Mid-size vs Full-size truck setup

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I really like the new GM trucks
They are nice. A 1500 with the 3.0L diesel seems intriguing. Should have good low end torque for towing and good MPG for a dd.

But, diesel is usually more expensive than diesel around here. Plus higher maintenance costs and also the payload hit from the heavier engine.

I think If I were to look at a new GM is would be an HD. Yes, yes.... I know... inferior IFS vs SFA. But, my IFS F150's have done everything I've needed them to.

I'm not even close to being in the market again, but if I was the RamCharger seems pretty intriguing. EV for DD commute and generator for longer drives while towing. Looks like it will have good payload and towing figures too.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I really wanted a Stone Grey Tremor when I was ordering my truck but seeing that Antimatter blue on in your link, they look sharp in that color too.

Too bad Ford wouldn't let me order a Tremor with a 6.5" box, Max Tow and Trailer mirrors. GM lets you order a Trail Boss or AT4 that way.
Still can’t get a big fuel tank in a half ton GM right?

UglyViking

A few things I'll share, as someone who has taken a decent amount of trips in the north east, and is finally getting back to it more regularly, and who has 2 young kids and 2 dogs (lab and small mixed).

You will not check the box with everything you want. You will need to decide what trade offs you're willing to make to best suit your needs here. There is no free lunch and all that. I didn't see if you mentioned about space, but if you're talking roughly 2-3 weeks a year worth of camping, and you have the space you can easily build out a used vehicle dedicated to your camping hobby. Something dedicated to the task at hand will always perform better than something you're having to make a bunch of trade offs for. There is also a potential that you can find a cheap-ish storage location for your camping truck/trailer. Again, all trade offs.

The other thing is the reality of camping with young kids. Since you've not done it yet I'll tell you it's not a picnic, and you've really got to want to do it to make it worthwhile for you. While there are a select few people who are willing to do whatever it takes to get out and camping a few times a year, the vast majority will not. Just keep in mind the desire vs reality as you're going down this road.

Ok, so you've decided that you want to camp, and you want a single rig that is a daily as well as a dedicated camp rig. You've also decided that you want a cap/campershell combo. Great. Firstly, it's gonna be hard with a single young kiddo, and even harder with 2. As they get older you're gonna find yourself exceptionally limited on space. Plan for bringing some sort of large tent as additional "out of truck" room for hanging out in or sleeping.

As for rigs, you can't do a midsize rig. Well, I suppose you could, but you're not gaining anything really. I'd look at full size, and frankly I'd look mostly at the Ram 2500 platform. Reasons:
  • Turning radius of the Ram HD is shorter than the new Tundra, F-150 and Silverado, it's slightly larger than most midsize trucks by about 2-3'. I've not yet found a trail where I can't do a little wiggle to get around, and I'm in the north east, where it's pretty tight vs the west/southwest.
  • Payload is far higher than any of the other 1500 series trucks, and the frame, steering, etc. are all far beefier stock. That is going to mean longer life out of your components.
  • Pretty solid aftermarket support. Not as much as jeeps or tacos, but prob better than F150s and def better than the silverados
  • Current Ram HD trucks are the same design, frame, suspension, cab, etc. as they have been since ~2014. That means more parts availability.
  • Hemi or Cummins engines, both get good to fair MPG, and both are solid engines at this point.
I would personally avoid the 1500 series trucks for the reasons listed above, plus for the slightly increased cost you get something much more stout with the HD platform.

As far as others recommending trailers. Yeah, it's not ideal. That said, you said two things, you like to go deep into the woods for 10 days at a time, and you like to explore cities. Well, which is your focus? If you want a better "camp" experience, the trailer is hard to beat, especially if you are able to drop it off for a few days to explore. (eg. find a campsite on the outskirts of seattle, drop the trailer and enjoy a few days exploring the city, enjoying showers at the campsite, then get back on the road out into the bush)

FWIW, I went through a similar process a while back and landed on a Cummins 2500. I wouldn't recommend the Cummins engine unless you really wanted the extended range or were just a diesel bro (me on both counts), but it's an option. I initially was towing our 32' trailer with it, but we have since upgraded to a large 44' toyhualer with necessitated a dually. I've been blessed with the income and job that enable me to do that style travel so we plan to take full advantage of it.

I did fall in love with my 2500 though, so I've kept it as my daily/camp truck. Thus far, I've been able to slap on a cap, front and rear bumpers, winch, etc. and continue building it out for trips "with the boys" and eventually with the kiddos as they get a bit older. It's vastly overkill for my needs, but I love the damn thing so I'll own it till it rusts apart most likely.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I’d be surprised on the turning radius being better on the hd, and unless you need an he everything about it is going to be more expensive.
I would'nt be shocked. SuperCrew 5.5 bed has a 145" wheelbase. Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed wheelbase is 149". So might be close.
My 157" wheelbase SuperCrew 6.5 bed F150 has the turning circle of the Titanic.

jaywo

Thanks @UglyViking for the write up.

There are 17 for sale within 100 miles of me, in central Kentucky (which includes Cincinnati). I can pick you up from the airport if you're interested in flying into Lexington. Here's one for $6 0k and two others for $61k and $61.7k

LINK to all of them.

Thanks a lot for having a look! Unfortunately all of those are the base Tremor (non high package). That package which I want is $8K (now $11K on the 2024) and so this goes a long way showing how good the deal I had was (basically including a $8K package for free). On top of that there are a few options I want (Torsen Differential, Tow package for future readiness, and a few others). There are plenty without the high package for 60K here, and for 66K+ with everything I want. But I refuse to pay 66K used for something I could have gotten brand new for less money.

As far as the above recommandations for HD truck. Too expensive, too little MPG, and probably more capability than I need. I love the RamCharger proposition but I think it will cost a ridiculous amount and also it doesn’t come in a rugged version, just a city/futuristic trim.
The only HD truck I like from a look perspective and function (off road equipment) is the new GMC HD AT4X with the AEV package. But that’s a $90K truck. Ridiculous.

Oh and for trailers, you guys have put a seed in my brain. Now I spent hours looking at them. I like the Kimberley Karavan because it’s super small and offroadable, then deploys into nice living quarters. But $130K + the truck is almost $200K. For this price I can have a GMC HD + a Supertramp Flagship LT + an EV for daily driving.…

Dougnuts

Not saying you're wrong, but a Tremor high for under $65k isn't something I've seen. If you can get one, with what you listed, for $66k, I would jump on it. My coworker paid $65k and did not get the Torsen.

jaywo

Not saying you're wrong, but a Tremor high for under $65k isn't something I've seen. If you can get one, with what you listed, for $66k, I would jump on it. My coworker paid $65k and did not get the Torsen.

Oh I sure am not. I have been studying Tremors for months, and been watching prices, daily for months now, talked and negotiated with half a dozen dealers, and third parties. I have alerts in a 500 miles radius around me and see every used Tremor going for sale.

My dealer had 3 brand new ones with high packages + torsen + other options (MSRP $74K) for $64K (10K under msrp) for the last 2 days of December and first week of january. Almost bought it but wasnt sure about full size back then. Then because brand new Tremors were starting to be out of stock nationwide and 2024 are late availability, they rose the price a bit and they ended up selling them all.

The one for 61K I was talking about in the previous spot was used, but certified by the dealer and only 5000 miles. Window sticker 74.5K. I jumped on it, but someone from out of state called the dealer minutes after opening and put a deposit on it before I did.

$66K for a used Tremor high package is a poor deal and can be found easily. In fact there was one for $63K close to me a week ago (also high package and Torsen) but it had 12K miles, so I consider this a poor deal also.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Well, not much progress here toward a decision. Post was made that a Bronco with 35's could travel over washboard roads at 60 mph and would ride much better than an F-150. Pure horsepucky!

My son has the big bronco, 35's, twin turbo, rag top, Sasquash model and I've ridden it many times, reminds me of an empty Army Duce n' half rolling over a brick street and just as loud.

Doesn't really matter what it is, a short wheelbase, large aired up hard tires means a rough ride.

This thread is getting like a BS contest around a campfire going on the third case of Bud.

If $65K is too much for a truck and $30/35K is too much for a camping trailer, let's stop daydreaming and get to reality, get a used F-150 and a trailer. Trailers mentioned have all been the off road bling queens, go with a Jumping Jack, a used one.

Advice has been given, but the tune changes, seems the real goal is to see how many pages can be added to this thread, describe every vehicle and variables and you still won't have a winner.

jaywo

Well, not much progress here toward a decision. Post was made that a Bronco with 35's could travel over washboard roads at 60 mph and would ride much better than an F-150. Pure horsepucky!

My son has the big bronco, 35's, twin turbo, rag top, Sasquash model and I've ridden it many times, reminds me of an empty Army Duce n' half rolling over a brick street and just as loud.

Doesn't really matter what it is, a short wheelbase, large aired up hard tires means a rough ride.

This thread is getting like a BS contest around a campfire going on the third case of Bud.

If $65K is too much for a truck and $30/35K is too much for a camping trailer, let's stop daydreaming and get to reality, get a used F-150 and a trailer. Trailers mentioned have all been the off road bling queens, go with a Jumping Jack, a used one.

Advice has been given, but the tune changes, seems the real goal is to see how many pages can be added to this thread, describe every vehicle and variables and you still won't have a winner.

Definitely not the goal no.
Couldn’t figure the goal of your message either.

UglyViking

I’d be surprised on the turning radius being better on the hd, and unless you need an he everything about it is going to be more expensive.

Using latest model information, at least that I could find. All trucks are crew cab for sake of consistency unless noted.

ModelBed lengthTurning radiusBetter or worse than Ram 2500
Ram 25006.4'23.9'Same
Ford F-2506.75'24.8'0.9' Worse
GM 2500~6.75'26.4'2.5' Worse
Ram 15006.4'23.8'0.1' Better
Ram 15005.5'22.6'1.3' Better
Ford F-1506.5'25.6'1.7' Worse
Ford F-1505.5'23.9'Same
GM 15006.75' (I think GM uses the same beds in HD and SD)24.8'0.9' Worse
GM 1500~5.5'23.1'0.8' Better
GMC AT4/AT4X 15006.75'25.4'1.5' Worse
GMC AT4/AT4X 1500~5.5'23.6'0.3' Better
Toyota Tundra (Double Cab)6.5'24.3'0.4' Worse
Toyota Tundra (Crew Cab)5.5'24.3'0.4' Worse

So while it's not a lot in most cases, it is basically worse across the board, except the Ram 1500 and GM 1500 short bed. One call out is that the GMC trucks appear to have different turning radius between the "bade model" and AT4 and AT4X trucks. The real thing I'm trying to call out here is that, if you compare a CC >6' bed, the Ram 2500 has the best turning radius, by a little to a lot. You see a ton of Tundra builds for overland, so if a Tundra can hit the trails, and the Ram 2500 is roughly half a foot better turning radius, it can handle it as well.

Do with this information what you will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal