My M101cdn Build

hollaback55

Explorer
Hello all,

I started this build with the intention to sell my M101CDN trailer after having a top fabricated for it. In the end, the extra work put in by the fabricator and the associated cost made selling it unwise. I could not be happier with the result as this is a top notch trailer and I'm super excited to start using it this fall.

Ok so the details:

the top weighs about 125 lbs complete and isIMAG0075.jpgIMAG0077.jpg able to hold around 1000 lbs safety static load and about 200 lbs dynamic load (this is more to do with the rack mount than the actual lid).

the lid will be completely waterproof and is sealed using the same automotive bulb seal Adventure trailers uses to seal their chaser and horizon models. It also will have a drip edge extended down to further enhance the sealing of the lid to the tub.

the rack mount consists of thule TB 60 tracks. they are currently not installed yet but can be free of charge. they will be set in a custom 1" tubular rail running on the underside of the trailer top and x braced for support

the lid will also come with custom stainless steel AGS gas springs that are tunable, you can decrease the pressure inside to suit your needs, currently they are set at 990 nm of force or about 220lbs each.

stainless steel hinges (3) are being installed on the passenger side as is with adventure trailers

stainless steel draw latches (2) that are pad lockable are being installed on the other side.

Lined interior, fenders, front nose face

Re-wired for 12 volt operation with 4 pin plug

Functional hand parking brake intact with the cables and lines lubed for ease of operation.

Original M101cdn tarp cover is included with the sale

Original style Tires in excellent condition - no cracks or dry rot of loss of air pressureIMAG0146.jpgIMAG0075.jpgIMAG0077.jpgIMAG0147.jpg

hollaback55

Explorer
trailer top construction

the trailer top is made completely of aluminum. we used 1" sq. stock for the base and the frame. we wanted to keep it as light as possible while having the strength and support for a 1000lb load.

the aluminum skin is 1/8" thick

all corners and connections were beveled for strength

completed tig welded

i had a drawing schematic from i8mud forum on the trailer top which i followed. basically mirrors the m101cdn tub

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 112
  • photo 8.JPG
    photo 8.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 108
  • photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 116
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 88
  • photo 9.JPG
    photo 9.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 93
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 86
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 81
  • trailer top 2.JPG
    trailer top 2.JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 114
  • trailer top 3.JPG
    trailer top 3.JPG
    462.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

hollaback55

Explorer
got the tent mounted up this weekend, the niece and nephew really seemed to enjoy it alot. in the process of letting it air out which meant taking out the mattress and giving it a thorough cleaning. the tent is in amazing shape for being 5 years old. hardly has any use on it and it looks brand new minus an eyelet for the window on one side. sprayed it with Fabric Guard 303 to give it some of it's water resistance back.

next week i'll hopefully start the re-wire process. going to a 7 pin with electric brakes and controller. other items that came in this week are the marker lights for the trailer frame, license plate bracket/light combo (all LED to match the jeep), new 7 pin wiring harness. still debating if i want to go with a new 3500lb electric braked axle from dexter or a custom trailing arm setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64

voodoojk

Adventurer
did you build the top or did a fab shop do it? and how much did it end up costing if you dont mind me asking? ( the top that is)

hollaback55

Explorer
i had a fab guy i've used in the past build the top. he does top notch work and i really needed this to seal properly and be able to support some weight without having any issues. i could have went a cheaper route and took it to a fab shop but i liked the fact that my fab guy works alone and really puts his time and effort into all the pieces he builds. he ended up doing just as much research as i did in preparing to build this piece and getting it to support the right load in the lightest fashion possible.

the time consuming and thus expensive part of the construction is getting the welds right. during construction we had a welding inspector come in 2 different times to check and verify everything. working with aluminum can be a bit tricky so it was better to err on the safe side.

the pictures dont really do the top justice, you have to see it in person to get a real feel for all the details and touches the fabricator added. it truly is a work of art.

the top cost me more going this route but it was worth it in my opinion. i'm planning on a 3 mth excursion out west and for a few dollars more i'd rather be safe and secure in my equipment than have a problem out in Moab. i got prices from 1200 to 2 grand from different shops around the nyc area to build this. i ended up spending a bit more than 2k for the top including locks, hinges, grab bar, tracks, gas springs, bolts, ect.

hollaback55

Explorer
new updates on the trailer

newest updates on the trailer build. its been a slow process and i've spent the better part of the past 2 mths snowboarding most weekends up in vt.

so far we have the entire front a-frame section removed and replaced with a chaser style unit hand fab out of 2"x3" tub stock. there will be an integrated skid plate on the bottom. the water tank was mounted in a custom housing for it with rubber seals along contact points for vibration and abrasion resistance. the jerry cans will sit in front of them and then the AT nose box will go in place in front of that.

Sierra 4x4 supplied the fenders which were widened 1" on each side for better tire clearance with the 37" KM2's that are going in place. Steps will be custom built out of 3/4" tube stock radius bent with 1/8" thick diamond plate for the surface area.

the idea is for everything to bolt on and off in case we ever need to make repairs and have a piece replaced. Hopefully the Jerry Cans and Fenders will be mounted up next week along with the skid plate and nose box.

Attachments

• IMG_0678.JPG
    IMG_0678.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    251.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 32

hollaback55

Explorer
got the jig redone for the radius bends on the square tube.

base anchored in at 4 points (2 to the fender, 2 to the frame)

Attachments

• diamond plate.JPG
    diamond plate.JPG
    406.7 KB · Views: 20
  • fender steps.JPG
    fender steps.JPG
    378.8 KB · Views: 23

hollaback55

Explorer
a few updates

so its starting to look more like a AT chaser now.

the new front frame section is bolted to the body at 6 locations (3 per side) with grade 8 hardware. this makes it removable from the tub body if I ever need to. We used 2x3 steel box tube for the frame section and its pretty stout. All welds were beveled in for strength. the Skid plate for the front frame section extends back under the trailer tub and is 3/16" steel plate. We fab in drain holes to the skid plate and made a lock and slide for the drain on the water tank.

Attachments

• trailer tongue 1.JPG
    trailer tongue 1.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 23
  • water tank.JPG
    water tank.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0724.jpg
    IMG_0724.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 24

hollaback55

Explorer
parts coming back from the painter

getting some parts back from the painter. he will be having the tub back by the end of this week hopefully. Struts for the lid are on and working perfectly, no more 2x4 to hold this thing open. Martyn at AT has been awesome regarding help and support for what products i should be using and how to install them properly. top notch guy in my book and willing to help with my build anytime i needed. Now I cant wait to put the globetrotter on this thing and head out in the woods.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    484.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

brentbba

Explorer
Nice build. I too wanted to go aluminum on the lid that mirrored the tub, but as you found out, just way to expensive for my budget. Steel fab'ed like the Chaser and Horizon in two pieces bolted down the center for less than half the cost of your lid. Obviously it weighs more being steel.

Love what you've done with the tongue. Look forward to more updates!!

hollaback55

Explorer
lid

agreed on the lid 100%. it was expensive to do in aluminum but the payoff was a lid that weighs 94 lbs; we weighed it the other day. Being that the trailer came with the jeep when i bought it i was able to spend a bit more on customizing it with the aluminum instead of steel. the color for the jeep and trailer is a custom color done by the AEV tech who built the jeep. It is what Chrysler used to create their Sahara Tan (at least that what i was told) and after seeing both in person it is pretty damn close.

picking the finished trailer up Saturday morning, cant wait to have it all done and head out to the Catskills for a test run. will post pictures this weekend most likely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal