Moby1 owners?

TwinStick

Explorer
Anybody know if Moby 1 is going to have a showing (fully loaded XTR) at the Overland Expo East ? My wife and i are seriously interested in one. Want to see one in person, talk financing, etc. . Thanks for any replies from those that know.

I tried the website, but it won't let me type into the contact boxes ???????????????????????????????

UPDATE: I figured out how to e-mail them directly. They returned my e-mail & answered my questions in less than 30 minutes !!! How is :Wow1: THAT for service !!! :victory:

Last edited:

fireball

Explorer
We did too. Honestly probably out of our price range but would still like to give them a good look over .

brushogger

Explorer
I hope to be in a position to order ours next year. I was planning to raise the mattress on a platform about 3 inches with hatches to have a place to store firearms, fishing gear, etc. Do you think this would cut down too much on foot space in the area under the kitchen? Pathfinder- Using the heater, cooking, and shower, about how many days do you get out of one tank of propane.

Last edited:

rowerwet

I hope to be in a position to order ours next year. I was planning to raise the mattress on a platform about 3 inches with hatches to have a place to store firearms, fishing gear, etc. Do you think this would cut down too much on foot space in the area under the kitchen? Pathfinder- Using the heater, cooking, and shower, about how many days do you get out of one tank of propane.
The real test will be if the front of the cabinet will clear your shins. Lie on the bed, raise your knees, see how much clearance there is to your shins, then subtract 3".

Pathfinder

Adventurer
I just built a platform out of 1x2 cedar boards, arranged vertically on their side to create a 1.75 inch tall platform with 1/2 inch between each board to help with ventilation under the mattress to minimize condensation under the mattress, as there was no air flow there at all, and in cold weather it might lead to retained moisture.

I do not anticipate it creating any problems for me and my size 13 feet. Your milage may vary depending on your shoe size of course..... 3 inches might be pushing it, but I do like your thinking about a hidden compartment for gear. I'll have to think on that.

I'll try to remember to measure the height inside the cabin beneath the kitchen tomorrow for you.

As for propane use, I think for general camping use it will last for weeks, if all you are doing is cooking. Heating lots of water will need more propane as will using the furnace lots. But then you only have 30 gallons of water so no really long showers either. Navy shower is the order of the day. How often will you be camping in below freezing nights? I know three nights in the mid-teens hardly affected the tank at all.

Last edited:

Bombsight

Observer
Other than maybe near the door(s) area, I cant see how air flow is allowed. Seems as though the mattress is pretty snug up against the interior sides.
Here are two options which may or may not help with the condensate under the mattress issue (One being costly & the other only $20 @ Wal-Mart):

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...term=S-11312BL&utm_campaign=Boxes,+Corrugated

http://www.amazon.com/Golds-Gym-6-p...13&sr=8-2&keywords=Gold+Gym+high+impact+floor

I just bought the Gym mat @ Wal-mart. $19.00

Attachments

• moby mattress.jpg
    moby mattress.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 166
  • moby interior.jpg
    moby interior.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Pathfinder

Adventurer
You are correct Bombsight, the mattress fits very snugly against the walls - as long as the ambient temp is not too cold it probably is not a real problem. But when you get two people sleeping in the closed space with the furnace on to help take off the chill, you will get some condensation on the walls or floor, and it may freeze temporarily. I speak from experience here. Maybe I didn't open the windows enough, but with the temp in the mid teens, opening the windows wide open wasn't that appealing.

I wanted something open underneath the mattress to allow air flow, and I made my platform/ spacer with 1x2 cedar boards on edge - ~44 of them 1/2 inch apart held together with 1/4 in poly rope threaded through them. I can roll the platform up in a cylinder like you roll up a large map. The platform raises the mattress 1.75 inches off the floor. Large enough space one could hide some items there if they needed to. I will see this November how they do in Goblin Valley, which should be chilly again by then.

I did go out and measure the living space as I said I would

The cabin measures 53 inches wide and 79 inches long. The inner height is 45.5 inches at the cabin doors. The height in the back of the trailer, beneath the cabinet and the kitchen area is at a minimum of 20.5 inches tall where a support beam goes under the cabinet. Other than the beam you have two or three more inches. Your mattress will be 6-8 inches thick depending on which version you choose. On mine I will have to add 1.75 inches due to my platform I built to hold the mattress higher. The distance from the floor to the lower edge of the cabin door sill is 4 inches. So the mattress does sit higher than the cabin door margin.

Interestingly very little dust or grit made it into the cabin despite being in a convoy of 6 or 8 vehicles on the road into Cathedral Valley in Capital Reef. The rubber gasketing seems to work pretty well as we were in a veritable sandstorm cloud from all the vehicles in front of us. And the mattress sits tight enough against the door sill that ingress of dust and sand is minimal.

On my trailer the distance from the ground to the lower sill of the cabin door is 31 inches, and my trailer sits on BFG ATs that match my FJC. Hence the need for a step for my spouse - or at least she prefers a step be present.

ksj

Observer
I stuck 1 1/2" of Styrofoam insulation under the mattress of my 60" XTR (the kind with a reflective side @ Home Depot). Haven't seen an issue since, but I haven't used it as much as I would like to...

Last edited:

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
I stuck 1 1/2" of Styrofoam insulation under the mattress of my 60" XTR (the kind with a reflective side @ Home Depot). Haven't seen an issue since, but I haven't used it as much as I would like to...
I was hoping to see you come out to the NW Overland Rally this year. There were all kinds of trailers and other tear drops there.

ksj

Observer
I was hoping to see you come out to the NW Overland Rally this year. There were all kinds of trailers and other tear drops there.

Yeah, I was going to go, but I had to go on a business trip at pretty much the last minute. I was thinking of riding my motorcycle up for the rally rather than bringing the trailer though...

TwinStick

Explorer
Quick question: Is the interior wood finished with anything ? Like a clear coat or minwax, to protect the wood from moisture, so wiping up any condensation would be easy with no damage to the wood ? This would be an issue for us as well, in the north east climate. Thanks in advance for the response/s.

Pathfinder

Adventurer
Yes, it has a clear coat, of varnish (I think) .

It is a transparent coating, so the wood does not seem to absorb the condensation.

Above freezing it is not really an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1