Mitsubishi Montero 2.5g looking for some motivation

jmoji

Hello guys!

New forum member here with an inherited 2.5g montero from my parents. It is a 1998 Montero with the 3.5 with 160k+ miles. The engine is not running well at all and the transmission shifting is not smooth at all. From my research here on the boards, it looks like I am due for timing belt, water pump, t-stat, belts, front/rear cam seals, and valve cover gaskets at the least. These are going to be some big money repairs as I will not be able to perform them myself. I guess I am reaching out to you guys for some advise. I really want to keep the rig and build it up a little. The build threads here are very inspiring. Soo... my question is will it be easier to just get a new motor and call it a day? Are there popular engine swaps that people do on these Monteros?

Let me know what you guys think. I really want to get this thing running 100% and maybe do a little offroading with it too. :coffeedrink:

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
160k isn't bad, I'd catch it up on maintenance and rock that motor. As for the trans, Is it shifting hard or irregular?

Here's some motivation...

resized.jpg

What side of the country are you in?

jmoji

Woah! That’s an awesome pic you got there.

As for the transmission, the shift from 1rst to second is very abrupt. The car stops reving after 4K rpm and it seems to bog down. This may be related to the rough shifting as there is a substantial loss of power.

I have a mechanic friend checking out my car tomorrow to do a visual inspection and test drive.

My plan is to get the engine running smooth first along with catching up on all the maintenance then I’ll start fixing all the other issues.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
The miles are pretty good considering the age...only thing I wish mine was lower milage when I got it, but only being 1 owner and a long maintenance history I was comfortable to overlook that. Sounds like the motor needs a maintenance overhaul, but I would see what codes the rig is throwing if any and check for compression to make sure nothing internally could be a issue. I would strongly recommend all the seals, timing tensioner, VC gaskets and all other misc gaskets and orings for the cooling system to be OEM also...everything else you can get through Rock Auto. Just make sure your belts are Gates and the water pump is Aisin...same manufacture that makes the OEM pump.

As for the transmission...I would give it a fresh ATF flush. Mitsu SP3 is recommended and even Hyundia/Kia SP3....I personally used Amsoil ATF and so far so good, transmission shifts like butter.

Here is my build thread for possible motivation.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/171366-Mrgalantguys-1998-Montero-Winter-package-aka-quot-Groot-quot

jmoji

Thank you all for the awesome info. I am located in Southern California btw.

Hopefully the inspection today doesn’t turn out too bad.

Do you guys know of any reputable shops in Southern California?

jmoji

The miles are pretty good considering the age...only thing I wish mine was lower milage when I got it, but only being 1 owner and a long maintenance history I was comfortable to overlook that. Sounds like the motor needs a maintenance overhaul, but I would see what codes the rig is throwing if any and check for compression to make sure nothing internally could be a issue. I would strongly recommend all the seals, timing tensioner, VC gaskets and all other misc gaskets and orings for the cooling system to be OEM also...everything else you can get through Rock Auto. Just make sure your belts are Gates and the water pump is Aisin...same manufacture that makes the OEM pump.

As for the transmission...I would give it a fresh ATF flush. Mitsu SP3 is recommended and even Hyundia/Kia SP3....I personally used Amsoil ATF and so far so good, transmission shifts like butter.

Here is my build thread for possible motivation.

Your thread is amazing. I admire how thorough you went through everything down to the smallest detail.

I was thinking about my strategy of how I am going to tackle this at work and my first concern will be resolving the loss of power issue.

I will then need to rebuild the steering assembly as the steering wheel shakes A LOT and the steering feel is extremely vague. I can almost do a quarter turn of the wheel before the car even does anything while driving.

After I can get the power back and steering feels safe enough, I will take it to the nearest shop and get the fluids flushed out and refreshed: front/rear diff, transmission, transfer case, radiator, oil change, brake fluid.

I noticed that it takes quite a bit of effort to stop the vehicle. Is this normal as the truck is pretty heavy? Or should I just go ahead and replace all the break pads as well?

skeet87

just bought a 94 SR off craigslist. My first used car off craigslist and I got semi burned lol didn't check under the engine enough and found an oil leak coming from the engine oil cooler return or sender hose not sure which one car only has 140k on it though......I really hope I can get this thing to 200k with not too much more money put into it lol wishful thinking

Thank you all for the awesome info. I am located in Southern California btw.

Hopefully the inspection today doesn’t turn out too bad.

Do you guys know of any reputable shops in Southern California?

I reccomemd Miyaki Motorsports. Talk to the owner Ryan. He had a 99 Montero and has an 03 Montero.

2623 Tyler Ave, El Monte, CA 91733
(626) 453-8991

https://yelp.to/qTKq/RMrJ9AAN7G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snare

Adventurer
hurricanecreek917.jpg

I got mine all stock with 211,000 miles on it.

I second the transmission flush , only with SP-III fluid (Eneos brand at Napa is know to work perfectly).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1