Modular Hardtop, Barn Door, Rack - JKU

I'll be taking a page out of Jeff's (jscherb) book and incorporating a couple of his successful projects for my own use. These various projects are all sort of intertwined, and include a modular hardtop, barn door conversion, and an integrated roof rack.

For the modular hardtop and barn door, I will largely be mimicking Jeff's design. My skills and resources are not quite at Jeff's level, so expect some differentiation due to that. Some other quick highlights below:

Barn door - for any JK owner, you understand the nuisance of the separate step of lifting the glass each time you place or retrieve anything from the rear storage area. The goal here is to integrate the swing gate and upper window section as one, with the option to remove the upper window section completely. See Jeff's thread for all of the detail. I do not plan to include the rear wiper and defrost mechanisms.

Hardtop - converting the hardtop to modular was not exactly necessary for the barn door, but I generally prefer to drive without windows/door, but with the roof (some refer to this as stagecoach). It took almost a year for a hardtop to pop up on Craigslist or Facebook's Marketplace that was under $1,000. I ended up with a newer model white painted hardtop that had some non-structural scuffs and damage, and black freedom panels for $200. My Jeep is white, and most of the top's paint is in good condition, so I will try my hand at refurbishing the paint (and freedom panels) back to white. I have some ideas about how the rear window panels can be made to quick release, but I am not far along in the process to pursue the design for those just yet. I am also tossing around different ideas for converting the rear side panels to storage, or incorporating a rack ladder, etc.

Rack - I chose to include a rack for two reasons. First, I intend to run the hardtop with just the top panel only (no side or back panels) and to do so, I needed to find a way to anchor the rear of the top to the vehicle. Second, the rear storage area of the JKU is pretty limited, and the cost is not very prohibitive to build up an aluminum rack. The primary goal here is strong and light, with minimal use of steel. I will be using ACE Engineering's roof rack bracket system, which attach to the Jeep's roll bar and integrate with the roof. On the topside, I plan to build a rack from 80/20 aluminum. ACE's rack mounts are extremely stout and are rated for something like 700 lbs. I will never have nearly that much weight up there (and I will be using aluminum for the rack itself), but it's nice to know they are overbuilt for my purposes.

I expect the final cost of materials and parts to come in around $1,500.

I have very little experience in working with fiberglass and metal, so I will share any insight as I learn.

I have pretty limited free time these days, so this will be a very slow moving project, unfortunately. I will report back with updates as I make progress. In the meantime, let me know if there are any questions.

For now, just a few pics of the top and some progress with the rear upper barn door panel.

ACtC-3cKQRSTloHJQ4siPx3wlBR5ZADcyuGQQbn5exZXhepWPYNWGMXCpPGUgCuFOo2HP3qV8FUSs2o23kLZqppP9eZnkViXMY5DifWGw1XaUXFo6zOm7OhaFJsNqyMqNhnbjcvBBJqgolSycsMmNAClsamT=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3cjgF35-Ush91rtF8wNk3pKTGrUtNt9PLXzZwYzEglqYFZV_pxVkUZHVOPJHdL_ptw9FCuGHHw330liFG9dEwM6pUqvBV1_rgsXJHwx9ORmq19wks7A1GxO2xA4jl9Z8hYrZ_Q4RTmf0pDcPQJlJk-t=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3fg5J0uLKTU61QBaZ6yPHmR7AYx9DWjoupjlBRmkPl83DO8R1FypJsoReqnFy0lfnVDmJeW3YFwwXkLRv_4bdDniC1YkYIRbUAlIBbXocZI_-aua_hQr7LrF7qwfV-K06FB1ZUgRDWxzs4fYIQh7z30=w1250-h937-no

ACtC-3dac96f-A23Mzda_cB-V9olfBwOaL9ARrMxrzCxyr2-B8WoNPhojY9pU0VPxvVt4PaItr27sjA5IoJPaoBOfAP8MvPR4_QDwkuMbPzzgCqwPBgJ91if9LT-lcHNzxyD070gv9xu9ISHsoTb7FxpxLjL=w1250-h937-no
ACtC-3eZOiqcNe_skMAu2DjOE0vtXYhODOrCR2da2aFkPg0g8unQJUZJiCsFdgHYMQZxUNoWamL_9GtcxR-4tIu39tGMok7kyJoDUgc8Dc4z3-Dj8Om8qJEyXbfdSSiicuJ7fvFVF2xtHUToAW4JX88Dqimu=w1250-h937-no

Attachments

• 1591122721456.png
    1591122721456.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

Zeep

Adventurer
Good luck with the up coming project. I too am always thinking of a roof rack, But, like yourself, I am always changing out my tops.
The fact that their are even fewer options for the TJ/LJ's available, limits this!
Opting for aluminum is what I would do as well.

Good luck with the up coming project. I too am always thinking of a roof rack, But, like yourself, I am always changing out my tops.
The fact that their are even fewer options for the TJ/LJ's available, limits this!
Opting for aluminum is what I would do as well.

Thanks! Once I have this solution in place, I don't intend on removing the hard top roof panel with any regularity. I like doors off, windows removed, but I like having the protection overhead from the sun and sporadic rain showers we get almost daily in Florida during the summer. When I have my soft top on, I almost never have the windows in. Because of this preference, and the fact that a roof rack is on the priority list, the modular hardtop was the way to go for me.

My priority will be ease of don/doff for the 3 hard window panels and rear support (corners) section of the hardtop. A quick release hardware solution would be ideal, but I am not yet certain that can be safely incorporated. I don't want a rear window panel flying off while cruising down the highway.

I am also going to (down the road) see if I can design a full soft solution for the side and rear panels with the hard roof panel. Jeff (jscherb) has some ideas from which I have drawn some inspiration. I like the idea of carrying with me when needed the ability to get fully covered if I need to, and carrying the hard panels will not really be feasible. I think I can come up with something that is very similar to the factory soft top and how those removable panels zip in, but this is something that will come much further down the road.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
...I am also going to (down the road) see if I can design a full soft solution for the side and rear panels with the hard roof panel. Jeff (jscherb) has some ideas from which I have drawn some inspiration...

Maybe these are the photos you've drawn some inspiration from, but in case you haven't see these, the first version of the soft sides I designed for the LJ Safari Cab were soft on all 3 sides - the rear panel was also soft and metal stanchions supported the back of the roof panel:

All sides rolled up:

SummerConfig2.jpg

All sides rolled down:

SidesLeakTest.jpg

A similar design would work fine on a modular JKU/JK hardtop as well.

I haven't used this version of the soft sides in years; once I sewed the second version, which uses the fiberglass rear panel and optionally a soft barn door, I decided I liked the new version better, but the 3-sides soft version works very well too.

When you get to the point in your project that you're planning your soft sides I can post more info on the 3-sides soft version.

BTW I'm about to begin sewing a new set of soft sides for the LJ - I was given several premium fabric JKU soft tops recently and it would be very nice to have premium fabric roll-up soft sides for the LJ so I've unsewed the JKU tops and I'll use that fabric to sew new sides.

Maybe these are the photos you've drawn some inspiration from, but in case you haven't see these, the first version of the soft sides I designed for the LJ Safari Cab were soft on all 3 sides - the rear panel was also soft and metal stanchions supported the back of the roof panel:

All sides rolled up:

SummerConfig2.jpg

All sides rolled down:

SidesLeakTest.jpg

A similar design would work fine on a modular JKU/JK hardtop as well.

I haven't used this version of the soft sides in years; once I sewed the second version, which uses the fiberglass rear panel and optionally a soft barn door, I decided I liked the new version better, but the 3-sides soft version works very well too.

When you get to the point in your project that you're planning your soft sides I can post more info on the 3-sides soft version.

BTW I'm about to begin sewing a new set of soft sides for the LJ - I was given several premium fabric JKU soft tops recently and it would be very nice to have premium fabric roll-up soft sides for the LJ so I've unsewed the JKU tops and I'll use that fabric to sew new sides.

Jeff, those are exactly the photos I was referring to. I really like the idea of being able to get fully covered if needed, but don't like the idea of carrying the hard side and rear panels. As much as I expect the functionality improves by using the rear fiberglass section and soft barn door, I will be looking to have the rear sections out as much as the weather allows, but will still want some insurance. I am hoping the ACE Engineering roof-to-roll-bar tie ins along with the factory tie ins will be enough to secure the standalone roof panel without any flutter at speed - negating the need for the rear corner hard top section.

This project will come after I finish the hard sections, but I expect will kindly seek out some additional close up pictures and some insight. Hopefully I can score some premium top fabric from a JKU that I can cannibalize for this down the road.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
... Hopefully I can score some premium top fabric from a JKU that I can cannibalize for this down the road.

The premium fabric is about $135 per yard and is 60" wide. A JKU soft top will yield roughly 2 1/2 yards of usable fabric at about 55" wide, so any top you pay less than $450 for will be a better deal than buying new fabric. I saw a premium fabric JKU top on Craigslist the other day for $500, but all the ones I've seen prior to that seem to go for $800 or more.

The premium fabric is about $135 per yard and is 60" wide. A JKU soft top will yield roughly 2 1/2 yards of usable fabric at about 55" wide, so any top you pay less than $450 for will be a better deal than buying new fabric. I saw a premium fabric JKU top on Craigslist the other day for $500, but all the ones I've seen prior to that seem to go for $800 or more.

Good to know. I haven't seen too many premium fabric tops go up for sale, but when they do, they're usually north of $500.

Well, after nearly a year, I finally had some time to spend on this project. I hope I will have more time in the coming months to keep chipping away at this.

As a recap, I am using ACE Engineering's roll-bar rack supports that bolt through the factory hard top. I have not yet settled on the final decision for how I integrate the Pioneer platform with the supports. Right now, I am using the below-roof section supports from ACE, and Rhino Rack's t-track up top (T-bolts through the roof), with rack mounting feet, and the rack itself. I expect I can also design a method that utilizes ACE's above-roof mounting feet (their 'puck' system), and integrate that with the rack. I'll tinker with this after I get the barn door and modular roof panels completed.

hm_1.jpg

hm_2.jpg

hm_3.jpg

hm_4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1