My Build Has Begun

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I ordered some ExPo stickers and Scott sent me an OJ care package with some really neat decals as well.
Let the Jones'n commence...

Good luck, Stump. It'll get much better (once Meg can drink again...) soon. :sombrero:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Is the stoke palpable enough for everyone? :wings:

IMG9550831.jpg

IMG9525991.jpg

stankfoot

Adventurer
cant wait to see the video of this one. looks great. cant wait to get the full report after delivery and you get to break it in.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Stoke-kill.

Not a game-ender, but when Chris called at 3:40 to tell me the trailer was done and he was on his way to pick it up, we started going over things.
I asked about the awning and there was a silence; he asked his builder about it and that guy said it never showed up. :Wow1:
So I tried to get a hold of Martyn to check on it and still haven't heard back.

So it looks like I'll be awningless for a while.

EDIT: the awning was delivered yesterday according to what Fiamma is telling Martyn and the LG shop spaced the install.
Hope Chris is able to get it on in time.

EDIT to the Edit: Chris went back to the shop, found the awning, and is having a tech install it today.
Much relieved.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Kudos to Martyn for being there to help Chris on the phone with the awning install. It turned out to be the wrong awning, one without legs; it's a self-supporting unit.
It should still work though.
And kudos to Chris for the hail Mary late work to install it.

And the trailer looks very very nice; didn't get any inside pics but the exterior looks spiffy.

Couple of errors though and I don't know if I will be able to accept it as is.

We discussed and I specified that the batteries be in back, inside, and secure.
They're mounted on the tongue instead --- two Optimas, the biggest and most expensive in the Optima line-up.
IMG01087-20110319-1054.jpg

IMG01078-20110319-1046.jpg

I requested flush-mount tail lights, something tighter to the trailer body that won't snag on branches. Their Rough Rider has the tails in the hatch.
I know these are going to get smashed.
IMG01086-20110319-1053.jpg

I'm not sure if they just forgot to mount the propane tank, but it's not there. I asked for a 20 pounder if it would fit.
IMG01082-20110319-1049.jpg

IMG01080-20110319-1048.jpg

IMG01083-20110319-1049.jpg

It just seems like this all got sprung on me at the last minute. He's on his way here tomorrow with no time to correct the errors.
I feel like I'm painted into a corner --- a bit trapped by the circumstances.

Buzz kill.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Hey Mr. Buzz-killington,
I know your not look forward to having to work on it, but it sounds like the only thing that would take much work are the tail lights. And even those could be made workable in their existing location with a stout cover/case through bolted to the wall. I know it's not what you expected/wanted, but do you think it will bother you long term? Seems like he's working with you pretty well on most of the logistics and other parts? Did you buy the propane tank to put in there?

Don

-

d110pickup

SE Expedition Society
Seems like some important details to get "wrong". I'd put off delivery until it's as contracted. Especially the batteries and tail lights.
Good luck,
Mike

pods8

Explorer
It just seems like this all got sprung on me at the last minute. He's on his way here tomorrow with no time to correct the errors.
I feel like I'm painted into a corner --- a bit trapped by the circumstances.

Buzz kill.

No idea what your working relationship is but assuming only based on your side of the story that you requested these items (and were clear on them), I wouldn't be allowing yourself to be painted into a corner for a delivery you're not happy with. Perhaps he got the wrong impression that delivery was the all important target rather than 100% conformance? I just feel you're looking for a lot longer road of correcting issues if you accept delivery (manufactures aren't as motivated to fix issues or refund money once they've been paid and turned over title)... or you just need to accept the fact you'll need to address them yourself.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
He emailed me that they built a "box" for the propane tank; I have a spare 20 pounder here. If that's what will fit, then no problem.

But the batteries vex me. He says he doesn't remember the conversation and that it's not in his notes.
But we did talk about it. Even went so far to discuss whether the battery placement along with fridge and propane would allow a water tank below the sink; at that point he told me that they had different sizes for the water tank.
I would've gladly given up the sink for the batteries to be in the rear and secure.
A built-in sink was a luxury to me; I've gone 40 years without a sink and never missed it.
But I've always locked up my batteries while I was away.

Security-wise, they could be put in a box on the tongue and locked. But they'll still be on the tongue and heavy.
My Jeep is already getting heavy and doesn't need the front to be any lighter when towing offroad.
Chris is much more accustomed to other types of vehicles as the tow pig and didn't really consider the problem. Short wheelbase Wranglers don't like tongue weight.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
He didn't use the Max Coupler to bring it home; wonder if the wiring is long enough to reach my bumper.
The Max adds length too.

IMG01087-20110319-1054.jpg

willyswagon

Adventurer
What Optimas did you go with Bill?

I'm just buiding a set up for the CDN M101 and I'm torn between going with a Deep cycle to run the fridge, or a starting battery that I can use to jump start the Jeep if needed.

I hope you can get you trailer problems sorted out.
It is maddening when you are waiting for your custom build to show, and you know it is not as you requested.

Those issues will vex you as long as you have it.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What Optimas did you go with Bill?

I'm just buiding a set up for the CDN M101 and I'm torn between going with a Deep cycle to run the fridge, or a starting battery that I can use to jump start the Jeep if needed.
You can jump the Jeep from the Blue-tops; they're the same inside as the Yellow-tops except for the 34M (which is like a Red-top for boats).
I bought D31Ms, the big boys.

You can always contact OptimaJim if you need help picking a battery.

captblack

SE Expedition Society
I remember when you first talked about this build and it sure seemed you had thought of everything and I can feel your frustration about how it is working out. One of the big pitches they do in their video is talk about the battery storage in the back. It almost seems like the batteries were added as an afterthought. I'm sure you have fired off emails and will be on the phone with him first thing in the morning.

For the pigtail, there may be a bunch tied up under the boxes - that's how my JJ was. I think that cable was 6' long or so.

Overall, trailer looks great and I can't wait to see it. I could keep the checkbook locked up until they get it right - I'm sure you are paying extra for the custom builds. Bet you don't sleep much tonight ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp