mouse007's build (2014 DCSB 4x4 Taco)

mouse007

Explorer
Hello,

My name is Mauricio Cano "aka" Mouse007 and this is my build thread.
First a picture of me, in case you see me on the streets of Miami, Florida..!!!

iPhone04-20-2014083.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My Rig is a 2014Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road. It's optioned with Entune Navigation, TRD Off-Road & Toyota tow package for TRD Off-Road. Insert cheesy coment... or better yet, cheesy picture hahahaah..!!!

iPhone04-20-2014520.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I bought the truck in March 2014. I didn't get to snap a picture the day I bought it, as it was raining really bad.
So this is the best picture I have in stock form, the day I picked up the BFG KM2's.

iPhone04-20-20141204.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My friends say I have an extreme case of O.C.D. so of course I have a 3 ring binder with all my notes, bills, invoice, repairs and so on.

Taco12.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I didn't waste any time moding her, 1st was a Bestop Super Top I bought at a local 4x4 store in Pompano Beach, Florida. called Morris 4x4 Glen the owner is a good friend from back in the day. He gave me an awesome deal. The mat I bought from a Tacoma World member "Robo02cop" Thanks brother...!!! The O.E. rubber floor mats a Tacoma World member "hellsbay" gave me for free99...!! Thank you brother..!!

TacoSupertop.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

iPhone04-20-2014975.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next was suspension. I wanted a lift that was friendly on the wallet but also delivered good on/off road handling and performance.
I drive 90% on the road, well really on the highway. I would say 10% Off-Road is work & play. This lead me to go with Old Man Emu, honestly it's an awesome suspension system/kit out the box.

OME1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm a bit picky when it comes to modifications, I feel they should resolve a problem/need more than just for looks. So I started to piece my kit with the bulk using Old Man Emu.
Currently running 886 Heavy Springs up front & Dakar Heavy Leafs in the rear. (I believe that means they have a “+” signs on each not sure…?). I looked into running other shocks but after much R&D realized that this setup runs best with Old Man Emu Nitro Sport Shocks. SO, got all 4 Nitro Sport shocks.

iPhone04-20-20141272.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next was the UCA, I know you don't need UCA with this kit, but I wanted to put them in as I think it gives you better adjustability when setting up the alignment plus they look amazing.
I'm running Cambrug UCA that re-use O.E. Ball Joints, I figured that with low miles on them it was the best bang for the buck. Maybe down the road I'll buy the spherical upgrade.

I also installed extended Stainless Steel Break lines Front & Rear as well as Toyotec U-Bolt flip kit and OME Carrier bearing drop kit (may take this off, not sure).
Here's a picture the day I got the lift done. The front O.E mud flaps were also trimmed about 4" or so.

iPhone04-20-20141276.png
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm currently not running any bump stops as I don't know whichones I want. Up front I have the OEM sway bar spacer.
Contemplating removing my front sway bar altogether (not sure if this will make the truck wonder on the highway..? any impute would be much appreciated).

Next Tires, I LOVE the Tall & Skinny look (Can't you tell from my face) on most Toyota's I think it goes with the lines and heritage/tradition of Toyota 4WD's. this statement may just be me B.S'ing...!!! LOL..!! do to the fact I like Tall & Skinny tires.

iPhone04-20-2014983.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So I'm currently running BF Goodrich KM2 size 255/85 R16.
I haven't hit the dirt with them yet mostly on road use for right now.
I'll report back when she hits the trails...!!!

Haven't run a true M/T in a long time, my last rig (Land Cruiser FZJ-80) had A/T's.
I'm not sure how I feel about them, it's a love & hate relationship as of right now.

I LOVE the fact that they are almost 34” tall and that they look the part.
I HATE their road manners, they don't want to balance (I've tried like 3 shops) so they shake a bit at 69-72 MPH obviously loud on the road as they are an M/T so I have to live with that.

I think I may go back to an A/T maybe Toyo MT55 or Copper ST in the same size 255/85 R16. Not sure, maybe a BF Goodrich A/T K/O but can't get this size. (FTML…!!!) why isn't it offered in this size...?!?!?!?!?!

06/12/204 Up Date: Now Running 285/75 R16 BF Goodrich KO/TA's. See up date on Page: 3.

Next was the ARB Bull Bar / bumper I had bought this when I bought the OME kit.
But man this thing had me back and forth I hated the fact that I needed to cut the O.E. bumper cover and that it stuck out farther than on the 2005-2011 Tacoma's.

At one point I had it up for sale and was going to get the older style bar and make it fit. But….
One glorious Sunday morning (5:00 am) I was feeding my son (he was 3 months old at the time) and I started to read the instructions.

Proud father picture...!!!

Taco2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

that led to saying.... “F@#K it I'm puttingthis bad boy on”

So finished feeding the boy, told the wife Mi Vida, Gabriel “Future F1 World Champion” is taking a nap in his crib.
I'll be in the garage instating the bull bar.

She laughed and said WOW...!!! you finally made up your mind ok babe, be safe. So on to the install, it's pretty straight forward only problem I had was holding the bar up to drill the bolts that lock it to the frame of the truck. Later that week I took it to the shop and had them drill these in as well as hook up ARB fog lights/blinkers.

ARBTaco1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think it came out amazing…!!!

It really suits the truck, plus its only 7” farther out than the stock bumper not much if you think aboutit.
These truck are like French bulldogs in my eye's so the extra 7” don't killthe lines, if anything they make them better IMHO.

Taco9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's the most resent picture with the ARB Fog lights/blinkers hooked up and the sliders welded up. That Killer 4Runner is owned by my buddy Jonathan he owns a local shop here in Miami, Florida called Auto Bruder 4WD Store. If you ever in the area stop by, its crazy almost like a miniature Wal-Mart filled with 4wd parts & accessories mostly geared to Toyota witch is a plus..!!

iPhone04-20-20141367.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Next was the rock Sliders bought them form Tacoma World member "bwamukubwa" he gave me an awesome deal, thank you brother. they are manufactured by Avid Off-Road and have a nice kick out at the rear plus they are weld on "RRRRR Hard Core ROCK BALLER STYLE. ********...!!! Only picture I have right now. I'll do a nice photo shoot later on.

iPhone04-20-20141314.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

iPhone04-20-20141364.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I also, got from another Tacoma World member "bullaculla" the rear trailer harness relocation bracket. This thing is super bad ***, love it. Thank you brother...!!

iPhone04-20-20141170.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Recently I found this old "TEQ" grill badge I bought from a member on expedition portal "woytovich" back in the day. I wanted to run it on my FZJ-80 but never got around to installing it. Here's a picture, not sure if I love it trying it out as it just fits in the honeycomb gill of the Taco's without damaging it.

Taco13.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

a few other mods in the works, I got the parts to do the rear differential breather mod, I'll try and tackle this ASAP. Also need to put in the bed extender I got when I bought the truck.
Sales guy gave it to me as I was his bonus customer for the month.

In the far far far future plans are rear tire carrier/bumper roof rack, lights winch and who know I think your never done moding any car/truck. Thanks for checking out my thread...!!

Most recent picture:

2016-10-02-PHOTO-00000595.jpg

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Agree 100% with enzo. Looks fantastic! I have to admit my love/hate relationship with my mud terrains. There are definitely pros and cons...to both extremes.

I'm looking forward to rest of the build out. Congrats on the baby and very understanding wife ;)

I was just in Miami...I wish I had known about your buddies shop.

mouse007

Explorer
Agree 100% with enzo. Looks fantastic! I have to admit my love/hate relationship with my mud terrains. There are definitely pros and cons...to both extremes.

I'm looking forward to rest of the build out. Congrats on the baby and very understanding wife ;)

I was just in Miami...I wish I had known about your buddies shop.

Thank you Colonal Angus...!!! It truly is with most M/T's, BFG is owned by Michelin I submitted a claim waiting to hear back from them. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.
Let me know next time your in Miami maybe we can grab a beer, If it's on a Thursday theirs a nice 4x4 meet we can go to.

overactor

Observer
Nice looking build! I love the tall skinny's. I have an mgm 2012 and have been still tossing around the idea of lifting her stock tires will need to be replaced in a few months so i suppose a decision should be made.

mouse007

Explorer
Look Ma No Sway-bar...!!!!

So, after a lot of reading and a few P.M.'s I decide to remove my sway-bar. Honestly, its hands down one of my favorite modifications. The Taco feels 100% smother and odiously more flexible up front. Running the 866 OME's and the 10ply side walls help keep the Taco nice and stable in the highway.

Here are a few pictures.

taco15.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

taco17.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

taco18.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mouse007

Explorer
Lazy Springs Off Road Park.

Sunday Fun Day...!!!

Lazy Springs Off Road Park.
It's located in Felda, Florida near Fort Myers. Had a blast, wheeling with a few buddies here's a few pictures of the aftermath.
The taco did phenomenal.

lazzy1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo4-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo1-2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

lazzy2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

lazzy3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forum statistics