netbooks

haven

Expedition Leader
No single name has been generally adopted for the portable computers we're talking about in this thread.

Many call them netbooks, meaning a smaller, more portable version of a standard notebook or laptop.

A few use ULPC, for "ultra low cost PC." The small mobile computer is closely tied to research for MIT professor Nicholas Negroponte's "one laptop per child" (OLPC) initiative. See http://www.laptop.org for more about OLPC.

Others use MID, for "mobile internet device." This covers a broad range of form factors, from the Blackberry, iPhone, Sony XPERIA X1 and an assortment of other phones with QUERTY keyboards attached, to larger devices like Nokia's N810.

Another term sometimes used is UMPC, for "ultra-mobile PC," but this usually refers to somewhat smaller computers like the OQO, Flipbook, the Sony VGN-UX17 and Wibrain I1 (that's "eye one").

I think I'll stick to "netbook."

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
I overlooked one term used to describe small computers. It's "ultraportable."

Ultraportables are expensive executive-class computers, usually with 11 to 13 inch screens, fast dual core processor and lots of extras. They typically weight close to 3 lbs. even though they are usually equipped with an optical drive. Prices start around $1500 and head up from there.

The best-known ultraportable is the MacBook Air, but there are examples from Lenovo, Asus, Toshiba, and of course, Sony.

The ultraportable class of computer is wonderful, but the cost of entry is too high for me!

eugene

Explorer
I spent $1500 on an ultraportable. I was able to justify it because it meant for one thing I didn't need to buy a PDA and I'm still running it after 6 years now, I bought it in December of 2002. So it works out to only $250/year.

Chris

Adventurer
I almost hate to mention it but have any of you seen or herd of the General Dynamics Itronix MR1 ?

Very expensive.... However its a full on computer that is fully rugged top notch wireless the best full sun daylight screen (500 NIT) backlit for night time stealth and the best internal GPS on the market. IMHO. touch screen too.

Oh and it fits in a BDU pant pocket.

GD Itronix also makes the full size lightest fully rugged laptop on the mrket as well. check it out, with that its all one would need for fun travel expo travel and office work.

wish I could pick the right six numbers!!!!

Enjoy! :jumping:

Nuclear Redneck

Adventurer
I just purchased an Acer Aspire One. So far so good. Due to a PEBCAK* error, it took me a little while to get the wifi up and running. Once I did though I was able to surf the internet in my living room without firing up other really big loud, hot HP laptop.

I'm not sure how rugged it would be in the truck, but I can see taking it and using it in camp. I have just about decided againist setting up a computer to do the navigation while I'm driving. I think I'm too distractable.:elkgrin:

I'll let you know how it turnig out for me. Oh, it cost me $349 at Office Depot.

*Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard

Roktoys84

Adventurer
I got my Aspire One today and so far I love it. No problems setting up wifi or anything else for that matter. The battery life is awesome, almost 6 hours surfing the web. I went with the 6 cell, 160 GB model. I had no problems installing everything from a flashdrive and a portable usb powered hard drive, which didn't seem to affect the battery life very much. The touch pad is a bit different but I'm already getting used to it. First impression is very good. Now I just need to find a mounting solution for the Jeep.

haven

Expedition Leader
In partnership with ATT, Dell is now offering the option of a HSDPA/EDGE 3G card for the Inspiron Mini 9 netbook. Adding the 3G card gives you wireless VOIP, video and data services through the ATT cell phone network.

When ordered through Dell, the cost of the ATT wireless data card is $125. ATT is offering a $120 rebate on the card if you sign up for a two year contract. The cost of the ATT BroadbandConnect service is $60 a month. Read details here: http://www.dell.com/att

It's easy to add the 3G hardware. There's a slot labeled WWAN inside the Mini 9, accessible by removing the back panel of the computer. A 3G cell phone radio is plugged in here. The SIM card goes in a slot in the battery compartment.

[Edit: Apparently Mini 9 models sold in USA up to today have space on the system board for the WWAN connector, but the connector itself is not present. Similarly, there's a slot in the battery compartment for a SIM card, but the connector is not present. While it's possible for someone with soldering experience to add the proper connectors, the rest of us should pay Dell the extra $125 to receive the Mini 9 with connectors installed.]

The resulting system has typical downloads from 700 kbps - 1.7 Mbps, according to Dell. Uploads are up to 384 kbps. (Color me skeptical about this claim.)

ATT has BroadbandConnect service in most metro areas in USA. When you're outside this service footprint, the radio uses ATT's slower EDGE service. EDGE is available in 17,000 cities and towns. Here's the USA coverage map
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

GSM is the most widely adopted cell phone technology. 165 countries have EDGE service, about 95 of those offer 3G. So the Mini 9 plus 3G wireless data card can be used with a local service contract in almost any country. Dell sells the Mini 9 with Vodaphone service in Europe, for example.

Chip Haven

Acronym attack:

3G = the third generation of International Telecommunication Union (ITU) standards for packet switched digital wireless network

EDGE = Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution (considered 2.75G, in other words, not quite 3G in speed or features)

GSM = Global System for Mobile Communications, a wireless network technology

HDSPA = High-Speed Downlink Packet Access

VOIP = Voice over Internet Protocol, used by internet phone services, such as Skype

haven

Expedition Leader
I have been using a Dell Mini 9 for the past few days. It's an impressive machine: Well built, good touch to the keyboard, lightweight, 4+ hours battery life, sensitive WiFi radio. I bought a refurbished model to save a few dollars.

I chose the Dell because I wanted to try a computer with solid state drive. So far, no big issues with the drive. It's slower to write than a conventional drive, but it reads real fast. It takes about 40 seconds to boot up. I have read that it's possible to reconfigure the machine so it would take less than 30 seconds to start.

The Mini 9 has no fan, Heat is dissipated through the body of the computer. This makes the machine completely silent in operation--very nice! The computer does become warm after a half hour. In the cold, it becomes a lap warmer. In summer, the heat would be less welcome.

The Mini 9 has a few issues. The keyboard layout is a little too cramped for touch typing with all your fingers. I'm getting better, but still type mostly with index and middle fingers only. The 9 inch display is a bit too small for me to read without leaning forward a bit, which leads to neck strain after a while. The screen has a limited range of tilt, and I have found several situations where more tilt would be welcome.

Now for the deal-breaker: The screen is covered in highly reflective plastic. It's like a mirror any time there's a light behind you. I had to change where I sit at my desk because I was looking straight into the reflection of the ceiling light above me. The reflections are not a problem in dim light, only where it's bright. And forget about using the Mini 9 in full sun.

So the Dell is going back. I made a template of the dimensions of a typical 10 inch netbook. It's about 3/4inch wider in each side. This small difference allows a closer to normal keyboard, without adding much weight. I will also look for a model with a matte finish on the screen.

I have enjoyed using the Mini 9 in all parts of the house. I particularly like sitting in a recliner with it in my lap. It's small enough to fit unobtrusively on a cafe table, leaving enough room for the croissants.

Chip Haven
(typed on the Mini 9 in the living room)

haven

Expedition Leader
I find myself taking the Dell Mini 9 to places around the house where I have not used a computer before. Some locations are dimly lit, which makes the keyboard hard to read. (I'm not yet familiar with all the non-standard locations of the keys.)

Enter the USB-powered LCD light:

dellminiwusblight.jpg

I found this particular model, with 10 white LEDs, on EBay. Price was $5.70, including delivery from Hong Kong.

The seller was Bosity. The item description was "USB 10 LED Reading Night Light Notebook Laptop Flexible."

So now I have the ability to sit anywhere -- outside on the patio at night, on a night flight with the cabin lights dimmed, in a camp chair outside the tent, while traveling in a car at night -- and use the laptop without an extra source of light. The USB light is supported by a flexible metal conduit, so you can adjust its position to suit your viewing angle.

If anything, the 10 LED light is brighter than it needs to be for a netbook. I think a 3 LED model would be fine for a device the size of a netbook. The 10 LED light does work very well with my iMac keyboard.

I don't yet have a sense of the battery draw of the USB light, but I expect it to be minimal. LEDs are quite efficient. I'll post about my experiences.

Chip Haven

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
O.K. Chip

If you were looking for a netbook to run GPS and maps in the rig, which one would you get? It will need to pull double duty; A laptop around the house and ExPo sled navigation.

Thanks in advance
j-

haven

Expedition Leader
The netbook I'm looking for will have
-- a large-ish keyboard
-- a matte screen, rather than a glossy one
-- a solid state disc large enough to hold the GPS map information I need

[warning: rambling post follows]

Unfortunately, this netbook, so far as I know, does not exist at a reasonable price. The problem is the cost of the larger SSDs. I'd want a 32 GB model at a minimum, 64 GB would be better. SSDs this large are still very expensive.

If I had to purchase a netbook today, I'd have to go with a model that has a conventional rotating disc. 60 or 80 GB would be enough, but if I had to purchase a 160 GB disc I wouldn't complain.

I find the keyboards that are used with the 8.9 inch screens to have too many compromises (smaller keys, some keys in non-standard places). However, many people find the Acer Aspire One, with 8.9 inch screen, does have a workable keyboard, so I think I would include this model in the discussion.

The keyboard used on models with a 10 or 10.2 inch display generally has fewer compromises, so I'd look primarily at that size.

Recently, netbooks have been introduced that a have larger keyboard, but use the 8.9 inch screen. One example is the Asus 904, which has a matte screen. These models are a little cheaper than similar units with 10 inch displays.

Here's a list of netbook models that have larger keyboards, matte display, and standard hard disc.

Asus EEE 1000H, 1000HA, 1002HA, 904
Lenovo Ideapad S10
MSI Wind U100
Samsung NC10

All are available with larger 6 cell battery, or smaller 3 cell battery.

Of these, the Samsung NC10 has the best reviews. It's also the most expensive model in the list. I have not used one personally.

There are a number of changes coming to netbooks in the next few months. I expect to see new lower power processor designs, better battery technology, improved graphics, and new companies (such as Sony and Apple) entering the netbook marketplace. We should know more after the CES show in January.

Another trend is netbooks with built-in 3G wireless capability. These models will be offered at a discount price by cell phone companies. For example, there's news that Radio Shack will sell the Acer Aspire One with 3G card for $99 if you sign a two year contract with ATT for digital wireless service ($60 a month). It's worth considering if you want the most flexible communication option.

Chip Haven

soonenough

Explorer
haven said:
Enter the USB-powered LCD light:

dellminiwusblight.jpg
haven - does the light stay in place after you position it? I had a smaller 1-LED light kind of like that one, but after you positioned it to where you wanted it, it would slowly flex back to its previous position every time. It drove me crazy and I stopped using it after about 10 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1