My New Project - 2013 Tacoma 4cyl

SunFlower

Adventurer
I recently picked up a new ride. Its a 2013 Tacoma 4x4 with a 4cyl engine and automatic trans. I just put a Besttop on it and will be doing tires next if I can find some money.

005a.jpg

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Looks great! You might consider using it as it is. It costs a lot to make changes, and the Tacos are already plenty capable for most uses.

SunFlower

Adventurer
Looks great! You might consider using it as it is. It costs a lot to make changes, and the Tacos are already plenty capable for most uses.

I agree. I think new tires is about all I am going to do. I am much more about the adventure than the hardware. I am trying to find out if I have a locking rear on this truck though.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
It didn't come from the factory with a differential locker. For 2013, the rear E-locker was only available with the TRD off-road package (only available in access cab and double cab with the V6).

You do have an automatic limited slip differential (auto LSD), however, and active traction control (A-TRAC). Those are tough to beat. A-TRAC often delivers better traction than a true differential locker in one axle.

To learn more about your truck, you can view the product brochure here (on right, below the color chart. Click on a brochure year and then on the red "view" button just below:

http://www.toyotareference.com/tacoma

Paddy

Adventurer
Reg cabs don't get Atrac only trac which kinda sucks. You gotta spin the crap out of a tire to get it working, but it could get you out in a pinch. I put a Truetrac rear differential in and it really helps the truck hugely in every day use, as well as on trail. Only 420$ but does require full reset of gears. Get an intermittent wiper stalk, and be careful with your rear bumper, they suck.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
In the 2013 brochure, it's showing A-TRAC and LSDs standard across the board for all configurations. I was surprised--and impressed!

burt

Observer
2012 doesn't get atrac in that configuration for sure. The LSD does about nothing too. I really haven't been able to tell it isn't open diff on mine. On the up side you get the stronger 8.4 rear end that with an arb will be much tougher than the elocker in the 8". If it has stock tires I'd ditch those immediately if you are going anywhere but the mall. Thanks guys that suggested the intermittent wiper stalk upgrade. I was amazed mine didn't come with that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1