them yet. I might save them for a strictly off road project I'm thinking about.

Thanks for the advise everyone.

tires4.jpg

roundhouse

I read thru alot of the pages,

considering these in 315/75r16 for my 77 Chevy K-10
its a daily driver for my 16 yr old
just installed a TBI and NV3500 5 speed to make it DD friendly

anyone know for sure where they are manufactured?

so much stuff made in china nowdays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1