Must Have 12v Accessories

nietz79

I'm in phase 1ish of my rig build ('19 Colorado ZR2). I just put the RSI Smartcap on and wired a 12v hookup at the back (see picture). Right now, it's pulling from the truck battery but eventually, I want a separate solar-powered battery for all my off-grid power needs.

ANYWAY - now that I have power in the back, I'm looking for ANY / ALL "must have" 12v power accessories. The only purchase I have on zeeee list is this guy:

WHAT SAY YE?
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 7.32.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 7.32.26 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 88

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
hi power USB hub for charging gadgets?

I have a fantastic fan 12V box fan which has been nice sometimes as a poor man's AC - if it's hot and dry I can sit in front of it with my Kindle and mist myself from time to time with a spritzer bottle of water :p

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Must have:
- multiple USB ports.
- couple of 12V cigar plug receptacles.
- 12V LED lights.
- 12V fans - one that moves a lot of air and one that sips power.

For the rest it depends on when/where/how long you are going to be out, and personal preferences. I am traveling for 4 - 8 weeks at a time with 1 - 3 week dispersed camping. So my 'must have' is a compressor refrigerator.
For winter camping a non-humidity producing heater (furnace).
For house batteries an amp counting battery montitor.

P.S. - I have a 500W Bestek PSW inverter. It goes into overload at 380W, so test yours out before the return window closes.

krick3tt

Adventurer
!2V heated blanket and a Jackery power box. You can use the blanket from your truck outlet or the Jackery and recharge the Jackery from a solar panel or your outlet in the truck as you drive. Great for portable power and has lots of outlets for different power.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Apart from a 12/24v Fridge and possibly a 12v electric blanket in Colder climates none of this other stuff I would not call "Must Have" items, most of them are more of a case of want than need,

1) A Fridge.
2) A good Compressor and puncture repair kit,
3) A 12v spares and repair kit,
4) A spare Battery system,
5) A reliable Solar System
6) A backup Folding Solar Panel
7) A good lighting system for around Camp.

Those are what I would class as must have Items not all the Gucci Glamping extras that are "Want" Items that just take up extra space and add weight and is just another thing to find a place to store them, If a person is going to pack their Home contents in to a Van or Trailer then they might as well stay home or Camp in their Yard.

VanWaLife

I use my Milwaukee electric tools pretty extensively when out in the truck (lights, bluetooth speaker, powering/charging usb devices, chainsaw, water pump, inflator, vacuum), so for me one of these is critical:

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have this one and it is great. Use it when off-roading to have a hot meal when we camp rather than wait for cooking.

roving1

12v or USB fan. For the obvious reasons, but also these two.

I sometimes just really really need white noise to fall asleep.

To get through the mosquito hour and not coat your self in bug spray just set the fan up to blow across your head. It's great to see the little buggers try to fly at your face and then be swept away by the blowing fan and not have to go to bed coated in bug spray.

chet6.7

Explorer
I have the Road Pro lunch box stove as well, I have only used it once as a test, it worked well for canned chili.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1