My 89 build

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I wasn't dissing...remember my 90 had 12.5"s. I just think with the narrow body, the 10.5"s look more refined (pauses to take a sip of brandy :sombrero:).

I will have to do more research on the torque converter. This is the first I have heard of it.

Don't worry, I know you weren't. My comment was in jest. As for the TC, you can find out more about it on the other forum we're both members on.:smiley_drive:

Dolomiti

Adventurer
That's a great looking, classic truck. I can't wait to see this out on more trips.

Thanks for the compliment. You have (one of the) finest looking generation 3s out there.

I am heading to Big Bend in December. Will update with pics.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nope, but it is a 10.5, not a 12.5. I posted in your thread too.:coffee:

Fangars,

In my experience, if you want to carry a 33x12.5 on an 8" rim with 3.75" of backspacing then you need to add 3-4 washers (approx 3/8-1/2") to move the rim away from the body so it won't rub. A very minor 'modification' if you can even call it that.:ylsmoke:

pint

Adventurer
Damn, the more I look at this thread, the more I think I NEED a Montero! Again, fine build you have going.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Damn, the more I look at this thread, the more I think I NEED a Montero! Again, fine build you have going.

Thanks. I still have a ways to go, but am not in a big rush as it is no longer on DD duty. It is going to (hopefully) cart me, my wife, and son around South America on a 1 year trip in about 5 years.

fangars

Adventurer
What exactly did you get when you say you put OME supsension on your truck?
Where did you get the suspension and how much?

Dolomiti

Adventurer
What exactly did you get when you say you put OME supsension on your truck?
Where did you get the suspension and how much?

Old Man Emu. You can get them through ARB USA. I was going to get them through Rocky Road Outfitters after talking to the very helpful president (Gary I think?) but when I called to order some employee decided to argue with me to try to prove some kind of a point, then said that the president was stupid and didn't know what he was talking about. Needless to say, I didn't buy through them and went through 4x4 parts.

I think it was about $600 for the two rear coils and 4 shocks. The rear coils are about the same as Gen II coils, which can be had for dirt cheap. The shocks are nice and allow greater travel, but there might be a substitute for cheaper.

The OME gave me about 2 inches in the rear. You can crank the front torsion bars in the front to match, but I like the higher rear and anticipate having a trailer and gear to bring it down at times. I hate sag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1