Need help please. I know nothing about jeeps.

anw7405

Observer
My friends husband was in the military and recently died. She inherited his jeep rubicon. She asked me how to put the spare tire on and I don't know how. I know nothing about jeeps. It has an aftermarket rear bumper on it and something that says poison spyder where the carrier is. Please give me some options on how to mount this for her. Thanks in advance. The tire is 34.5". (315/70/17)

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 53

kingg5

Adventurer
need to remove the posion spider thing and get a factory spare tire mount. looking at the tires tho...if they are 33" or bigger the factory mount will not work, so will need to invest in a tire swing mount that will mount to the rear bumper.

anw7405

Observer
That's what I figured. He probably didn't want to mount the 34.5" tire to the factory mount, or it didn't fit anymore. Any recommendations on a good swing mount? Is that what the 4 holes in the bumper are for?

IKE2013

Observer
Well, you have 2 options.

1. Remove the tailgate poison spyder cover. Mount the factory spare tire carrier on the tailgate and relocate the license plate.

View attachment 211329

2. Buy a rear Poison Spyder tire carrier for the bumper, I would contact poison spyder for the exact fitment. You will still need to relocate the plate, although the cover can stay on.

Also advertise on a local Jeep club or craigslist to offer a swap of your bumper, tailgate cover and license plate plug for a factory set up. They are guys out there who would do the work for parts. You can run a 315 on the factory tire carrier, I do as do many others.

Septu

Explorer
No, a swing mount for JKs is (typically) a pillar type that comes through the top of the bumper off of the passenger side frame rail.

IF she's just selling it, a stock tire carrier will work. She may need an extension to push the tire out a tad. People say the tire is too big/heavy etc (which is why people get after market carriers). If you're not wheeling, then it's not a huge issue. But if she wants to do it right, then the easiest way would be something like the Teraflex tire carrier. It replaces the tailgate hinges so that the weight of the tire is on the body, not the gate/hinges. This is fairly cheap too (~$500).

anw7405

Observer
Thanks for the quick advice. We ordered the teraflex hd tire carrier. (the $220 one) thanks again everybody.

Septu

Explorer
Thanks for the quick advice. We ordered the teraflex hd tire carrier. (the $220 one) thanks again everybody.

You're aware that that is only the part that mounts onto the tailgate, and that it still puts the weight of the tire on the stock hinges? This isn't the end of the world - depending on how you use your jeep. But if you're going to wheel it, or regularly take it down crappy bumpy roads, you may want to consider getting their actual carrier. That's also all depending on how heavy the tires are. If you have light 33" tires, I wouldn't be worried about it.

anw7405

Observer
I talked to her and she is never planning on wheeling it. I figured it would secure a 34.5" tire pretty well around town.

Septu

Explorer
I talked to her and she is never planning on wheeling it. I figured it would secure a 34.5" tire pretty well around town.

Yeah, you shouldn't have any issues with that around town. I've been packing my heavy 33x13.5 on my stock carrier for about a year and 14k miles with no issues.

voodoojk

Adventurer
need to remove the posion spider thing and get a factory spare tire mount. looking at the tires tho...if they are 33" or bigger the factory mount will not work, so will need to invest in a tire swing mount that will mount to the rear bumper.

she cant use the factory mount...tires are to big. fyi

I ran 35x12.5x17 on the factory mount for 2 years. So no. The tires are not too big.

anw7405

Observer
okay....one more problem. She can not find the original hardware. Does anybody know what size bolts and thread type/ length come on the stock tire carriers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1