MTR or KM2

tacollie

Glamper
I ran 2 sets of the old MTRs for a combined 30K. They wore horrible. I have heard the kevlars wear a lot better.

nobodyspecial

Observer
I am currently running MTRs right now and it will be the last set I ever own. Terrible wear and weak sidewalls.

Next set I will be going with KM2s
Thats good to here, as I was considering the MT/Rs but right now I have 5 255/85/16 KM2s sitting in my garage waiting for the new wheels to get here.

Joe's Toy

Observer
Time to show off.

DSCF0463.jpg

Ok, so I haven't ran the MTR but the KM2s are the stuff! No troubles so far and they look amazing!! That's all that counts.

maximumrob

Adventurer
I've wheeled rocks with both MTR's and original BFG MT KM's. Both experienced considerable chunking under my foot which tells me it's the rocks not the tire.

Rockhounds LOVE the MTR's...you can't deny it. They ride hard and make some noise, but if rocks are your game, the sidewall is up to snuff compared to others.

I have KM's now on my Rubicon and hold my breath every time the sidewall rolls over itself. The MTR's were pounded on, lasted 37,000 miles, and I got rid of them well before they were unsafe on wet roads. I'd drive MTR's again if they suited my needs.

aheiser

Observer
Nice looking rig!

This is tough. I have to admit, one small thing I like is that on the BFG's I can choose a black sidewall. Looks like with the MTR, in 285/75 I'm definitely stuck with the white letters out or running the tire reversed. This may not be a big issue, but obviously they designed the tire a certain way.

theksmith

Explorer
one other thing i can say, not sure if it's the properties of the KM2 or the particular wheels i have but the other day i sheared off a valve stem on a rock crawl / hill climb and lost all air and wasn't were i could change the tire so i had to climb the rest of the hill/rocks with absolutely 0 PSI in one tire and not only did i make it to the top eventually, but it never broke the bead nor tore the sidewall at all... now that's a tough tire i think.

Joe's Toy

Observer
as long as you enjoy i!!! i had a 2wd jeep for a little wile and it served its purpose but now im a toyota guy...:victory:

Amen. Haha, the 2wd gives you more challenge i suppose. I purchased the 4runner to have 4x4. Love being able to beat on that old thing. :bike_rider:

01tundra

Explorer
I wouldn't trade four sets of MT/R's w/ Kevlar for my KM2's. I hated those d*mn tires.....KM2's blow them away in all aspects on & off road on my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1