Me and the Moonlander!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Quick Spin in the dirt! - May 7, 2012

Moonlander-LaCostaPreserve-1005.jpg

Riding out at La Costa Preserve.

Moonlander-LaCostaPreserve3-7493.jpg

I believe this is my fastest time to the Boy Scout Kiosk. 17 minutes 46 seconds from my house. Looks like it took me a minute and 5 seconds to catch my breath and get the camera out.

Moonlander-LaCostaPreserve2-1008.jpg

The trails are getting dusty. Kinda like the caulk test. Tire pressure is around 10-12 psi.

LaCostaPreserve-4.jpg

Distance 7.9 miles
Elevation 1090 feet
Moving Average 8.5 mph

Slicky72

Adventurer
That bike is awesome , I have never seem anything like that up here in BC. I am just getting back into cycling myself to firm up what mother nature is convinced should not be. Thanks for sharing your adventures , it is quite motivating to read through your posts .

Gear

That bike is awesome , I have never seem anything like that up here in BC. I am just getting back into cycling myself to firm up what mother nature is convinced should not be. Thanks for sharing your adventures , it is quite motivating to read through your posts .

Thanks. I am trying to stick with it!

Gear

ORW - May 9, 2012

Moonlander-ORW-7513.jpg

I dropped the Jeep off at ORW to have my rear differential looked at. The noise at highway speed was getting really annoying. From there I took the easy way home with only 515 feet of elevation.

ORW.jpg

Distance 11.1 miles
Elevation 515 feet
Moving Average 12.3 mph

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Looks like the tires are starting to wear to the point of replace. How many miles do you think you are at so far on them?

Gear

Looks like the tires are starting to wear to the point of replace. How many miles do you think you are at so far on them?

I think you are right! Problem is the tires are really expensive. I am just over 1400 miles documented on the bike. At this point I almost want to see how far I can go on them. With that said I should order up a pair for when they do go because the local bike store is not going to have them in stock.

Gear

Picked up the Jeep - ORW - May 11, 2012

Moonlander-ORWPickup-7551.jpg

Got the call that my Jeep was ready. It's my wife's Birthday and Ethan is complaining about his stomach. Got the boys off to school, and made a beeline to Off-Road Warehouse. Nothing really to report other than I spent 15 minutes waiting on Elfin Forest Road for the road crew to let us thru. Turns out as I was paying for my Jeep I got the call from school. Ethan just threw up. I put the bike in the back of the Jeep and off I went to pick him up.

ORWPickup.jpg

Distance 9.1 miles
Elevation 729 feet
Moving Average 13.5 mph

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I think you are right! Problem is the tires are really expensive. I am just over 1400 miles documented on the bike. At this point I almost want to see how far I can go on them. With that said I should order up a pair for when they do go because the local bike store is not going to have them in stock.

I am still learning on the fat bikes, but I would imagine that the actual carcas is pretty thick. You will have a road fatty tire.. maybe???

crafft

Justin, thanks much for sharing your adventures!!

I'm hoping to receive my own Moonie soon. Can't wait.

In one of the pics I thought I spotted a Strider in your pocket is that right? (which Model) I'm a Striderholic myself:ylsmoke:

Hope Ethan is feeling better in the meantime...?

ywen

Explorer
REI has 15% off on the Surly Pugsley... man really thinking of getting it..... I noticed the used market sells these for $1100 to $1300 depending on condition.. so not much depreciation..

Gear

Justin, thanks much for sharing your adventures!!

I'm hoping to receive my own Moonie soon. Can't wait.

In one of the pics I thought I spotted a Strider in your pocket is that right? (which Model) I'm a Striderholic myself:ylsmoke:

Hope Ethan is feeling better in the meantime...?

Moonlander-TADStrider-1054.jpg

Good eye! It is a TAD/Strider SnG Concealed Carry in Black.

www.tripleaughtdesign.com

Moonlander-TADStrider2-1061.jpg

Oh and Ethan is feeling better and doing well with his new scooter.

I hope to see photographs of your new Moonlander in the Netherlands!

REI has 15% off on the Surly Pugsley... man really thinking of getting it..... I noticed the used market sells these for $1100 to $1300 depending on condition.. so not much depreciation..

Well did you make your move on the Pugsley? Another idea would be to ask around on the bike forums for a used Moonlander. Now that the snow season is over you might just get lucky finding one.

Gear

Overland Expo 2012 - May 20, 2012

Moonlander-OverlandExpo2012-1043.jpg

Well I was lucky enough to make it out to the Overland Expo. The event was fantastic. With that said I spent more time helping out Zach from Overland Gourmet then riding my bicycle. Here is a shot of Mormon Lake.

Moonlander-OverlandExpo20122-1044.jpg

Looking back at camp. The bike turned out to be a nice way to see all the different vehicles in the dry camp.

Moonlander-OverlandExpo20123-1045.jpg

I really liked the look of this new SD Brazos. I can't wait to see what Global Expedition Vehicles is going to do on the back of this monster.

Moonlander-OverlandExpo20125-1047.jpg

Maybe something like this! Andy how do you get the bikes down from there?

Moonlander-OverlandExpo20124-1046.jpg

It was nice to see the 4 dr. Brute at the show.

Distance 4.2 miles

Gear

San Elijo Lagoon - May 22, 2012

Moonlander-SanElijoLagoon9-7845.jpg

It is starting to heat up out here in San Diego. I noticed the marine layer was down by the coast and decided to take advantage of the cooler climate. I live 7 miles inland and it is bright and sunny.

Moonlander-SanElijoLagoon-7564.jpg

The beach looked very inviting but once again my timing was wrong. High tide! Although this would be a nice way down on a good day.

Moonlander-SanElijoLagoon9-1048.jpg

I must admit with the temperatures rising I am thinking about hanging up the bike and pulling out the paddle board. Two weeks till summer vacation.

Moonlander-SanElijoLagoon2-7576.jpg

Moonlight Beach, I got down on the sand to take a look around.

Moonlander-SanElijoLagoon7-7737.jpg

I jumped across the railroad tracks to take a look at San Elijo Lagoon.

Moonlander-SanElijoLagoon10-1051.jpg

Here is the Lagoon. I'm going to have to check with the Visitor Center about riding here. Some signs say no bikes others say you can be on existing access roads. Sill a cool place to come and hike. It is surprisingly quiet even with it sandwiched in-between the I-5 freeway and the 101.

Moonlander-SanElijoLagoon8-7791.jpg

Heading back onto the 101 for the ride back to the Jeep.

SanElijoLagoon.jpg

Distance 14.2 miles
Elevation 564 feet
Moving Average 10.8 mph

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Andy how do you get the bikes down from there?

In one of the photos posted in the trip report section, I thought I saw a hoist in the top right side of the platform, just above the bikes and to the right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1