Milemarker Hydraulic Winch info?

brushogger

Explorer
I really like the idea of using one of these winches with an upgraded ps pump. Has anyone had any personal experience with these. So far the impressions have been they work well, are durable, but slow. I haven't communicated with anyone who has personally used one. Thanks for any input you can give.

Alan
KD5JPK

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
They're used on military vehicles...but I don't like the fact that if the engine quits, thats it....at least with an electric winch you have a few moments of battery left.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Your impressions are correct. They are slow, but they just keep on going. There is no worry about cooking a low duty cycle electric motor like the ones on most winches. Since they are two speed, they spool in the line pretty quickly. I'd never replace with with an electric winch.

Obviously, you need to confirm the specs of the steering pump. On my Land Rover the factory pump has an output of 1100psi (probably on a good day), which is much less than the recommended psi for the winch of 1500psi. I installed a 1800psi pump and then installed a relief valve so I wouldn't blow out my steering box. It has been working fine for years.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
As much as i use a winch in a year, its a better option to buy an inexpensive, but highly thought of winch.

Namely, the chicago electric winch from harbor frieght. It is a solid performer at a very low price, and since I'll only use it a few times a year, is a good choice for me.

If I used my truck for work where a winch was employed, there are only two choices in my opinion for a robust winch on a truck like my XJ.

-milemarker 10,500lb hydraulic with dedicated hydrualic pump
-Warn 8274 electric with dual batteries and high output alternator

I'd lean towards the hydraulic for an everyday user, because of its low noise, un-ending duty cycle, and highly controllable (slower,safer) winch speed.

I'd lean towards the electric if I were pulling expedition land rovers through water, mud, up cliffs, etc, due to the distinct possibility of dousing the electrics. A truck with waterproofed motor and electrics that mysteriously dies while wading can be safely pulled across a river, dried off and restarted with a healthy dual battery setup and electric winch.

my .02 cents

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Your on the right track with a hi-quality high output ps pump. My really only experience with the Milemarker is helping troubleshoot and install a pump for a customers Land Cruiser. He was running the typical Saginaw parts counter variety 'canned ham' pump which did have a 1500psi output but he was burning the pump up or having major seal issues when using the winch. We eneded up with an AGR Saginaw pump. Problem solved and the winch opperated faster than it previously had even with some of the Saginaw tweaks (orfice drill & spring shim, etc)

brushogger

Explorer
Your on the right track with a hi-quality high output ps pump. My really only experience with the Milemarker is helping troubleshoot and install a pump for a customers Land Cruiser. He was running the typical Saginaw parts counter variety 'canned ham' pump which did have a 1500psi output but he was burning the pump up or having major seal issues when using the winch. We eneded up with an AGR Saginaw pump. Problem solved and the winch opperated faster than it previously had even with some of the Saginaw tweaks (orfice drill & spring shim, etc)

Thanks guys for all the input. My next question was going to be about ps pump recomendations, but cruiseroutfit took care of that. I think this is the direction I will go since I plan to have this jeep for many years. There have been times in the past when we have gone on " river rescues" in the summer heat and have had to spend a lot of time waiting for winches to cool and batteries to charge back up. I used to work with some insurance companies doing recoveries in places a wrecker couldn't access and I'm thinking about getting back into it as a sideline. You don't make a lot of money at it, but you can write off your rig and gear on taxes if you set things up right. Just work with a good CPA.:victory:

tinker trek

Observer
There have been times in the past when we have gone on " river rescues" in the summer heat and have had to spend a lot of time waiting for winches to cool and batteries to charge back up.

Me and buddy sank two Toyota pickups one night in the South Canadian river.
This was back in 1984 -young & dumb! It cost me $300. to get a frontend loader to go pull us out.This was in Norman...:coffeedrink:

A Hydraulic Winch would be great for long pulls like that.

cheers.

brushogger

Explorer
That was one of the main areas we worked. Airbag jacks and a good winch are your best friends on that river! The quicksand is a &@/:?!

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
I had Milemarkers on my last two rigs before this truck. I loved them. With the one on my Suburban I had to make a couple 100ft pulls. It always made the pulls without fuss. No reving of the engine...just pulling at idle. They are slow though. I bought a hydraulic winch for my newest truck also. I think the one time you need it or someone you're helping needs it makes it worth it. I would say whatever you get.....practice alot!
Chas

HarryT

Adventurer
I've got a five year old MileMarker 9000 hydraulic winch on my 2005 Rubicon.
I'm still using the original equipment power steering pump. I spent four hours yesterday pulling stumps (some took three snatch blocks,broke one chain) and the winch worked great. Its also pulled 16,000 pound rollback tow trucks that were bogged to the frame (friend owns a tow service, I help him often). A hydraulic winch is much better than an electric in my world but I have a 8000 Ramsey electric on the rear bumper just in case.
Another good point for the hydraulic winch is the drum does not get hot like electric winches so synthetic cable doesn't melt.

85CUCV

Adventurer
I've been running a 10.5 Milemarker hydraulic for about 5 years on my K5. I'm happy with it and would not replace it with anything except with the 12,000lb model. (Which I would have no reason to do.)

Ditto on slow line speed.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Well, there's a good reason the military switched to them. A good buddy of mine does Humvee maintenance for the Marines and it's one of the first things they had to replace when they'd get new Humvee's in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1