My new trailer?

yyexpeditionyy

So I picked this Army surplus 1 1/2 ton ammo trailer for pretty cheep. My hopes were to make it into a general purpose and camping/trail trailer. Unfortunately after looking around I'm starting to think that this thing may be a bit to heavy. I plan to tow it behind my 95 full size Bronco and eventually my 89 YJ once I get ride of the 4 banger. I have yet to pick it up but they listed the approximate weight at 2800 ponds which i find hard to believe. Let me know what you guys think? And if you have any ideas to cut weight well any thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=2808014

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 105
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 101
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 76

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Get the torch out. Looks like every thing needs to go but the box and half the frame. Cut that huge tounge and all it's bs off and the massive suspension out from under it and you would loose more that half it's weight. I would remove the box and maybe the toungue box, sell the frame to a farmer or some one that has a use for a heavy trailer. I'd probally also get a title for it the way it is, to save headaches in the department. Then sell it as offroad or farm use only. Then you can make a new frame for your trailer that's more suitable for your use. A 2x3 3/16" wall frame would be more suitable.

Last edited:

Ireland

Adventurer
Thats a great trailer in super condition, just a shame its soo heavy, if you did manage to shave even half the weight of it I think it will still be too heavy for your yj .
It might be OK for the bronco as a base camp trailer but a bit of a pig on the trails.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
That is an excellent trailer which looks to be in great condition. Sell it as-is, recoup your money and build from scratch. For the headache you'll have in hacking that up, may as well start from scratch. That is every bit of what it states on the shipping weight. Military trailers are heavy. I regularly pull with my LJ Rubicon which is rated at 3500 lbs. TJ's, YJ's, etc. are only rated at pulling 2000 lbs. though. You need something MUCH smaller than that to pull, regardless of what engine you have in it. Great trailer for sure, just way too big/heavy for your YJ.

Best of Luck,

Mike

tommudd

Explorer
I went and looked at one of these a while back, thinking I could cut it up to lose some weight. Upon closer inspection I found that even using the box was over kill for what I wanted and needed. These are super heavy duty and well built but too heavy for what 98% of us need. IMO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1