My LR3 lightweight storage platform build (UPDATED: actual dimensions on pg 4)

Ray_G

Explorer
I have often thought about using that space for something productive rather than just a rat hole. To my knowledge no one makes anything for that space.

A molded plastic water tank would be a sweet thing to put there if someone produced it.

Ilatak

The rear piece is very light weight since it is aluminium and I would say no more than 20 pounds. 50 pounds total is probably would be in a bulk part

perkj

Explorer
Having used my platform for over a year now I decided to make a significant change to it. The one gripe I've had over the past year of using it is the center support that splits the bottom portion into two sections. This restricts what can be placed under there as whatever it is you want to place down there can be no wider than the split the support makes. I had included this center support thinking it would be required to hold the weight of the fridge and I also had thoughts of potentially building 2 drawers into the frame. After having been frustrated one too many times with the restrictions this center support imposed, I decided to order up additional square tubing from eztube.com to eliminate the center support. The pictures below show the results and I must say I'm thrilled with the outcome! As you'll see, on the top section I replaced the existing cross bars and center support with full length cross bars. I also eliminated the single bottom cross bar completely. With this changes in place the platform has no issue supporting my entire body weight with zero flex in any of the full width cross bars. Keep in mind that all joints which I used are the steel core joints and not the plastic only joints. I want to point this out as the plastic only joints may not be able to support the platform without the center support section with significant weight like the steel core ones are with my set up. I also included an update of the dimensions for the new design.

New frame design:
IMG_5100.JPG

Underneath showing frame with platform on:
IMG_5104.JPG

Showing new opening:
IMG_5102.JPG

Here are the updated specs/dimensions. Please note, all measurements are post cut meaning these measurements are what they need to be after you make the cut, i.e. account for the saw blade width.:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here is a shot in the middle of removing the center section:
IMG_5099.JPG

Last edited:

DiscoCO

Observer
Looks awesome! I followed your original design and I've loved it, but this one is even better! Now I have a new project!

One question I have for you - do you have the plywood attached to the crossmember closest to the second row seats? I didn't end up having enough plywood to grab as the angle of that second row didn't allow enough space. I'm considering shortening those 16 1/4" side supports to bring that forward-most crossmember further back under the plywood. Just curious what you did.

Thanks again!

perkj

Explorer
Looks awesome! I followed your original design and I've loved it, but this one is even better! Now I have a new project!

One question I have for you - do you have the plywood attached to the crossmember closest to the second row seats? I didn't end up having enough plywood to grab as the angle of that second row didn't allow enough space. I'm considering shortening those 16 1/4" side supports to bring that forward-most crossmember further back under the plywood. Just curious what you did.
Thanks again!

The plywood is attached to all 3 cross members, including the one closest to the second row. I'm using 1/2" plywood (Russian Birch - light weight and strong) as opposed to 3/4". I was able to have just enough room to bolt it down with the elevator bolts (http://www.mcmaster.com/#92221a287/=zu5zqv) , though I did have to cut the top circle on the elevator bolts into a half moons for those ones. I can take a picture this evening to show you in more detail. Though with my new design and the elimination of the bottom cross member, you can easily shorten the sides to make it easier and not have to worry about that bottom cross member interfering with anything. I had mine pushed as far back as possible because I wanted that lower cross member as far back as possible...the new design takes this out of the equation completely now.

Last edited:

doodaman

Hi, this is a perfect solution for my needs - mainly in raising my dogs cage and giving me more storage space. Thank you.

I am in the UK and we have various different suppliers for the aluminium box tubing. I have looked at the eztube website and can't see how thick the aluminium is. Here we have 1.2mm and 1.5mm. Would the 1.2mm be strong enough. It will also be used as a sleeping platform in time to come. (I'm 220lbs)

TravelinLight

Observer
Out of curiosity how do the materials hold up to off road use? How many trips under belt and how do you explore? Very interesting approach to the problem.

perkj

Explorer
Materials have held up great. Have well over a dozen off-road trips with the platform with the fridge sitting on it and only a hand full with the fridge now moved to the new location. The platform with the fridge weight plus gear was able to handle all the offroading bumps, ruts and rocks that were thrown at it. I've been able to box jump onto the platform many time with it out of the car (both with the old center support and now without it there) and it has shown no signs of movement in any of the joints. Its really rock solid with those steel core joints.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I was researching aluminum platforms and came across this thread in a google search. I should have looked here in the first place, haha. Your original design alleviated my fear that the modular construction would not be strong enough, but your recent removal of the center support really gives me confidence that the supports are strong. I am guessing you don't sleep two people on the revised platform, do you?

I originally wanted a really light design utilizing drawers, but I came to the realization that drawers, drawer slides and the necessary hardware to make it durable will essentially double the materials and weight.

perkj

Explorer
I was researching aluminum platforms and came across this thread in a google search. I should have looked here in the first place, haha. Your original design alleviated my fear that the modular construction would not be strong enough, but your recent removal of the center support really gives me confidence that the supports are strong. I am guessing you don't sleep two people on the revised platform, do you?

I originally wanted a really light design utilizing drawers, but I came to the realization that drawers, drawer slides and the necessary hardware to make it durable will essentially double the materials and weight.

I've had 3 guys standing on the revised platform with no issue or deflection in any of the aluminum bars - ~145 lbs, ~165 lbs and ~185 lbs totaling ~495 lbs. I would have full confidence with 2 people sleeping the platform....though my particular platform isn't long enough front to back to sleep on unless the two people were under ~41" ;)

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply, I am certainly impressed the material can hold up to the load of 2+ people. I may end up deleting the middle support as well...

perkj

Explorer
Thanks for the reply, I am certainly impressed the material can hold up to the load of 2+ people. I may end up deleting the middle support as well...

Note that all my connecters are steel core and the all plastic option ones may not hold up to what I've stated above

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1