MillerPKA's Build Thread

MillerPKA

Observer
Starting a little late on this one but I wanted something other than my intro thread to share progress. For the full history and specs go here:

http://www.yotatech.com/f79/roor-runner-s-97-sr5-115238/

Short recap from the last 6 months.

Started with graphite 2 tone with current setup minus a few things.

PICT0800.jpg

August - Changed graphite 2 tone to army tan, borrowed the hood for the picture haha. Added Wet Okoles for the front seats and got taillights from an 02.

100_0069-1.jpg

October - Added Gobi ladder

PA250011.jpg

December - Back to black

P1020036.jpg

January - Gobi Stealth Rack

P1120067-1.jpg

Decals removed and windows spot free

P1230191.jpg

P1240197.jpg

Today - Began suspension and framework treatment with the front and ifs. We will finish all the frame, wheel wells and rear axle this weekend.

Coming this weekend, Bushwackers painted to match. Sport hood.

blackifs.jpg

Last edited:
Today - Began suspension and framework treatment with the front and ifs. We will finish all the frame, wheel wells and rear axle this weekend.

What treatment product are you going with? I just started mine today with a mix of Rustoleum Undercoating for the plastic pieces and body sheet metal, and POR-15 for the frame. So far, so good, but DANG, the going is s-l-o-w.

You having better luck with something else?

MillerPKA

Observer
What treatment product are you going with? I just started mine today with a mix of Rustoleum Undercoating for the plastic pieces and body sheet metal, and POR-15 for the frame. So far, so good, but DANG, the going is s-l-o-w.

You having better luck with something else?

I did the front with Krylon Rust Tough Enamel mainly because we had some left over from a previous job. I'm going to inspect it in the morning and see how I feel about the finish. I think its the same stuff for a few spots last year and its held up great so I think I'll be set. I'm spending my time on other things so this provides an efficient solution without sacrificing quality.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Nice truck. I see the best rigs sport 80 series Landcruiser wheels. :cool:

Have you though about sliders, though? I'm already fretting over damage and I don't even know you...

I did the front with Krylon Rust Tough Enamel mainly because we had some left over from a previous job. I'm going to inspect it in the morning and see how I feel about the finish. I think its the same stuff for a few spots last year and its held up great so I think I'll be set. I'm spending my time on other things so this provides an efficient solution without sacrificing quality.

Good advice, buddy. Thanks! Be sure to let us know how it works out for you in the end. (With pics, of course.)
:coffee:

MillerPKA

Observer
Good advice, buddy. Thanks! Be sure to let us know how it works out for you in the end. (With pics, of course.)
:coffee:

After a day and some change I checked the paint job and its holding up perfectly. I'll get some pictures later but I got the Bushwackers and sport hood on a couple hours ago about to go out and break down the clear coat and build her back up.

I left the rear bumper caps off do you think I should put them on? I'll get some comparisons in a little bit. Also thinking about blacking out the silver grille inside the scoop, let me know what you think.

100_0404.jpg

100_0405.jpg

100_0406.jpg

Edit: Took the badges off the rear and gave them a coat of some Duplicolor Graphite I had left over

100_0407.jpg

Last edited:

Rab89

Observer
your sliders fell off! haha

I really think sliders would be a good idea, and they would hide your frame nicely.

MillerPKA

Observer
alright thought i'd throw some pictures up of todays progress. finish coating the whole frame and wheel wells, axle, headers, exhaust and muffler. and thanks to Meguiar's Ultimate Compound broke the oxidation and water spots completely down to match with the new paint of the flares and sport hood. its the best the paint has ever looked. tomorrow we're finishing it up with the wax but i gotta head out now

Before

100_0414.jpg

100_0415.jpg

100_0416.jpg

After

100_0417.jpg

100_0418.jpg

100_0419.jpg

100_0420-1.jpg

100_0421-1.jpg

100_0422-1.jpg

Last edited:
Looks amazing. And totally mean as hell. I feel sorry for the soccer mom's you tailgate. :violent-smiley-031:

So did you simply spray the Krylon right over existing rust spots, or did you wire brush and/or chem wash them first? I like the POR-15 (although I think they should call it PITA-15), but it does require a significant amount of prep prior to application.

Assuming you have at least some rust, as most of us do, I'm curious if it will eventually eat back through the Krylon. Your experience?

In any event, again, it looks fantastic. You've [kind of] inspired me to go break out the buffer and compound. Ugh. :ar15:

MillerPKA

Observer
Thanks man...haha well I try not to tailgate but being honest its the perfect vehicle for how I drive, gets my point across very quick :)

We did little prep work but rust is close to nonexistent. I caught what there was a couple years ago with some rustoleum and its held up over coats. My motive was 60% cosmetics 40% structural integrity so this is the perfect product for it. The spots we had done in June have held up great, I expect this paint to hold its finish for at least another year because of our patience and coating. I have read up on POR-15 but I don't think it'd a better finish that justifies that much more prep time, I get everything I want for about 15-20 bucks. Again, minimal rust I was dealing with but no evidence of rust breaching the coat from June

MillerPKA

Observer
I decided to paint the rims today. I ditched the Duplicolor idea last minute and went with more Krylon Hammer Tough...this time in flat black. These rims came out great considering the amount of rock rash on them. Thanks to a deck of cards and 3 cans of this stuff I got it done in 3 hours. Now the exterior is almost done

Before

aaaaa.jpg

Gotta give the Jeep guys credit for giving me the deck of cards trick, worked like a charm

100_0431.jpg

After

100_0432.jpg

100_0433.jpg

100_0435.jpg

100_0436.jpg

MillerPKA

Observer
Had a shoot today down in Savannah and almost didn't drive her away from it. It ended up snowing 2-3 around this area for the first time in 15 years and it brought worse flooding than I projected. Luckily I managed to pull the engine and tranny out before I lost traction and stalled. Had to jump start the starter and got her barely running to assist in the pull out. She got better back on hard ground and we were able to get a little more out of the shoot. Next one I just can't mix business with pleasure as much, and at 221k now I don't think my engines begging for another run so soon :)

Check out Bushwacker and Gobi online soon for the highlights of the shoot!

6210.jpg

MJA_6969-1.jpg

MJA_6970.jpg

MJA_7016.jpg

MJA_7020.jpg

MJA_7371.jpg

MJA_7551.jpg

MJA_7569.jpg

MJA_7511.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members