Modified Off Road Trailer Build 2017 (M.O.R.T)

HuntfishcampXJRay

Get out, Get dirty
Update, on Friday I picked up my steel 2x3x9 .120 so I can now start the welding and cutting process. Will post pics as I go. I am concentrating on building the main frame/Base and then onto the body.

HuntfishcampXJRay

Get out, Get dirty
I started on my framework yesterday. I cut the 9 ft sections of the 2x3 down to 8 ft length and then tack welded them together. The triangular measurements came in at exactly 111" corner to corner to give me a perfect rectangle. I cut the pieces using a 7 1/4 miter compound saw (Lowes) with a Diablo Steel blade. Cutting was extremely smooth. I am welding with an Eastwood 135 MIG welder that seems to handle this very nice also. ( Someone thought that I didn't need my Craftsman welder I had for years and kindly relieved me of it). Today I will get the frame off the floor and start mounting the springs and axle. Kinda rough when working by yourself.

Attachments

• SAM_0122.JPG
    SAM_0122.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 43
  • SAM_0125.JPG
    SAM_0125.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 46
  • SAM_0118.JPG
    SAM_0118.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 45
  • SAM_0119.JPG
    SAM_0119.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 47
  • SAM_0124.JPG
    SAM_0124.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Lucky j

Explorer
Regular miter saw and a steel blade?? Can you give the detail about the blade, I always thought that the rpm need was different.

Very curious about that. Always wanted to get the real mccoy from dewalt, but never could bite the bullet. Would go away from the dust wheel if I could aford it.

HuntfishcampXJRay

Get out, Get dirty
Regular miter saw and a steel blade?? Can you give the detail about the blade, I always thought that the rpm need was different.

Very curious about that. Always wanted to get the real mccoy from dewalt, but never could bite the bullet. Would go away from the dust wheel if I could aford it.

The Blade is a 7 1/4 Diablo Steel Blade. I picked it up from Northern Tool $40.00. You can also look at (Sawblade.com) This thing is super tough, and cut like butter.
I have a video of the cut but can't seem to get it to post. Because you can use it in a circular saw there is no rpm limitations. The downsize is the size of metal you can cut. Like a 2 1/2 inch height limit. But it worked perfect for me.

Last edited:

HuntfishcampXJRay

Get out, Get dirty
Today I finished welding the main outter frame. I also tack welded the leaf spring shackles. I cut my main cross beams and picked up my center beam. It's coming along quite nicely.20170215_192202.jpg20170215_194211.jpg20170215_192140.jpg

KTM-Todd

I'm in on this one.

Keep us updated on the saw. I have been wanting one for a long time, just have other wants higher on the list. Most metal saws blades max RPM is 1800. That is why they will not work in wood miter saws. Your 7.25 blade max is 5800 and your saw tops out at 5000 RPM. Should work out by the numbers. And $120 for the saw and $40 for a blade might be worth a try. $18 for a two year replacement plan is probably money well spent. Let us know if you see a noticeable difference on cut speed and quality as your build goes on.

Also you can get those blades resharpened several times, I would guess $7-8.

Keep up the good work. I hope the start mine after the summer heat.

Todd

HuntfishcampXJRay

Get out, Get dirty
Just a suggestion, why not just go with a 2 inch spacer and avoid having to open up the rim center? If you are going to use one spare for all then you will have to open up the spare rim as well. Also, if you go with ez-lube hubs you only need to fit the tip of a grease gun through to lube the spindles. Just a thought.

Thanks DStock. Took your suggestion and ordered a 2 inch spacer. Still waiting for it.

azscotts

Observer
How does the weld look?

I'm only an amateur, but I'd say it looks decent. I might push up just a little bit more on the top, but it looks like a decent stack-o-dimes. You could always do what I did, I welded some tube with a joint like that and took it to a friend with a metal saw and had him cut it in half to see what the penetration looked like, etc.

HuntfishcampXJRay

Get out, Get dirty
Been out for about a week. Got back on it today. Made a lot of progress today. Saturday I received the spacers and put on the tires. They look good. Still have more work to Do on the frame then will start the work on the camper portion.

Attachments

• 20170220_131224.jpg
    20170220_131224.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170220_131157.jpg
    20170220_131157.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member